Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New black M3P.

Already stressing over washing. Using 2 bucket method with grit guard and micro fibre mitt.

Reading about ceramic cost and quoted £650 from ceramic pro for :

1 layer base coat 9h & 1 layer top coat.
5 year durability, 8k miles per year.

Thoughts? Reasonable? How much easier is this to keep clean?

Price is about right, actually reasonably good.

Worth every penny, makes it easier to clean, protects from bird sh*t, tree sap, etc.

You will need to top it up every year or so (less than £100 ish).

Had 3 cars with Gtechniq applied and well worth it.

I have a new M3P in black too and waiting for Tesla to fix a minor paint issue before having it done on mine.

Reactions: Durzel
Find out what they would be using on the car in terms of products. It ought to be something like Gtechniq or Gyeon (but don’t suggest that to them - see if they tell you).

Detailing is unfortunately one of those things where it’s not necessarily definitive how much you pay, or how good a job it’ll be. Try and find some reviews (ones they don’t have any control over - e.g. Google or Facebook ones) to get a sense of their past work.

The price doesn’t sound outrageous to me on the face of it.

Had ceramic coating applied 2.5 years ago now, this is the only 'washing' our X gets every few months, I used the cheapest shampoo from Halfords.

49078640222_39a474b629_z.jpg

The car surface still beads water when its 'clean' after a wash :).

I paid a similar amount as what the OP is quoted, will get it reapplied in a few years time.

49345111662_1c422edc9e_z.jpg

Just got my Long Range back from CPP. Had it done over the Easter Weekend. Cost me about the same, but I had the glass, wheels and interior done too (the guy talked me into it :) ). I also had the hydrophobic coating put on too. He used Gtechniq.

Thus far, it looks fabulous! Even better than the original paint, straight out of the show room collection point. It feels much smoother, as if rain will just slide off it. Thus far, though, we've had no rain or dirt to test it, so I can't say more.

Hi,
I waiting for my M3 midnight silver and am interested in ceramic coating for few reasons:

Get and keep deep gloss
Park under a tree which means car quickly coated in a black film if not washed
Ease of future washing / polishing.

Found a few local detailers, who have positive reviews but they are recommending differing products or numbers of coatings.

For example

A
Detailing plus Mayvinci C16 3 years of beading, gloss, ease of cleaning, plus protection £480

Detailing plus Mayvinci Ayanamo 5 years of beading, gloss, ease of cleaning, plus protection £600

Detailing plus Mayvinci Oracle 5 years selfhealing on fine washing scratches. Highest gloss rating of any coating £900

B
LABOCOSMETICA £600 I layer 2 years, second layer 4 years

C
Detail plus a single layer hard curing Gtechniq Ceramic Coating £660

Detail plus a dual layer hard curing Gtechniq Ceramic Coating £1125

Tempted with Mayvinci Ayanamo or oracle, but would appreciate any comments

Don't polish a car with a ceramic coating. You may be referring to waxing or applying a sealant, but why would you do that if you have a ceramic coated car?

The coatings make very little difference to the 'glossiness' of the paint. That mostly comes from the polishing done beforehand. How much polishing are each of these options doing?

Also check the T&Cs for the long life coatings. Some of them require annual inspections and don't cover normal wear and tear.
Detailingworld is a great forum to ask these questions.

Thanks, sorry meant that coating would be easier for washing including not having to do any polishing.
Interesting about the glossiness.

I'm wondering if the self healing more expensive products are a bit overkill and gimmicky.

The polishing and finishing work the company offering Mayvinci products looks detailed and the same for all of their three coatings.

Thanks, sorry meant that coating would be easier for washing including not having to do any polishing.
Interesting about the glossiness.

I'm wondering if the self healing more expensive products are a bit overkill and gimmicky.

The polishing and finishing work the company offering Mayvinci products looks detailed and the same for all of their three coatings.
I don't really know too much about the self healing products, but that forum will answer any questions you have. Just be aware that keeping a car clean can be addictive :)

I waiting for my M3 midnight silver and am interested in ceramic coating for few reasons:

It's not worth the money. There are lots of excellent polishes, waxes and other products which are easy to apply and washing with snowfoam is soooooooo easy. If you've got money to burn and no time to squirt some stuff on your car then do it else - spend your money on something else.