Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys were doing so good yesterday with only 6 posts on this topic. Now we are back to 9 posts in the last hour. Lets all just go back to the HUD topic as at least that was something you can't add/change after you get the car and a headliner is.

• Funny
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Tesla buyers are very forgiving when Tesla gives them the choice of taking it how it is or someone else will. I just think that a manufacturer should hold itself to a little higher standard and not use the “surprise we were planning this all along and it slipped our mind" excuseo_O

Tesla buyers are very forgiving when Tesla gives them the choice of taking it how it is or someone else will. I just think that a manufacturer should hold itself to a little higher standard and not use the “surprise we were planning this all along and it slipped our mind" excuseo_O
It's very obvious that was PR BS thrown out to save face not being able to acquire enough supply of suede.

Just down at the Tesla service center in San Diego and there were several Model 3's parked. One with Alcantara (early vin) and one without (waiting delivery). Took some pictures through the window. The cloth had a distinct pucker/looseness around the ceiling light and fit/finish looked like it was in need of adjustment while the Alcantara looked smooth and fit well. I do not care about the texture difference but the cloth did not conform to the contours nearly as well as the Alcanatara. I have uploaded pictures of the difference. I do not know if this is representative of all cloth headliners or just this one. But the fit/finish difference between the two was noticeable and the fit/finish of the cloth was disappointing.
Alcantara:
M3-Alcantara.JPG

Cloth (below):
M3-Fabric.JPG

Sorry if this thread won't die. I, for one, am still irritated.

I know this topic discussion annoys some people. There are people who don't care about the headliner material and I get that. It annoys them that there is "so much to do about nothing" on this thread and topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This topic is important to me because Tesla changed something that I happen to care a lot about. There are people that are so bothered by this material switch that they cancelled their orders. I don't think I will be willing to cancel my order, but you better believe that it does bother me. My situation has me really needing to replace my current vehicle sooner vs later and waiting for white interior, or AWD, or yet another premium to the premium that adds the ultra-suede material back in is not an option for me. There's also the issue of the $7,500 federal tax credit that I'm not willing to give up as I wait for Tesla to right this wrong. Now, since I'm personally not willing to cancel my order, but bothered by the material substitution, I'm naturally mad at Tesla. That's mostly their fault by giving me only 2 choices in dealing with their decision: A) suck it up and take the car as is, or B) cancel. Regardless of whether Tesla has the "right" to do this because they used the ambiguous term "premium" material or not isn't the point here. The point is they have anywhere from 25% to 30% of their reservationists upset by this. Seems like they ought to be concerned about those people. Until all the marketing material quits showing Alcantara and a significant number of new reviewers start to mention the new textile material, it's still dishonest marketing IMO, and all reservationists up until these things change should be dealt with respectfully. /rant

Just down at the Tesla service center in San Diego and there were several Model 3's parked. One with Alcantara (early vin) and one without (waiting delivery). Took some pictures through the window. The cloth had a distinct pucker/looseness around the ceiling light and fit/finish looked like it was in need of adjustment while the Alcantara looked smooth and fit well. I do not care about the texture difference but the cloth did not conform to the contours nearly as well as the Alcanatara. I have uploaded pictures of the difference. I do not know if this is representative of all cloth headliners or just this one. But the fit/finish difference between the two was noticeable and the fit/finish of the cloth was disappointing.
Alcantara:View attachment 274400

Cloth (below):
View attachment 274401
Wow. That's the first picture of the new material that is more than just less preferred. That photo with the "pucker" is hideous! I honestly would not accept that without having Tesla agree to fix it. Preferably with Alcantara ;)

What's that heck is that extra line in the back edge?
Tesla headliner fold.PNG

Wow after looking at pictures of the nice alcantara and the shabby new premium cloth it’s hard to believe anyone could honestly say it is anything but a downgrade in quality. The alcantara even without the premium feel and easily argued better fit sure looks nice with its smooth textured appearance
Yeah I'm really hoping they can find a way to bring it back. Or they should, at the very least, keep it in S & X.

Alcantara:View attachment 274400

Cloth (below):
View attachment 274401
Thanks! I actually like the texture of the textile more based on your pictures, but I hope the fit issue is just a one-off and/or something they'll correct.

Did you see any other parts of the car where the textile didn't fit as well?

Wow after looking at pictures of the nice alcantara and the shabby new premium cloth it’s hard to believe anyone could honestly say it is anything but a downgrade in quality. The alcantara even without the premium feel and easily argued better fit sure looks nice with its smooth textured appearance
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of every which way/"brindled" look of the Alcantara compared to other headliners, except for maybe the cheapish felt stuff, since that can also look messy. Potential fit issues are a concern though, unless what's in the pictures is just an isolated incident.

I guess I'll have to find an Alcantara groomer if I ever get one in my car. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of every which way/"brindled" look of the Alcantara compared to other headliners, except for maybe the cheapish felt stuff, since that can also look messy. Potential fit issues are a concern though, unless what's in the pictures is just an isolated incident.

I guess I'll have to find an Alcantara groomer if I ever get one in my car. :D
Years ago I had a car with real suede seats with contrasting inserts. It came from the factory with a suede brush and after a quick brushing the suede would look factory fresh where before it looked like it was worn smooth. Sweat, dirt and oils after extended periods can make suede look worn smooth but brush right clean back to a new appearance.

I'm not sure if it's them spinning the supplier issue of if they just got cheaper, but read this great Electrek article and Tesla's statement.
Tesla updates Model 3 interior with new headliner material
“As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production.”

One trick of spokesperson spinmeister wordsmithing is to only give out a partial statement and let the reader jump to the wrong (but preferred) conclusion.

Perhaps "which has always been planned at this stage of production" was a fragment of "which has always been planned at this stage of production for the new base model."

Just got a chance to sit in one of the model 3s in the showroom. The headliner is CHEAP. The lady called it "re-engineered textile". I called it the exact same material in my chevy. The rest of the interior is awesome, which makes the really cheap headliner stand out. That and the vanity mirror cover was obviously designed for the alcatara.
Sad to hear. Is Tesla still radio silent on this? Any indication that they acknowledge the poor decision and might fix it?

Not quite. But, turning people off due to what many consider "bait and switch" will impact their ability to accomplish their real mission.
This misuse of 'bait & switch' is grinding on my last nerve.

Even if your reservation had been made with Tesla showing you different materials, that would not be 'bait & switch'. Bait and switch is when they show you something else to get the sale & then switch it up on you. 'Bait and switch' implies a deliberate action intended to hoodwink customers in order to get a sale (not a reservation for a spot in line, but a sale) -- and really, if Tesla wanted to do that, would it be a headliner? (Answer is 'no'.)

Since when reservations were made 1) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made BEFORE the reveal, and, 2) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made online AFTER the reveal, and, 3) all reservations are refundable, really the ONLY people who could say 'bait and switch' are the ones who placed their order when alcantara was being shown & something else gets delivered.

And as I've said before, I'm sure the people in that category that are upset over the change can talk to Tesla directly and find a mutually acceptable resolution. But if you're not in that category, there is no bait & switch, no matter how you twist it.

This misuse of 'bait & switch' is grinding on my last nerve.

Even if your reservation had been made with Tesla showing you different materials, that would not be 'bait & switch'. Bait and switch is when they show you something else to get the sale & then switch it up on you. 'Bait and switch' implies a deliberate action intended to hoodwink customers in order to get a sale (not a reservation for a spot in line, but a sale) -- and really, if Tesla wanted to do that, would it be a headliner? (Answer is 'no'.)

Since when reservations were made 1) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made BEFORE the reveal, and, 2) none of us knew the interior material if reservation was made online AFTER the reveal, and, 3) all reservations are refundable, really the ONLY people who could say 'bait and switch' are the ones who placed their order when alcantara was being shown & something else gets delivered.

And as I've said before, I'm sure the people in that category that are upset over the change can talk to Tesla directly and find a mutually acceptable resolution. But if you're not in that category, there is no bait & switch, no matter how you twist it.

More impotantly, the textile feels out of place. It is the cheapest part of the interior. Even if I had not read this thread, it would have stood out. From the top of the doors down its an amazing car, from the top of the doors up its a base model chevy. Completely incongruent.

Reactions: zmarty
More impotantly, the textile feels out of place. It is the cheapest part of the interior. Even if I had not read this thread, it would have stood out. From the top of the doors down its an amazing car, from the top of the doors up its a base model chevy. Completely incongruent.
My only point was that this situation is not 'bait and switch'. Everyone has a right to their opinion on this - some don't care, some like the textile better, and some (like you) don't like it.

Are you going thru with your reservation or are you canceling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.