Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in used Tesla warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
Looking at the website, it looks like the used Tesla warranty is now only 1 year, 10,000 miles beyond existing warranty. The old CPO program keeps getting worse and worse. When I bought my CPO S back in 2017, car was refurbished and came with 4 year/50,000 miles. That additional warranty came in really handy to me and the next owner (on board charger, 2 drive units, new sun roof). Clearly, warranty costs are being squeezed.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Genesis, Hyundai, Kia, VW and Jag all smoke Tesla in this regard. Even Mitsubishi has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, not limited to Drive Unit and Battery like in the Tesla. Even their battery warranty is better - LIFETIME.

Who Has the Best Car Warranty?

Genesis and Hyundai:
The five-year or 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is one of the longest available today. The even longer 10-year or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty is nearly twice as long as what many other automakers offer to cover the engine and drivetrain. The thing that really puts Hyundai’s warranty over the top, however, is the inclusion of unlimited-mile corrosion warranty and roadside assistance. With these, the only limitation is the age: seven and five years, respectively.
8d1d5a8c8d301f9afe775b126c5920c3x.jpg

Last edited:
Genesis, Hyundai, Kia, VW and Jag all smoke Tesla in this regard. Even Mitsubishi has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, not limited to Drive Unit and Battery like in the Tesla. Even their battery warranty is better - LIFETIME.

Of course Hyundai ended their lifetime hybrid battery warranty with the 2019 model year. 2020 and 2021 vehicles don't have a lifetime warranty on the battery. (And full EVs never did.)

• Disagree
Reactions: TimothyHW3
Even more reason to buy private party than before.

I will say if you are buying a 30K used Model S, the 1 year 10K miles is still better than nothing, but a serious degradation from what it was before. Considering how hard Tesla is to deal with, this barely offsets the challenges of buying a used car site unseen, where before the warranty made that worthwhile.

Like others said, not surprising, but, not great for us.

On the topic of OEM warranties, Mitsubishi also has a competitive new car warranty especially for the original buyer. If you have limited funds, buying an off rental Mitsubishi or Hyundai are good low risk options as they usually have 36K on them and are usually around 2 years old. This gives you 2 to 3 years of time to put 24K of miles on and for people like my wife that works out very well giving a low cost, but under warranty car.

Anyway, this change at Tesla SUCKS! Being an avid buyer of older used Model S with their warranty, I am not pleased.