Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating Paint Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you put the ceramic coating first, the XPel won't adhere to it, so if you want both XPel and Ceramic Coating, the XPel goes on first.

Also, the XPel healing is powered by UV light, and that passes through the ceramic glass coating, so you still have the healing feature. The ceramic coating is hydrophobic and helps repel water (which can leave mineral marks) and helps keep the vehicle clean. It's much easier to keep a ceramic coated vehicle clean, not to mention it give it a more glossy finish.

If you put the ceramic coating first, the XPel won't adhere to it, so if you want both XPel and Ceramic Coating, the XPel goes on first.

Also, the XPel healing is powered by UV light, and that passes through the ceramic glass coating, so you still have the healing feature. The ceramic coating is hydrophobic and helps repel water (which can leave mineral marks) and helps keep the vehicle clean. It's much easier to keep a ceramic coated vehicle clean, not to mention it give it a more glossy finish.

Agree on no ceramic under the XPEL but disagree with the rest

XPEL healing is powered by heat, hot water, sunlight, engine heat, but that's not important

Ceramic coatings are anywhere from 1-3 microns thick, light swirls or scratches will lie only in this ceramic layer, which is not self healing

XPEL is still pristine under the ceramic, nothing has scratched it so there's nothing for the XPEL to self heal, so when the company says a ceramic coating doesn't affect it's self healing properties, that is a true statement

XPEL would still heal if scratched, but the ceramic took the scratches and will build up over time unless you have the ceramic removed and reapplied

Thoughts?

Agree on no ceramic under the XPEL but disagree with the rest

XPEL healing is powered by heat, hot water, sunlight, engine heat, but that's not important

Ceramic coatings are anywhere from 1-3 microns thick, light swirls or scratches will lie only in this ceramic layer, which is not self healing

XPEL is still pristine under the ceramic, nothing has scratched it so there's nothing for the XPEL to self heal, so when the company says a ceramic coating doesn't affect it's self healing properties, that is a true statement

XPEL would still heal if scratched, but the ceramic took the scratches and will build up over time unless you have the ceramic removed and reapplied

Thoughts?
What you say makes sense. I'm not an expert in this area. I'm just coming up to speed, since this is my first XPel/Ceramic Coating experience. I've been trying to learn as much as I can from TMC.

Anyone have experience repairing surface scratches on CQuartz Finest?

Had my entire MS done, then got several scratches on the hood -- I believe it was from blowing tree debris/tumble weeds while the car was parked. The installer told me the entire hood would have to be redone as buffing and spot reapplication would show. I find this rather bothersome as it would be a simple 30min fix at home if I applied a basic polymer wax. Has anyone used CarPro Reload for surface scratches?

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the CQuartz.

The installer is all important. Doing the paint correction and getting out all of the little scratches before starting the coating process is very important. I had Ceramic Pro done at Pismo Detailing in CA and was very happy with the way my Blue S looked better than new. They had it 4.5 days, but told me not to get it wet for 3 weeks and they would do the first wash to inspect the car. As I write this, I don't have long time experience, but love the shine and finish.

Reactions: FlyF4
I looked at both XPEL and SunTek for the visual appearance and decided for the more glossy, clearer appearance of the SunTek. Reflections in the XPEL seemed pixelated, and is best checked with the reflections of the fluorescent tubes or the branches of a tree in the protected painted surface when compared with the windshield.

Totally agree and I did the same thing.... SunTek. And I put C-Quartz on other parts of the car. The film is only on the front areas, hood, mirrors and under the door. The car is so easy to wash and keep clean. After almost a year (11,000 miles) and after a high speed drive across the USA, the car still looks like the day it was delivered, without a single ding on it. I also put a similar product on the interior leather to prevent stains from seeping in.

Reactions: Mark Z