Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla has been installing the Alcantara even in base S and X cars for years.

There was a period in 2013 where even the top of the line cars with all the interior upgrades didn’t come with alcantara headliner. My 2013 P85 was one of those. So this is not an unprecedented thing for Tesla to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if it shows back up again at some later date once they sort out the supply issue. Those in the middle period just get what they get if they buy the car.

I will say the new fabric does look nicer than the fabric on my old S.

I've been a huge proponent of Tesla since the Roadster 1.0 days and an IPO shareholder. And I've been fighting and defending them among the doubters in my circle of family and friends for over a decade. But there comes a point where I can only defend so much. Tesla's excuse for getting rid of the alcantara-like/ultra-suede material is a ridiculous lie that really stabs the heart of the tens of thousands of followers that have been defending and promoting Tesla.
Of all the controversial things that has happened through the years with Tesla, you draw the line at Headliner-Gate?

Of all the controversial things that has happened through the years with Tesla, you draw the line at Headliner-Gate?
There always has to be a straw that breaks the camels back. I understand Tesla as they are today will never be a big auto manufacturer and that’s okay, but it seems they are sometimes their own worst enemy with obvious attempts of deception and misleading customers. They enjoy being in a protective niche market now but that isn’t going to be the case when other big companies swallow up that market. They should not take an adversarial position with customers. It is humorous when first time buyers or diehard Tesla fans act like you should be thankful for being able to buy one of their products.

Tesla is trying to differentiate between the Model S and Model 3 ..... Why would Tesla put high quality material in a $100,000 car and also put it in their $35,000 car ....... everyone always says that they need to make changes to differentiate between the Model S and the Model 3 .. and now when they do .. everyone is complaining?? ....

This isn't the only thing that is going to be changed in the next couple of months .... there will be more changes to make sure the Model S is known as their flagship vehicle so who ever got the first batch of Model 3s got lucky ... and i bet you Tesla put Alcantra originally because they knew the first batch of Model 3 will all be reviewed and wanted to make them look as good as possible

if Alcantra is that important to you, buy a Model S ... Tesla isn't that dumb that they are going to give you all the features of a $100,000 car for $35,000

I say everyone who has reserved and not taken delivery, should band together and boycott the Model 3.

I would join the boycott, but nobody told me about it. But everybody else should do so immediately!

Thanks in Advance!

• Funny
Reactions: Lem89
Tesla is trying to differentiate between the Model S and Model 3 ..... Why would Tesla put high quality material in a $100,000 car and also put it in their $35,000 car ....... everyone always says that they need to make changes to differentiate between the Model S and the Model 3 .. and now when they do .. everyone is complaining?? ....

This isn't the only thing that is going to be changed in the next couple of months .... there will be more changes to make sure the Model S is known as their flagship vehicle so who ever got the first batch of Model 3s got lucky ... and i bet you Tesla put Alcantra originally because they knew the first batch of Model 3 will all be reviewed and wanted to make them look as good as possible

if Alcantra is that important to you, buy a Model S ... Tesla isn't that dumb that they are going to give you all the features of a $100,000 car for $35,000
There isn’t anyone getting a model 3 for $35,000 as those are not available. There is no comparison between a 3 and an S so they didn’t need to cut features from the production 3’s shown to the public. The one we have coming is over $60,000 out the door and it doesn’t even have a dash display. Anyone who thinks they are in the same class with the S is fooling themselves or haven’t driven one. They sold cars based on those cars shown. We have a S and an X and like those cars but when the premium 3 is close to the price of a base S after discounts you shouldn’t cheapen the quality below what they displayed.

Reactions: kablammyman

They’ve discontinued it from the S as well. This has nothing to do with the 3 particularly, it’s an across the board change.

There isn’t anyone getting a model 3 for $35,000 as they are not available. There is no comparison between a 3 and an S so they didn’t need to cut features from the ones shown to the public. The one we have coming is over $60,000 out the door and it doesn’t even have a dash display. Anyone who thinks they are in the same class is fooling themselves. They sold cars based on those cars shown. We have a S and an X and like those cars but when the premium 3 is close to the price of a base S after discounts you shouldn’t cheapen the quality below what they displayed.

The base S or X does not come with Alcantra or leather seats. To have those features in the S or X you have to purchase premium seats which brings the price up ...

So lets say it brings the price up to $80,000 - $85,000 .. the Model 3 is still $20,000 cheaper ... so if I was to get Alcantra, Leather, Autopilot, heated seats, sunroof, and everything else I can get in model 3 for $60,000 ... why am i paying $85,000 for a model S?? For the dash? doesn't make any sense ... again .. Tesla is just trying to differentiate between the two and this is the first step with more things to come

There isn’t anyone getting a model 3 for $35,000 as those are not available. There is no comparison between a 3 and an S so they didn’t need to cut features from the production 3’s shown to the public. The one we have coming is over $60,000 out the door and it doesn’t even have a dash display. Anyone who thinks they are in the same class is fooling themselves. They sold cars based on those cars shown. We have a S and an X and like those cars but when the premium 3 is close to the price of a base S after discounts you shouldn’t cheapen the quality below what they displayed.

The Model 3 LR at $50,000 should be compared to the Model S 100 as the range and performance are similar.

Personally, I don't want to be forced into PUP, I'd rather be forced into AP2. It would be more profitable for Tesla, and more useful for me. I don't even use power seats unless someone borrows my cars, and more glass is not more betta.

The base S or X does not come with Alcantra or leather seats. To have those features in the S or X you have to purchase premium seats which brings the price up ...

So lets say it brings the price up to $80,000 - $85,000 .. the Model 3 is still $20,000 cheaper ... so if I was to get Alcantra, Leather, Autopilot, heated seats, sunroof, and everything else I can get in model 3 for $60,000 ... why am i paying $85,000 for a model S?? For the dash? doesn't make any sense ... again .. Tesla is just trying to differentiate between the two and this is the first step with more things to come
The S should cost more than $20k more for similar equipment as it is so much more car. I’m not trying to be nasty but most customers would gladly take the S over a 3 if they had the money, it is so much more car, it’s more than just a dash, it’s like a 3 series vs a 7 series.

No, I'll still continue to be a big proponent, but at some point it gets tiring. I mean, what's next from them? LED headlights replaced with Halogen ones...an improvement for sure since Halogen headlights won't blind oncoming cars, who can be potential Tesla future customers? Or rubber interior floor instead of carpeting, so that way your interior will last longer and won't be difficult to clean....again it can be construed as an "improved customer experience."

--Cintoman

Yes, same with
OK so people made the assumption that what they saw in earlier cars was what they'd...

People did not make assumptions. They were told by Tesla through its words and actions what to expect: Alcantara.

All pictures of the Model 3 released by Tesla were exclusively with Alcantara.
All demo cars produced by Tesla and made available to the media were exclusively with Alcantara.
The first 1500-2000 vehicles delivered were exclusively with Alcantara.
There is only a single configuration of the car available from Tesla (ie with PUP).

Any customer who has actually placed their order for a Model 3 has been misled by Tesla and not because of assumptions but because of cold hard facts.

Reservation holders have not been misled if Tesla makes proper updates to their marketing materials and demo cars prior to orders being taken. As of yet, Tesla has not done this.

I'm just excited the Model 3LR has been reported to have better performance than advertised.
That's worth more to me than an appearance feature.

Whatever it takes to increase production and keep quality issues reduced is cool by me.

I cannot tell you when I'm sitting here what headliners my cars and trucks have, only the motorcycles.

But... I do wish I could opt for AP2 instead of PUP. This would save Tesla money (reduce costs at the same MSRP), and I don't have a need for power seats. I want my Model 3LR as light as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.