Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating Paint Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with ceramic coating? Wondering how it stacks up against Xpel in terms of protection, longevity, and appearance.

I've been referred to a shop that uses a product called Ceramic Pro 9H - Permanent nanoceramic protective paint coating. Trying to understand the pluses and minuses from anyone who's had it applied (on an X preferably :biggrin:).

Other options: OptiCoat Pro, Cquartz and Modesta. Cross referencing Tesla Forum: https://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/ceramic-pro-vs-opticoat-pro

Last edited:
See my post in the interior and exterior subforum on the various coatings. I've concluded based on the responses there and PM conversations with a few folks and a detailer that XPEL + cQuartz is the right total package. XPEL on key vulnerable areas (it's 205 mils thick vs other options which are 5-6mils) as a sacrificial layer that can be removed and re-added when damaged with cQuartz to prevent things like big juice from damaging the XPEL.

Edit: microns, not mils.

Last edited:
I looked at both XPEL and SunTek for the visual appearance and decided for the more glossy, clearer appearance of the SunTek. Reflections in the XPEL seemed pixelated, and is best checked with the reflections of the fluorescent tubes or the branches of a tree in the protected painted surface when compared with the windshield.

The SunTek looks like a thick clear coat. Tesla's clear coat overspray on my Model X Signature added raised specks required a wet sanding and compounding of the clear coat for both product samples to lay flat with no visual flaws. Hopefully, no one else will need such drastic measures.

I called Moe Mistry to double check about the mil thickness difference. XPEL is 8.1 mils. While my PPF C SunTek installation is specified at 8 mils, feeling the material is the real test. IMHO, even I agree with Moe that it feels closer to 7 mils.

C.Quartz Finest was applied to the SunTek and painted surfaces and the results are magnificent.

SunTek Model X.JPG

Letting Moe at Glistening Perfection demonstrate the differences between XPEL and SunTek made the choice easier. I will be taking a chance on a cross-country road trip, but the LA/OC daily drives are not as damaging. I need to stay far behind trucks anyway to protect the windshield from damage.

Here are links to the thickness data. Let the manufacturers argue the details. Choose what you like and enjoy driving your Tesla vehicle!

Self Healing Paint Protection Film - XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/PPF Specifications.pdf

1 mil = 25.4 microns

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski_
...Did you change the wrap locations from your first report...?
No changes. Here is the list of what was requested:

Full Hood
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Fenders
Headlights
Mirrors
Rear Spoiler
Rear Hatch trailing edge
A-Pillar (both sides)
Rear Hatch aluminum insert - matte film (to decrease sheen marks on the latch)

The matte film looks great on the aluminum hatch plate. However, the same matte film hides the X pattern of the decorative plate on the driver's door sill. The glossy material helps, but the reflections are undesirable. Tesla Motors created a show interior that is so well designed that it is a shame to do anything to cover the excellent appearance. The answer is simple: "Please remove your shoes before stepping into the vehicle."

Last edited:
Looks magnificent!

Did the parking sensors give you that perfect distance from the curb?

Hope the dive was as perfect as the finish on your beautiful Model X Signature!

yes...the dives were great (one of my shots from the dive)...
And initially I stopped at when it said 18"....but I thought it was too far out....so I got back in and continued...till it said "stop"...perfect

Pink Anemone.jpg

Have had Ceramic Pro 9H applied to my Obsidian Black MS. Looks great but the key is probably to get a good authorised professional to apply it. Also did wheels.
Am now going to put Xpel on the front section only (front bumper, lights, half hood) for protection against stone chips.

Does anyone have any experience with ceramic coating? Wondering how it stacks up against Xpel in terms of protection, longevity, and appearance.

I've been referred to a shop that uses a product called Ceramic Pro 9H - Permanent nanoceramic protective paint coating. Trying to understand the pluses and minuses from anyone who's had it applied (on an X preferably :biggrin:).

Other options: OptiCoat Pro, Cquartz and Modesta. Cross referencing Tesla Forum: https://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/ceramic-pro-vs-opticoat-pro

Choosing the right shop/installer is far more important than the product used, IMHO. Be careful of claims that state "permanent" or "lifetime", etc. truth is, at best, most coatings last 18-24 months under "normal" conditions. This assumes proper washing 2-4 times per month depending on use and Quarterly/semi-annual maintenance. That's why a professional should give you concrete and realistic facts and solutions to set the correct expectations.

nano coatings have been a game-changer in our industry because, when applied and cared for correctly, the performance is unmatched. There are solutions for keeping the paint clean/slightly scratch resistant, while having amazing gloss/depth/clarity. Solutions are also there to protect leather and interior surfaces from wear and tear. Keeping brake dust off wheels to make it easier to clean, etc.

We've been using nano since 2010 and were sold on the "technology", not a specific brand. There are lots of great brands out there, and even more sketchy ones...so do your due diligence.

We've opted for CarPro and CQuartz Finest because we believe in the product, but more importantly, we believe in the people behind it and what they stand for. Roughly, 110 installers around the country, and each is hand-picked and vetted for. It's unheard of in the industry, and shows that CarPro truly wants the "right" person to use/represent the product and is selective on who can best offer the world-class customer service expected to the consumer.

Your best best bet is to find an installer that's cquartz finest certified, cross reference that with an xpel certified installer, and just drop off your X and let the shop do it's magic. Those two brands are industry-standard and those shop associated with them, are the leading shop this country has to offer. You can't go wrong with that approach.

hope this helps

Last edited:
This is my Model S P85 (2013) with Ceramic Pro protection. This was shot after aprox 50.000km of driving after treatment.

Needless to say, I'm still quite pleased with it!

(PS! I'm very sorry for the lack of HD video.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Choosing the right shop/installer is far more important than the product used, IMHO. Be careful of claims that state "permanent" or "lifetime", etc. truth is, at best, most costing last 18-24 months under "normal" conditions. This assumes proper washing 2-4 times per month depending on use and Quarterly/semi-annual maintenance. That's why a professional should give you concrete and realistic facts and solutions to set the correct expectations.

nano coatings have been a game-changer in our industry because, when applied and cared for correctly, the performance is unmatched. There are solutions for keeping the paint clean/slightly scratch resistant, while having amazing gloss/depth/clarity. Solutions are also there to protect leather and interior surfaces from wear and tear. Keeping brake dust off wheels to make it easier to clean, etc.

We've been using nano since 2010 and were sold on the "technology", not a specific brand. There are lots of great brands out there, and even more sketchy ones...so do your due diligence.

We've opted for CarPro and CQuartz Finest because we believe in the product, but more importantly, we believe in the people behind it and what they stand for. Roughly, 110 installers around the country, and each is hand-picked and vetted for. It's unheard of in the industry, and shows that CarPro truly wants the "right" person to use/represent the product and is selective on who can best offer the world-class customer service expected to the consumer.

Your best best bet is to find an installer that's cquartz finest certified, cross reference that with an xpel certified installer, and just drop off your X and let the shop do it's magic. Those two brands are industry-standard and those shop associated with them, are the leading shop this country has to offer. You can't go wrong with that approach.

hope this helps 

Good stuff. Appreciate the insight! Now looking for certified installers in the PA/NJ area.

hope this helps

I've heard differing opinions about which comes first. Do you CQuartz (or Opticoat Pro) the paint and then put on Xpel, or put on Xpel and then protect with the nanocoating?

I am very happy with CQuatrz Finest. No it is not a wrap. That is best, but quite expensive. 3X where I live. But after 16 months, the car is essentially flawless. And so incredibly easy to clean! I did the entire car, of course: all exterior, wheels, brake disk hats. Also had the interior done with Opti-Coat leather, etc. I am thrilled with the CQF. The interior with OC has shown no noticeable improvement at all. So I would skip that.

Total cost for full paint correction, polish, two coat application (which meant wheels off: jack that girl up!) and interior came to approx 2,500. Done by OCDetail in the Sf Bay area. They did an amazingly flawless job. And at my house. Took two days. I put them up here. They were awesome. Joe Torbati. He's my man.

Could not be happier.

I've heard differing opinions about which comes first. Do you CQuartz (or Opticoat Pro) the paint and then put on Xpel, or put on Xpel and then protect with the nanocoating?

We like to install PPF on the cleanest surface as possible making great contact with the clear coat, or substrate. Putting waxes or nano coatings prior to PPF, is an installer choice. It provides no benefits as it pertains to durability or protecting the paint since the PPF itself is the protection and sacrificial layer. We do apply the nano coating OVER the film. It adds more durability, helps keep the PPF cleaner, and makes it easier to protect a repel things like bird dropping or water spots. In some cases, nano coating will not prevent etchings, but it will make the effect, less severe.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
As far as applying PPF (xpel or suntek) over OptiCoat Pro, it will work, but is not recommended by Xpel. OptiCoat Pro Plus under the film wont work as the additional slickness will not allow the film to adhere and remain. OptiCoat Pro/Plus over film is highly recommended IMO and also Xpel has an official position about this:

Opti-Coat improves surface properties of XPELPress Release 8/17/15
We are pleased to announce that after several weeks of testing XPEL has confirmed that Opti-Coat will improve the protective properties of XPEL films and makes the surface more hydrophobic and more difficult to stain according to Alex Valencia, Senior Product Instructor at XPEL.

Why would I want to put a ceramic coating on top of the XPEL? I understand that it gives it a slickness so stuff doesn't stick to the PPF, but now your ceramic (which isn't self healing) absorbs the light scratches and swirls, right?

Seems like if you spend $$$ for a proper paint correction before the XPEL, you'd want to not coat the XPEL so any marks can self heal.