Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO charger in Richmond CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Moderator note: the first 7 posts in this thread were moved from the Richmond Supercharger thread.
———————————————————————————————————————————————-

If you have a CHAdeMO adapter a GREAT solution super close to the new SpC location is the old Ford Assembly Plant. They have ~20 chargers around the parking lot including a CCS and a CHAdeMO, all of it free.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 4.17.17 PM.png

The CHAdeMO fills my wife's car in minutes, but if I am there in the Tesla I use the J1772 and hit up the restaurant on the water's edge called Assembly. Would be nice if they made a Model 3 adapter for either of those formats. Very strange that they do not.

-Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
What is Craneway? Is that who pays for the charger I pointed out above at the old Ford plant?

I have NEVER seen it in use. I see all these BMW i3's there charging from the J1772's, perhaps they don't ALL come with a CCS port, though a friend of mine bought one this week and said his extended range model does have it. I was charging the wife's iMiev at the free DriveTheARC CHAdeMo in Dublin last night and there were two i3's at the J1772's next to me. Level-3's may just take so little time to charge (I was only 23 minutes and I pulled in on fumes) that people move on, leaving the high-speed chargers free when I see them.

-Randy

The ford plant is also known as the Craneway Pavillion. I usually charge there, if I use it, on the weekends. One of the drawbacks is that those chargers are only operational between 8am and 6pm. I'm usually home too late during the work week to take advantage of the free charging. Take a look at the usage charts on Chargepoint and it's usually at 100% usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190101-083544_ChargePoint.jpg
    Screenshot_20190101-083544_ChargePoint.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 44
What is Craneway? Is that who pays for the charger I pointed out above at the old Ford plant?

I have NEVER seen it in use. I see all these BMW i3's there charging from the J1772's, perhaps they don't ALL come with a CCS port, though a friend of mine bought one this week and said his extended range model does have it. I was charging the wife's iMiev at the free DriveTheARC CHAdeMo in Dublin last night and there were two i3's at the J1772's next to me. Level-3's may just take so little time to charge (I was only 23 minutes and I pulled in on fumes) that people move on, leaving the high-speed chargers free when I see them.

-Randy

A little off-topic, but I saw the interesting reference to "drivethearc" .. I hadn't heard about this program and I'm a sucker for free charging for my model 3. It appears that the Chademo and CCS ports are all that's available on the DriveTheArc units ... and we don't have any Cheademo or CCS adapters yet for the model 3. Do you know if there are any J1772's in the DrivetheARc program?

Nope, it did make me start watching threads on CCS adapters for the NA Model 3's but doesn't seem like anything anytime soon. The same reason that there isn't a CHAdeMo adapter for the 3 is why there will not be a CCS adapter for the Model 3. Different charging than the S & X, once the software for one is ready it will likely allow the other to work for the 3. The system really is fast and free. I went to the Dublin chargers yesterday (there are two, but it looks like one as the other set is across the parking lot).

Sadly my wife's iMiev has too short a range to go north on the ARC. I may take the time to try to get to Monterey now that I have figured out how to use it. Tesla is SO MUCH easier to use. I have a friend down there and as you say, addicted to FREE

-Randy

Since DriveTheARC is sponsored by Nissan and Kanematsu, so you can only get free charging on the CHAdeMO port. The app will not activate the CCS port as far as I can tell. As I have said elsewhere, the chargers with the DTA software are all 100 amp BTC units, so if there are other sites available on my trip, I will usually choose to pay $0.20/min for 125 amps at normal EVgo sites than free 100 amps unless it coincides with a meal stop. Of course, this would be with my JdeMO equipped RAV4 EV, not the Model 3.

Yeah, stopped being free in July according to Plugshare. Dang. Glad I didn't put in the winning bit on that CHAdeMO adapter on eBay this week, it went for $540, would take a long time to pay that back if my local free Level 3 is gone.