Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to admit Tesla is being pretty imaginative about it. How that cloth became a "premium textile" from "our flagship" instead of a downgrade from Alcantara is the reason they are fetching the big market bucks, and I'm just writing on TMC. It didn't occur to me.

“As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production.”

I'm finding the theory that Alcantara reduced U.S. distributors dramatically and Tesla angered them with Model 3 order reductions plausible.

What I wonder is, how is the Model S/X supply looking like for Alcantara (or similar)?

Yes...

"Alcantara is no longer available. Right now we are producing our vehicles with the premium textile headliner! All of our S, X, and 3s from now on will have this textile headliner! Apologies for the confusion earlier!"

Didn't some Tesla rep say their headliner vendor "stopped talking to them"?

Didn't some Tesla rep say their Alcantara headliner vendor "stopped talking to them"?

At least one person at Service Center, according to @CuriousG. But no official word what happened.

Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles. So this is the material they are putting in the car now.

I have confirmed through another person there that I do have the Alcantara and when I pressed him to show me a 3 with the new interior, he walked me up to the car that was Supercharging and showed me through the window. When I peered through the rear window you can clearly see some type of weave pattern in the material. Was hoping I was able to take a picture from inside the car but didn't find a 3 with an owner nearby. I guess Tesla has strict policy against letting other people in other people's car.

This car had VIN 3xxx. I guess now I should feel lucky that I got a lower VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
EVERYONE should go on their myTesla page and submit their alcantara grievances to the high management as a concern under that concerns section. This is what everyone did with that uncorking of 75D 0-60 cap issue, and Tesla listened and fixed it. I said this, feel free to copy and paste/modify as needed:

"I have a Model 3 reservation which is available for configuration. However there's a ton of talking by everyone on the forums and news articles that Tesla has randomly switched the headliner of Model 3 cars from alcantara to textile. I don't want to place an order because of this mistake and be stuck with textile headliner, since all areas were advertised with alcantara. There are many many people on the TMC and Tesla forums disappointed with this perceived bait-and switch change, I am hoping that there can be some clarification of materials before I go forward or not with an order. Thanks!"
Well count me as one NOT upset about this. My first reservation does have alcantara. However, my second reservation (waiting on dual motors) will have the premium package and probably a cloth headliner. I'm good with that.

It's not 'everyone' and I really wish you'd just speak for yourself. Outside of one forum member who has an allergy to polyester & was going to cancel his signature Model S reservation as a result, I've never heard of someone basing a car purchase on headliner material.

But I guess now I have.

I would prefer black headliner as well, but I know some people don't like it. Would be nice if it was at least an option.
I want black headliner of whatever material. When I take delivery, I will have my preferred upholstery shop switch out the PUP 'headliner', visors (and get rid of those obnoxious yellow safety stickers) and pillars for the black material of my choice. This will cost <1cd (1cd car dollar = US$1K). If I can afford ~50cd for my dream car, I can afford 1cd for my dream headliner. Life is too short, in my case, to worry about it.

Last edited:
So what exactly is base on a $35k car in your opinion? Paper wrappers? Maybe a burlap sack?

This textile looks to be pretty average and I'm sure nobody has a problem with it in the regular interior. The problem is Tesla's behavior: downgrading the premium interior after setting expectations and then being dishonest about it.
I have the same headliner on my 50K Infiniti, while suede is nicer I will take the current headliner. The base non-PUP might be plastic shell with some airbrush on it

So what exactly is base on a $35k car in your opinion? Paper wrappers? Maybe a burlap sack?

This textile looks to be pretty average and I'm sure nobody has a problem with it in the regular interior. The problem is Tesla's behavior: downgrading the premium interior after setting expectations and then being dishonest about it.

Base Model 3 Specification With Cloth Headliner and Non Vegan Upholstery - Heads-up Display - Not Available

I hear it still rides a bit harsh

flintstones-mobile-germany-2.jpg

Last edited:
Well count me as one NOT upset about this. My first reservation does have alcantara. However, my second reservation (waiting on dual motors) will have the premium package and probably a cloth headliner. I'm good with that.

It's not 'everyone' and I really wish you'd just speak for yourself. Outside of one forum member who has an allergy to polyester & was going to cancel his signature Model S reservation as a result, I've never heard of someone basing a car purchase on headliner material.

But I guess now I have.

He didn't speak for everyone; he wrote "should", as a suggestion. Speaking for someone is different than suggesting something to someone.

I really wish you'd just understand posts before accusing someone of doing something else entirely. :p

From my angle, it's a red herring to discuss the car purchase hinging on the headliner. This is more likely about purchasing the PUP upgrade down the line.

Otherwise, sure. People draw different lines on which "bait-and-switches" are worth caring about and which are "I never cared about it to begin with, so go ahead, Tesla." People have different standards for different parts of a car.

The problem is that Person A (like me) paid $50k and got Alcantara while Person B paid $50k and got textile.

This is unexpected from Tesla...especially how Elon once proclaimed that at Tesla, everyone pays the same price for each car.

I don’t personally care about the headliner material but I totally understand for the people who find this unfair

The problem is that Person A (like me) paid $50k and got Alcantara while Person B paid $50k and got textile.

This is unexpected from Tesla...especially how Elon once proclaimed that at Tesla, everyone pays the same price for each car.

I don’t personally care about the headliner material but I totally understand for the people who find this unfair

Hey, everyone still IS paying the same price for each car! They just aren't getting the same car. ;)

And some people got uncorked, which was a bonus, and others didn't.

There are two ways to look at this & I suspect it has to do with how people view the world. I'm an incurable optimist & typically look at things assuming good intent.

Note, my 2nd reservation will also be PUP, but will likely have the woven headliner - totally fine with that.

I get that some find it unfair & Tesla could have better managed expectations on this by making it clear that the headliner would be a woven material, since they knew they were delivering some with alcantara. But let's be honest - people would still be upset over that (though def less).

Status
Not open for further replies.