Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in Road Trip frequency with Model S

How will your yearly road tripping frequency change with the Model S?

• Will take the same number of road trips as previously done with ICE

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Will take more road trips once I have access (or now that I have access) to Superchargers

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Will take more road trips even without access to Superchargers

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Will Not take Model S on road trips, will continue to use ICE

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Never take road trips (prefer to fly, don't drive that far from home, etc)

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
I am trying to gather information on how Model S owners road tripping frequency will change now that you have your or once you have your Model S. While I know this is unscientific I plan on using this information to support the case I am making to hotels that they need to install charging access for Model S owners. Please take a moment to answer this Poll. Also feel free to add any other comments on how your road tripping behavior has changed or will chance with your Model S. Note: for the purposes of this Poll, road trips are any trips were you must stay overnight away from home for 1 or more nights.

Thanks,
Liz G

Last edited:
Hi Liz, we just did a 467-mile road trip from NY to Hershey, PA (Hershey Park) then Langhorne PA (Sesame Place) and back home to NY. With an EV one has to know the vehicle's range limits, where charging stations are located, length of time required to charge, what one can do while charging and how many miles a charging detour accounts for.

I have a 60 kWh, did a range charge to 212. Original plan was to stop at King of Prussia, charge and get to Hershey. Instead, I kept the speedometer between 50 and 60 mph and was able to squeeze out 221 miles with 7 remaining - could have probably gotten another 10 or more. Charged using the campground's 14-50 receptacle. Next night we stayed at an area hotel, which did not offer charging. Left Hershey with 200-miles. Arrived at the Tesla King of Prussia store with 123, after about 2.5 hours charging there we left having 186. Arrived at Sesame Place with 157 and later home with 47 remaining. Virtually no hotels in that area offer charging. Did lots of research and calls prior to the trip. One hotel has a 5-20 outlet, which is rather slow. Installing 30-amp chargers or even just outdoor 30/40 amp receptacles would be nice.

Hershey.jpg

Last edited:
We derive so much pleasure driving electrically, smmmmoooothhh, quiet, efficient, controlled, that we find we drive a lot more than before. My last EV had 60K miles in 6 years. We have 22,000 miles on our S in 10 months, nearly all without superchargers. Mostly visiting family and friends and using their circuit breaker box adapted to the proper 50 amp breaker wired to a 14-50, or plugging into a welder outlet or 14-50 at their houses. Since I have solar on my home roof, our power is virtually free now, and Elon is making power free. Why drive anything else? I figure I have saved over $4000 so far this year. The Prius has been orphaned and sits in the garage all the time looking grumpy.