Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating - Yes or No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all,

Just placed an order for Metallic Blue MY.

Considering ceramic coating but just wanted to know what other people’s thoughts are on this, like do you genuinely believe it has any other benefits apart from looking shinier and wash easier? Will this stuff really add more protection to the paint, make it tougher and more durable etc?

Interested to hear ya thoughts and opinions.

Just my opinion, I am quite sceptical of the ceramic coating claims though i know many swear by it, but the finish is down to the diligence of the person applying it and many people offering it simply see it as a nice little earner riding high on the wave of the current fad.

Much of the shine is down to the prep work, addressing the paintwork for swirls and having paint correction, once the detailing is complete some will apply a carnauba wax and others ceramic coating - its simply a product choice.

Serious detailers wont be finishing a car - and doubt they would ever use the likes of AutoGlym Super Resin Polish or indeed any of the bargain bucket polishes available for under £15 - though those products do have a place for so many motorists. After spending perhaps days correcting paintwork and polishing to perfection it would be a bit stupid to end with a cheap polish - so detailers will be using a Carnauba wax.

Carnauba - just like ceramic coating is applied by hand, though carnauba is applied to the palms of the hand, and massaged into the paintwork - Its really a paste of enzymes that with the air and the heat of your hand turns it into a wax, It gives a super shiny finish and protects the paintwork from the elements - but its finite in its life, 6 months would be a reasonable expectation and the car would need a quick detail and a fresh application of wax.
Carnauba cost wise can be quite cheap or super expensive and the difference in price is in the formulation - a mixture between white and yellow carnauba, Cheap Carnauba - something like R222 (formerly P21) is about £60 a pot and will last for years if your polishing once every 6 months and its a fantastic product worth every penny.
expensive Carnauba - Zymol Vintage is £2400 ish a pot or Zymol Royal £8400 (though they do refill for life the pots)
I used Vintage wax for years and to be honest I saw no difference to that of R222 in both shine, ease of use or longevity.

Ceramic coatings - I'm not saying they are bad but the claims around the product is that you get protection for years and washing is an absolute breeze - all the muck will fall off by just spitting on the car - and that's simply not true. The product may in some formulas provide 12 months of protection against the elements but it does fade in its effectiveness and needs to be reapplied.

If you like cleaning a car and polishing it then buy R222, if you want something that perhaps will reduce the frequency of application then ceramic coating but find a reputable detailer who has a great track record.

Evening all,

Just placed an order for Metallic Blue MY.

Considering ceramic coating but just wanted to know what other people’s thoughts are on this, like do you genuinely believe it has any other benefits apart from looking shinier and wash easier? Will this stuff really add more protection to the paint, make it tougher and more durable etc?

Interested to hear ya thoughts and opinions.
Agree with Badger, I wouldn't bother again unless I had a supercar!

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
M3 blue, ceramic coated.

Wouldn’t bother again. No noticeable difference in protecting paint (didn’t expect a nano coating to protect so not surprised but others said it would) and I now add hydrophobic coating that seems to last 6+ months as part of final rinse during wash.
Interesting. I’ve been using Gtechniq C2 on my current M3 for the last few years, always been amazing finish. Aware it’s not a “ceramic” in certain terms but stil a great finish.

Just my opinion, I am quite sceptical of the ceramic coating claims though i know many swear by it, but the finish is down to the diligence of the person applying it and many people offering it simply see it as a nice little earner riding high on the wave of the current fad.

Much of the shine is down to the prep work, addressing the paintwork for swirls and having paint correction, once the detailing is complete some will apply a carnauba wax and others ceramic coating - its simply a product choice.

Serious detailers wont be finishing a car - and doubt they would ever use the likes of AutoGlym Super Resin Polish or indeed any of the bargain bucket polishes available for under £15 - though those products do have a place for so many motorists. After spending perhaps days correcting paintwork and polishing to perfection it would be a bit stupid to end with a cheap polish - so detailers will be using a Carnauba wax.

Carnauba - just like ceramic coating is applied by hand, though carnauba is applied to the palms of the hand, and massaged into the paintwork - Its really a paste of enzymes that with the air and the heat of your hand turns it into a wax, It gives a super shiny finish and protects the paintwork from the elements - but its finite in its life, 6 months would be a reasonable expectation and the car would need a quick detail and a fresh application of wax.
Carnauba cost wise can be quite cheap or super expensive and the difference in price is in the formulation - a mixture between white and yellow carnauba, Cheap Carnauba - something like R222 (formerly P21) is about £60 a pot and will last for years if your polishing once every 6 months and its a fantastic product worth every penny.
expensive Carnauba - Zymol Vintage is £2400 ish a pot or Zymol Royal £8400 (though they do refill for life the pots)
I used Vintage wax for years and to be honest I saw no difference to that of R222 in both shine, ease of use or longevity.

Ceramic coatings - I'm not saying they are bad but the claims around the product is that you get protection for years and washing is an absolute breeze - all the muck will fall off by just spitting on the car - and that's simply not true. The product may in some formulas provide 12 months of protection against the elements but it does fade in its effectiveness and needs to be reapplied.

If you like cleaning a car and polishing it then buy R222, if you want something that perhaps will reduce the frequency of application then ceramic coating but find a reputable detailer who has a great track record.
Brilliant mate, thanks

It really depends how diligent you are going to be once the ceramic coating has been applied - it is not a 'apply once' and forget product.

Once applied, it will make washing easier and (assuming the car was well prepped and the ceramic coating correctly applied) give a good basis to maintain going forwards, but you will still need to wash the car using good detailing practices otherwise the car will still accumulate swirls and scratches.

I'd rather just take the car from new and wash / wax on a regular basis using a good quality wax (Zymol).

It really depends how diligent you are going to be once the ceramic coating has been applied - it is not a 'apply once' and forget product.

Once applied, it will make washing easier and (assuming the car was well prepped and the ceramic coating correctly applied) give a good basis to maintain going forwards, but you will still need to wash the car using good detailing practices otherwise the car will still accumulate swirls and scratches.

I'd rather just take the car from new and wash / wax on a regular basis using a good quality wax (Zymol).
Think this is the route I’m going down mate

Brilliant, thanks. So would you say wax over ceramic for paint protection? Don’t get me wrong I’m not expected bulletproof car here but with this colour etx I’m slightly worried about chips (although I’ve had this white model 3 for 3 years and there’s not a chip to be seen), plus the likes of swirls etx (even although I do wash properly 2 bucket method).

Yes. A good ceramic, or a more modern self healing coating, should not require anything on top after being done...for about 5 to 10 years. If you are the sort of person who likes cleaning your car with a toothbrush and ear buds (I did!) With a professional £500+ detail and ceramic you should get similar results in an hour to what took 4 hours cleaning polishing etc.. And you could wash it with any cheapo shampoo dry and thats it. Find somone who has indoor premises it should take 2 days. Never ever let the dealer do it. In fact tell them on collection day not to spray any of their shiny silicone anywhere near your car because they will scratch it for you from day one. If you worry about stone chips a bumper/mirrors ppf should protect for most of them and cost £350.

Brilliant, thanks. So would you say wax over ceramic for paint protection? Don’t get me wrong I’m not expected bulletproof car here but with this colour etx I’m slightly worried about chips (although I’ve had this white model 3 for 3 years and there’s not a chip to be seen), plus the likes of swirls etx (even although I do wash properly 2 bucket method).
I would without reservation go with a proper wax, and indeed i practice what i preach, however, I do love detailing.
Waxing is something your doing at home - ceramics tend to be done by businesses - even though you can do it at home and anything done by someone else means you have no control over the quality of application.

Wax, I use R222 even though I do have access to Zymol Vintage wax - the difference in price R222 = £60, Zymol = £2400 - after years of detailing I really cant find any difference between the two products.
If you prep your car right just the once and apply the wax you will be stunned by the results and going forwards the 6 monthly application of wax (I do it just before and just after Winter each year) will be less than a days work and the easiest/quickest way of doing it is with a (DA) orbital polisher, a soft pad and meguires 80 speed glaze. A DA polisher is safe to use even for a complete novice and you wont burn paint or wear through on swage lines - bugger all to be afraid of - I use a DA but do have a rotary, simply because the DA is lovely to use, the rotary is an absolute pig plus high points/swage lines its so easy to overheat the paint and burn through - only used by me for really bad areas as its a lot quicker to sort out the paint correction needed.

Paint has a level of hardness - the lighter the colour the harder it is, White is very very hard, black is super soft - darker colours suffer swirl marks far more easily and even if you wash carefully you cant avoid some light swirls.
To see those swirls - look at the panel like you would a mirror and look for the sun - all the swirls will be seen, swirls impact on the light refraction, DA polish the panel and look again at the sun - the difference is staggering - it results in a deeper looking colour and almost a wet look. a good waxing - a pea size blob of R222 in your palm, rub your hands together then massage it onto the panel - you will look a twat, leave for about 5 mins and buff off - do it panel by panel, don't leave wax to dry because its hard work getting it off and carnauba doesn't leave white marks if you accidently get it on plastic trim.

Chips - maybe have PPF to front end and if you don't have mud flaps do the sills and leading edges of the front wings too. Chipex kit for touch ups.

I would without reservation go with a proper wax, and indeed i practice what i preach, however, I do love detailing.
Waxing is something your doing at home - ceramics tend to be done by businesses - even though you can do it at home and anything done by someone else means you have no control over the quality of application.

Wax, I use R222 even though I do have access to Zymol Vintage wax - the difference in price R222 = £60, Zymol = £2400 - after years of detailing I really cant find any difference between the two products.
If you prep your car right just the once and apply the wax you will be stunned by the results and going forwards the 6 monthly application of wax (I do it just before and just after Winter each year) will be less than a days work and the easiest/quickest way of doing it is with a (DA) orbital polisher, a soft pad and meguires 80 speed glaze. A DA polisher is safe to use even for a complete novice and you wont burn paint or wear through on swage lines - bugger all to be afraid of - I use a DA but do have a rotary, simply because the DA is lovely to use, the rotary is an absolute pig plus high points/swage lines its so easy to overheat the paint and burn through - only used by me for really bad areas as its a lot quicker to sort out the paint correction needed.

Paint has a level of hardness - the lighter the colour the harder it is, White is very very hard, black is super soft - darker colours suffer swirl marks far more easily and even if you wash carefully you cant avoid some light swirls.
To see those swirls - look at the panel like you would a mirror and look for the sun - all the swirls will be seen, swirls impact on the light refraction, DA polish the panel and look again at the sun - the difference is staggering - it results in a deeper looking colour and almost a wet look. a good waxing - a pea size blob of R222 in your palm, rub your hands together then massage it onto the panel - you will look a twat, leave for about 5 mins and buff off - do it panel by panel, don't leave wax to dry because its hard work getting it off and carnauba doesn't leave white marks if you accidently get it on plastic trim.

Chips - maybe have PPF to front end and if you don't have mud flaps do the sills and leading edges of the front wings too. Chipex kit for touch ups.
Amazing man, much appreciated. I’ve always looked after my cars but never to this depth. I’ll certainly take your advice here and if you’ve got any links for any of that gear or best places to purchase from, then please share them.

Reference the chips etc. well we’ve had the M3 for the last 3 years and there’s no chips at all. I mean we’re 95% door to door and only really on motorways maybe half a dozen times a year. The M3 has done well I guess and that’s without any PPF. I’ve noticed the MY already has PPF attached on the rear passenger doors and I’ll be honest I think it looks god awful, can clearly see where it is and I want to take it off. It has mud flaps from and rear though, something my M3 doesn’t.

Never ever let the dealer do it

I've had PPF on both my MS - I figured the car was expensive enough that I might be annoyed by stone chips. I never (well "almost never") wash my cars, just "A-to-B" for me.

The PPF people said "Don't let the dealer touch the car - this advice applies whether you are bringing us a Ferrari or a Fiesta" - it will be time consuming for them to correct someone else's attempt at detailing.

As an aside the PPF has been good. Don't have to rush to clean bird poo off, and nice not to have to care about snuggling up against countryside hedges

PPF is around £5K - strikes me as being more justifiable on a 100K car than a 50K one ...