Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'll still continue to be a big proponent, but at some point it gets tiring. I mean, what's next from them? LED headlights replaced with Halogen ones...an improvement for sure since Halogen headlights won't blind oncoming cars, who can be potential Tesla future customers? Or rubber interior floor instead of carpeting, so that way your interior will last longer and won't be difficult to clean....again it can be construed as an "improved customer experience."

--Cintoman
The LED headlights can be adjusted through the screen. So if you are blinding people, you're just an LEDhole.

Now let's all gather at the local Wal-Mart and get your Tiki torches and protest at Tesla because the floor mats aren't secured with Velcro anymore <gasp>. Yes that's right, the nerve of them. I only found out when I went to vacuum it and found it stuck to the commercial vacuum.

Now let's all gather at the local Wal-Mart and get your Tiki torches and protest at Tesla because the floor mats aren't secured with Velcro anymore <gasp>. Yes that's right, the nerve of them. I only found out when I went to vacuum it and found it stuck to the commercial vacuum.

I don't mind running changes if the change that's made is equal to or better that the current item. However, a lot of posts seem to imply that this change from the alcantara-like material to the textile material is a significant downgrade. That's what I have an issue with. Would you put up with a change in the glass roof tinting that doesn't block as much UV/light and now makes the interior hotter under the sun? Or a change to the 15" touchscreen that reduces the screen resolution? Or going from soft touch materials on the doors/dash to hard plastic?

--Cintoman

Just as an FYI, that material is nothing like actual Alcantara. Real Alcantara does not have a foam backing and the actual fabric is much thicker. I have purchased it by the yard before and there are not many upholstery stores that have access to the real material. The last time I bought some it was $105 a yard for the "Panel grade" material.
I want whatever Tesla was providing earlier...no matter how thick it was or wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmarty and Cintoman
The base S or X does not come with Alcantra or leather seats. To have those features in the S or X you have to purchase premium seats which brings the price up ...

So lets say it brings the price up to $80,000 - $85,000 .. the Model 3 is still $20,000 cheaper ... so if I was to get Alcantra, Leather, Autopilot, heated seats, sunroof, and everything else I can get in model 3 for $60,000 ... why am i paying $85,000 for a model S?? For the dash? doesn't make any sense ... again .. Tesla is just trying to differentiate between the two and this is the first step with more things to come

Tesla has no leather seats in any new car at any trim level.

But will they refuse delivery??? :):):)

We already know of one person who refused delivery and we have another here who has said that he will take delivery but Tesla has made him an as-yet-undisclosed concession.

There were a lot of ways Tesla could have handled this, whether the issue was cost of the other material, design/taste decision, or losing a supplier.

They could have found an actual slightly upgraded material over base and said that is the new material. there are various grades of fabric used in automobiles and it is not hard, whatsoever, to differentiate them... if pressed the manufacturer can demonstrate that the upgraded material carries a higher price tag.

BMW for example offers an anthracite headliner that has a waffle pattern and looks different than their standard headliner. It is offered as a cost line item on some cars and is standard on certain upgraded trim levels with higher price tags... while the cost per yard is probably only a bit more than their standard headliner it is still an 'upgrade'... it sits between their base stuff and the fancy stuff they put in the really high end rides, which is often Alcantara.

I'll gladly take the car no matter what the headliner is made out of. I think I would like the faux suede a little more, simply because it's different, but I don't think I'll be bothered by the cloth. Sorry, "premium textile".

But it certainly does leave a bad taste in my mouth that they would send out all the review cars with a nicer material, and then switch once the media / web is saturated with reviews of that interior (most of which explicitly mention how luxurious and nice the interior feels due to the choice of materials). To make matters worse, they made this change completely under the radar.

Waking up today and seeing the offical Tesla PR and the responses people have been getting via e-mail.... it's pretty unbelievable at this point. From Tesla's spin that this was an intended switch (which basically confirms a bait-and-switch, if we believe that explanation [we shouldn't]), to the e-mails arrogantly stating "we never said Alacantra".

What a disgrace.

Audi/Volkswagen does announce all changes you can see, though. There are two weeks in a year of production when these normally happen and they circulate a fairly detailed list.

For example week 22 (model-year change week, but not a facelift time) back in 2006 changed the material in the Audi A6 dash's surroundings as well as interior lights. It was generally considered a desired change and it was towards the better, but just as an example.
Not all these changes are beneficial. The word "decontenting" was coined for a reason.

This seems like a case where lack of model years really stings.

Status
Not open for further replies.