Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo or no Chademo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It very much depends where you are (and where you go to). As it happens, the last time I used mine was in Weston Super Mare!

If you live on a node of the motorway network with superchargers in every direction, that removes the need for it for "get to destination" purposes.

If you are happy to book accommodation based on the availability of destination charging, that removes the need for it to top up for local driving at a destination.

I still use mine quite often, but admittedly more often nowadays for convenience than out of necessity. For example, in that recent WSM trip, I could obviously have stopped at Gordano on the M5 and supercharged there, but viewing the seafront at WSM was a more enjoyable way of passing the time.

I agree - it very much depends where you live and where you drive. On my French trip, I chose to stay along a route through superchargers (some Novotel and Mercure hotels have SCs on site) and I found a destination charger at a supermarket in the south of Toulouse - it required a bit of planning/forethought.

I know what you mean about passing the time at WSM seafront as opposed to the Gordano SC. It has to be said, many of the superchargers I have used have been a bit bleak, especially "out of hours".

The Chademo adaptor is essential if you live in the provinces really - lots of cross-country journeys become very awkward (or dependent on destination charging being available and working) without it.

If the cost rankles, buy on ebay, and remember that when you're done with it you can sell it on again - likely for all of what you paid for it.

One caution - Chademo charging is not the most reliable process; many of the chademo chargers have "challenging" user interfaces (including phone apps) and the chademo adaptor itself has firmware on it which must be upgraded by Tesla for full compatibility with all chargers as charger hardware and firmware develops.

This means that you must try the chademo adaptor out, several times, to gain confidence and experience before you can rely on it. Without this experience, a frustrating and stressful experience is likely the first time the adaptor is wanted "in anger".

This means that you must try the chademo adaptor out, several times, to gain confidence and experience before you can rely on it. Without this experience, a frustrating and stressful experience is likely the first time the adaptor is wanted "in anger".

Or the Zen approach - assume that all public charging is unlikely to work, and feel the glow of happiness if the first option you go for actually works.

I apply a similar attitude to flying with Ryanair.

As 'promised' photos of of charging on Type 2 AC (At 18kW) and Chademo. Same charger (Polar Plus) just different plugs.

IMG_2424.PNG IMG_2425.PNG

Reactions: arg
Thanks for posting that. Evidently they've relaxed or removed the overall power limit, so it's still limited to 24A but your local chargepoint has rather high voltage (249V) giving more power (17.9kW, which the app has rounded to 18). My car (with the old dual-charger setup) would do 32A and so get 23.9kW at that unit.

Or the Zen approach - assume that all public charging is unlikely to work, and feel the glow of happiness if the first option you go for actually works.

I apply a similar attitude to flying with Ryanair.

I get what you mean, and it's not wrong, but the "public charging is shite" thing is not really my point.

My point is that there's a lot to get right - physical connection of chademo adaptor to chademo point can be tricky, the mobile apps are generally flakey and often require payment details or login credentials entered, some of the chademo units (take a bow, Instavolt, for making a simple design confusing through total lack of testing) have confusing user interfaces.

For advanced chademo'ists, there's more stuff to learn like emergency stop resets (and even locating and cycling the unit's breaker...), supporting the plug while charging starts if some of the pins aren't making good contact, the usefulness of CYC vs Polar cards and apps, the great advantage of registering a card for Geniepoint before you need one, the practice of connecting to EH wifi to force freevend, etc.

All of those things are easy to resolve on their own, but not under "I need this charge to avoid running out" stress when several occur at once and none of them are familiar.

You must practice before you NEED it.

Reactions: Terry_B58 and arg