TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CHAdeMO not fully charging the battery

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Ghostrider, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider Member

Decided to try out recently purchased CHAdeMO adapter. Plugged in, gave EVgo a call and charging started. 400V 100A. However when the car was around 92% (~10 minutes later) I received charging stopped notification. Gave them another call to restart charging and again it stopped right away.

Charge limit was set to 100%

Anyone else experienced something similar? Is it more likely to be car, adapter or charger issue?

2. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

I used my adapter on the DC Fast charge on Thursday. I was at 100% at the end of the charge.

3. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Those last few miles cause the battery to slow from the 100 amps to a mere trickle. It is possible the charger was set to stop at less than 10 amps. Even the Super Chargers slow significantly when you reach over 90%. When traveling, I have found it is a waste of time to try to get the battery to 100% if you have enough charge to reach your next charger or destination. With the new "round trip" alert in 8.0, 100% may be a requirement in some cases to get back to the charge location. Don't think like an ICE by topping off the tank to the nozzle, you only need charge to get on your way to the next stop, even if that is only 50 or 60% of the range. Makes for mush faster long distance travel.

4. davewill

davewill Member

Some CHAdeMO chargers allow you to select a charge percentage on screen. It's possible that that particular one is set to a lower percentage (even if there's no on screen selection). It's also possible that it isn't fully compatible with the Tesla adapter. I'd report your experience to both EVgo and Tesla to see what they might say.

5. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

How long ago did you get your adapter? There was a firmwear update that they had to do to mine before I picked it up in August. Perhaps there is an update that needs to be made?

6. Ghostrider

Ghostrider Member

Picked it up in the beginning of October.

Did they have to do an update to the adapter itself or to the car?

7. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

My adapter required the firmware update.

8. cclemon8

cclemon8 New Member

Did you guys just go to the SC and ask them to update the adapter's firmware? I had similar issue with an EVPump charger today. Charging stopped at 70%

9. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

Call Tesla to find out if it is required, mine was updated during the purchase process.