Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change owner account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought our M3 3 weeks ago. My wife created her account 1st, and ordered the car on hers. This assigned her as the primary user account. We added me as a driver.
But I am actually the primary driver / owner. We want to swap our access. For example... only the owner account has Charging Stats. She couldn't care less about that. But I do. So to see them I need to log out of mine, snd in as her.
Is there away for me to swap yo owner. Snd her as an additional driver?

Solution
How often do you need to look at Charge Stats? Probably easier to just borrow you're wife's phone when you want to look. Another option: if you have both a phone and tablet, keep the app on the tablet logged in using your wife's credentials.
IMO, It’s easier to just share her account on your phone. I ordered a 2nd Tesla for the wife mistakenly creating another account and dealing with the ‘managing drivers’ feature to access the car on my primary account is annoying. Wife is currently using the mistaken account, but my plan is to just transfer the car and login my account into her phone.

If you still want to maintain separate accounts, it’ll be easier to update her account with your info (ie name and email) than doing an ownership transfer. Started a transfer over a month ago and it’s still not complete.

Upvote 0
We both drive our Model 3 and both login as the same user. I typed my email/password into my wife's phone in the app and it just stays logged in. Easy.
giphy (12).gif

Reactions: Thp3 and Tha_Ape
Upvote 0
@StevenM922 ,

Pick your battles carefully. I know your wife said she doesn't care, but she does.

Remember when your wife asked; "Do these pants make me look fat?" How did that turn out?

May be cheaper to buy a second Tesla.
Lol! No, seriously she doesn't. The M3 is my retirement gift from her. I resisted trading in my 14 year old BMW convertible for it, but she finally talked me into it. Now she's always saying ""Don't you love your new Tesla?"

But I love your response, how true!

Upvote 0
We both drive our Model 3 and both login as the same user. I typed my email/password into my wife's phone in the app and it just stays logged in. Easy.
That's what I did, mostly because I'm lazy and figured I'd fix issues if they popped up.

Doesn't seem to bother either of us so I'm leaving it as-is. The app has a memory so if I have my car selected, that's what it defaults to. I doubt my wife has ever bothered to swipe to my car in her app and she hasn't had any complaints.

I will say the only down side I've seen to having 2 Teslas is the drop down... I no longer have quick access to the frunk if both cars are near. Very mild inconvenience.

Screenshot_20230713_202515_Brave.jpg

I can still see it on the widget though... so like I said, very minor nit I'm picking

Screenshot_20230713_202812_One UI Home.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do you think about the car vs your BMW convertible?
Took my wife a week to get me to go look at Teslas. I kept telling her I didn't want one. Even ehen we were driving to the show room.
Took her another week to talk me I to a test drive. Whole way there I was saying I didn't want one. Loved my BMW.
The moment I pushed on the accelerator I said "I'll only get a red one." Lol
M3 much better than the Beemer.
20230711_220159.jpg

Upvote 0