Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Screen Display Charging Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

Is there a way to permanently display the charging info on the center screen when plugged in with the car doors locked?

Here is my use case. My work provides free L2 charging. There are several parking spaces per charger and it's first come first served. I'd like to keep the charging info on the screen so others can see how much time is left until full charge. Our parking policy is to unplug and plug in a fellow EV driver and move our car when done. The problem is, sometimes charging finishes when I'm in a meeting. Sometimes it's a long meeting. This happens for others as well. It's also allowed for others to unplug your car if it's done charging. With the info displayed, others can see and plan their day around when to plug in their own car if I'm stuck in a meeting. Without an efficient way to unplug and plug in the next car, each charger charges on average 2 cars per day. If chargers could be utilized as soon as cars are done charging, we can charge close to 3 cars per day per charger. We have about 25 chargers and so many EVs that 2 per charges per day per charger isn't enough for all EVs to get a full charge. I'm just looking to make things better for fellow EV drivers at my work.

Thanks.

You can unlock the charge port from the app when done charging.

Also we are leaving a little note indicating the approximate time for the charge to complete when using public chargers (in French but you indicate with a paper clip the time so you can reuse this note all the time) :
kXePc7n.png

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
You could put a note on the inside of your charger door with your cell number. People can SMS you and you can unlock the charger from the app.

Just leave a note on when they can unplug. (Better yet, maybe the EV owners can get together a buy a small white board so everyone can write down when they can be unplugged.)

No need to be contacted to unlock the car (assuming J1772) as the adapter is locked to the car, not the plug. A J1772 plug can be pulled out leaving the adapter connected to the car (which you don't want someone to take anyway).

Leaving a note is a great idea and that form shared is helpful. Can't believe I didn't think of it.

It's correct that unlocking the port isn't the issue. The j1772 never locks to the adapter.

75 cars don't all NEED to be charged. But we have maybe 20 PHEV and 25 random EVs and 30 Teslas. I usually drive my Kia Soul EV but sometimes take my M3 in. My biggest pet peeve are weak OBCs of PHEVs. Absolutely a waste to take approx 3 hours to charge for 30 to 50 miles of range.

Thank you all.

The PHEV cars need to go. isn't that the advantage of a PHEV anyway?

Interesting problem. I can't see how all will need to charge at work. Surely some (like the PHEV) are taking advantage of the free aspect.

Why not create a time schedule of some sort? As it stands each charger must service 3 cars per day so why not give everyone 3 hours on a charger (for example)? Of course everyone won't receive the same amount of energy, but the charging time will be equal. I believe time is a recognized way to charge customers for charging out and about so I can't see how anyone could make a valid argument against it.