Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed lately that my car will lose cell service inexplicably in areas where this never happened before (like my garage). It will be out for sometimes hours, then just come back at full strength - even though the car hasn’t moved. I don’t have a good way to test if this is a carrier issue or a physical hardware problem. Has anyone seen this, or have ideas on how to further troubleshoot?

Well I have Verizon and I get garbage service everywhere so you are doing better than me there. :)

Now, I do know, from speaking directly with Verizon level 2 techs yesterday (regarding some VOIP to POTS handoff's failing), there was an outage in the Seattle metro area yesterday morning through midday/afternoon. Perhaps your most recent drop in signal quality was somehow related to that?

Well I have Verizon and I get garbage service everywhere so you are doing better than me there. :)

Now, I do know, from speaking directly with Verizon level 2 techs yesterday (regarding some VOIP to POTS handoff's failing), there was an outage in the Seattle metro area yesterday morning through midday/afternoon. Perhaps your most recent drop in signal quality was somehow related to that?
Tesla uses AT&T, so Verizon is unrelated to my concerns. My phones are all Verizon and it rules everywhere where I live, but again, not related to my car issues.

I’ve noticed lately that my car will lose cell service inexplicably in areas where this never happened before (like my garage). It will be out for sometimes hours, then just come back at full strength - even though the car hasn’t moved. I don’t have a good way to test if this is a carrier issue or a physical hardware problem. Has anyone seen this, or have ideas on how to further troubleshoot?
AT&T has an outage tool, but it only shows if your location has a problem currently (not historical).
AT&T and DIRECTV Service Outage Information

You can find your nearby AT&T towers using this map (using location search on the left side menu), but it won't show outages.
AT&T Mobility (United States of America) Cell Tower Map

Last edited:
Reactions: pnwadventures