TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chademo adapter

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mrfra62, Jun 2, 2018.

1. mrfra62

mrfra62 Member

Hello everybody. Anybody experience on road trip and charging outside Netherlands? I'm planning road trip Netherlands Germany Austria Italy France Luxemburg Belgium Netherlands. Basically, with Tesla X to Italy and stay for a week. Then to area of St Tropez for a week and then back home to Netherlands. Is a chademo adapter a necessary must have? I can't always go to a supercharger and will have from time to time charge on public chargers. So would a chademo adapter be necessary? Thanks.

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Hell no!
    The supercharger network is absolutely everywhere now, and is twice the speed of chademo, and doesn't require special logins, rfid etc.

• Like x 1
  3. pers1

pers1 Member

Chademo adapter is always a nice backup to have on road trips.

PerS

4. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

I have the adapter as an insurance policy.

5. mikemillar

mikemillar Member

You would also need several cards to use the Chadamo unfortunately. The Kiwhi card is good for France (mainly Auchan supermarkets). I don't know what cards would be useful in the other countries.

6. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

The reason I got it as an insurance policy is because, out of curiosity when I was a new owner, I stopped at a regular J-1772 public spot and used the adapter that came with the car and it reported something like 1 or 2 miles of range every 10 minutes or something ridiculous like that. I figured, had this been a true emergency, that I would be in trouble. Here on east coast USA there are a fair amount of Chademo chargers in between the superchargers. Plus I had range anxiety when I made the decision to get it. I may never use it, but the one time I need it I will be glad I have it.

7. NickFie

NickFie Member

I also got ChaDeMo adapter as backup. On a recent trip, I stayed with the friend who introduced me to Tesla. We visited a nearby campground with ChaDeMo & CCS charging to test the adapter. It worked well, near SuperCharger speed. Took a minute to figure out I had to tap "Start" on the charger screen to initiate charging.

Also looked at CCS charger. Looks like J1772 adapter, with some Dremel work, could fit into its part of the CCS connector. Don't know if anyone's tried that.

8. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Same here, plus with the resale value of these things, you are not really losing much

9. mrfra62

mrfra62 Member

Thanks for all reply. Helped me a lot. I think just for back up I will get me a chademo adapter.

10. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

I do have to say since each chademo charge is $13. I find myself at the supercharger a lot more