TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Change in Road Trip frequency with Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Liz G, Jul 6, 2013.

?

How will your yearly road tripping frequency change with the Model S?

1. Will take the same number of road trips as previously done with ICE

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Will take more road trips once I have access (or now that I have access) to Superchargers

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Will take more road trips even without access to Superchargers

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Will Not take Model S on road trips, will continue to use ICE

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Never take road trips (prefer to fly, don't drive that far from home, etc)

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Liz G

Liz G P03056

#1 Liz G, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    All,
    I am trying to gather information on how Model S owners road tripping frequency will change now that you have your or once you have your Model S. While I know this is unscientific I plan on using this information to support the case I am making to hotels that they need to install charging access for Model S owners. Please take a moment to answer this Poll. Also feel free to add any other comments on how your road tripping behavior has changed or will chance with your Model S. Note: for the purposes of this Poll, road trips are any trips were you must stay overnight away from home for 1 or more nights.

Thanks,
    Liz G

2. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Don't know how you'd fit it in the poll. My exact response would be: I will take more road trips (of the kind you describe) when the hotel I choose to stay at has convenient charging.

3. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Looks like I can't change the poll but I will definitely note your response in my results. Thanks.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I take road trips because I need to get places. The number of trips I take is not correlated with the type of vehicle I am driving.

5. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Same road trips as last year. Only diff is just some plug planning for the same destinations.

6. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

I believe I will definitely take more trips, ESPECIALLY if the hotel has a charger. My previous/current vehicle gets 11 mpg. If I can get a room for what I would pay in gas, it makes more trips even more appealing and probable.

7. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

#7 Iz, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    Hi Liz, we just did a 467-mile road trip from NY to Hershey, PA (Hershey Park) then Langhorne PA (Sesame Place) and back home to NY. With an EV one has to know the vehicle's range limits, where charging stations are located, length of time required to charge, what one can do while charging and how many miles a charging detour accounts for.

I have a 60 kWh, did a range charge to 212. Original plan was to stop at King of Prussia, charge and get to Hershey. Instead, I kept the speedometer between 50 and 60 mph and was able to squeeze out 221 miles with 7 remaining - could have probably gotten another 10 or more. Charged using the campground's 14-50 receptacle. Next night we stayed at an area hotel, which did not offer charging. Left Hershey with 200-miles. Arrived at the Tesla King of Prussia store with 123, after about 2.5 hours charging there we left having 186. Arrived at Sesame Place with 157 and later home with 47 remaining. Virtually no hotels in that area offer charging. Did lots of research and calls prior to the trip. One hotel has a 5-20 outlet, which is rather slow. Installing 30-amp chargers or even just outdoor 30/40 amp receptacles would be nice.

Hershey.jpg

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

We derive so much pleasure driving electrically, smmmmoooothhh, quiet, efficient, controlled, that we find we drive a lot more than before. My last EV had 60K miles in 6 years. We have 22,000 miles on our S in 10 months, nearly all without superchargers. Mostly visiting family and friends and using their circuit breaker box adapted to the proper 50 amp breaker wired to a 14-50, or plugging into a welder outlet or 14-50 at their houses. Since I have solar on my home roof, our power is virtually free now, and Elon is making power free. Why drive anything else? I figure I have saved over $4000 so far this year. The Prius has been orphaned and sits in the garage all the time looking grumpy.

9. metafor

metafor Member

Where's the "I will take fewer roadtrips" option?

10. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Since my road trips currently involve long distances between stops with no charging infrastructure, I'm afraid I will still need to use our ICE vehicle for them.

However, as soon as I can use Model S, I will use it.