Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating and Tints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hayesy

Oct 14, 2021
UK
Hi all,

I Have a M3 on order, and want to get some form of protection and tinting upon delivery. I have been quoted a couple of options, is the Gtechniq worth the extra, are these prices about right? What are the differences between the coatings?

Wax is dead (states 2 years) £420
Gtechniq Serum Ultra (states 9 years) £900

Tints £396

Thanks.

Do either of these costs include polishing the car?
Coincidentally I found this yesterday. It shows the state your paint could arrive in and the difference polishing can make.

Personally I wouldn't get a ceramic coating without correcting the paint first. You're just going to lock in whatever Tesla feels is acceptable (or within tolerance :) ) If you look at the video you can see that most of the shine is coming from the polishing and not from the ceramic.

To answer your original question, It's unlikely that your coating will last 9 years unless you are very careful about washing it. They also state that you need to return your car to the detailer ever 12 months for an inspection to maintain the guarantee. They've also got quite a list of exclusions.

Again, I'd spend the money on a good polishing and a 2 year coating. YMMV.

Reactions: Washout
I had quotes for Gtechniq for around the 500 mark so i'd say that price you've got is a very high. Its worth noting that my quotes were from guys on their website listed as authorised "installers" or whatever.

Tints sound about right. Of course it depends a lot on what area your in.

I think a great deal depends on whether you are looking for an award winning finish.
Personally I gave it a DIY "ceramic" (I know...) coat soon after delivery and another every six months or so.
Takes an afternoon and leaves my car looking sparkling with great water run-off with no worries about the inevitable dings at the supermatrket

I think a great deal depends on whether you are looking for an award winning finish.
Personally I gave it a DIY "ceramic" (I know...) coat soon after delivery and another every six months or so.
Takes an afternoon and leaves my car looking sparkling with great water run-off with no worries about the inevitable dings at the supermatrket
I've done that as well, but it's much much better with a polish. Also what did you coat it with to protect it from dings at the supermarket? Depleted Uranium? :)

Just had my Deep Blue Metallic M3 cleaned, polished and coated with technic GSU by Bellissimoto in Bermondsey and it looks spectacular now. I actually notice how dull looking other blue Tesla are in comparison.
When I picked it up it was badly swirled and when first washed I could see it was picking up more micro scratches no matter how careful I was. Time will tell but with Tesla's famously soft paintwork I'm much happier knowing that it's got a tougher coating on it. (Especially since I can't convince the family to minimise touching the paint and close the doors by the glass) I'm also really looking forward to it being much easier to keep clean.
If it's still looking good in 4 or 5 years time when it comes to replace it then I'll make some of the cost back. And I'll have had a really good looking car until then. So I think it's a good deal.

Reactions: jhnbssll and init6
I am tempted with a ceramic coating and windows - but wondering if worth the money! And so many different ceramic options..???!

I've got delivery date, so need to decide. Interested in your thoughts.
I would recommend getting ceramic coating done. Ideally you want someone who's recommended. I had my other car done last year in Edinburgh, by the guys at Project21 Detailing, and it was awesome. Car had very deep shine, never needed polishing, wheels being coated meant easier to clean too. Worth it in my opinion.

I would recommend getting ceramic coating done. Ideally you want someone who's recommended. I had my other car done last year in Edinburgh, by the guys at Project21 Detailing, and it was awesome. Car had very deep shine, never needed polishing, wheels being coated meant easier to clean too. Worth it in my opinion.
Any idea, how long does the ceramic coat last? I'm thinking whether its worth getting the ceramic coat or PPF.

Think it depends on the coating used. Mine was Gyeon Quartz, and after 18 months it was still like it was on day 1. BMW is getting done soon, Tesla I'll do couple of months after I finally get it
Novice question. What are the benefits of ceramic coating? Is it worth the money? Thinking about getting it but want to know a little more about it before I do.

I apologise in advance for the noddy questions.

Novice question. What are the benefits of ceramic coating? Is it worth the money? Thinking about getting it but want to know a little more about it before I do.

I apologise in advance for the noddy questions.
Think about the longest lasting wax you've ever seen... it'll help keep the car clean, will help avoid minor scratches/swirls and have a deep shine. Is it worth it? Thats subjective, but you will want to do _something_ to protect the paint on your new car. Ceramic coating is the gold standard.

Reactions: fantasmagorica