Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody. Anybody experience on road trip and charging outside Netherlands? I'm planning road trip Netherlands Germany Austria Italy France Luxemburg Belgium Netherlands. Basically, with Tesla X to Italy and stay for a week. Then to area of St Tropez for a week and then back home to Netherlands. Is a chademo adapter a necessary must have? I can't always go to a supercharger and will have from time to time charge on public chargers. So would a chademo adapter be necessary? Thanks.

The reason I got it as an insurance policy is because, out of curiosity when I was a new owner, I stopped at a regular J-1772 public spot and used the adapter that came with the car and it reported something like 1 or 2 miles of range every 10 minutes or something ridiculous like that. I figured, had this been a true emergency, that I would be in trouble. Here on east coast USA there are a fair amount of Chademo chargers in between the superchargers. Plus I had range anxiety when I made the decision to get it. I may never use it, but the one time I need it I will be glad I have it.

I also got ChaDeMo adapter as backup. On a recent trip, I stayed with the friend who introduced me to Tesla. We visited a nearby campground with ChaDeMo & CCS charging to test the adapter. It worked well, near SuperCharger speed. Took a minute to figure out I had to tap "Start" on the charger screen to initiate charging.

Also looked at CCS charger. Looks like J1772 adapter, with some Dremel work, could fit into its part of the CCS connector. Don't know if anyone's tried that.