Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed Order from 3P+ to SR+, Am I Crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I reviewed that video, but my butt-dyno seems like it "should" be OK with the Standard, I was hunting Stealths for the last 2 months, but not sure I really need the range or performance, I just "want" it, which financially is not smart. Then again, having to trade up in a few months will cost even more, touche.

What’s that reason? I just changed from LR to SR as we simply don’t need the range or AWD in SoCal.

The full premium interior, plus how the car drives (watch the video on the first page here). If you have the money and are already going for a telsa, it just drive so much more fun.

also keep in mind the extra miles means you can go longer in the years ahead while the battery degrades (yes, after year 1, it degrades very slow, but that extra milage super helps)

once again, a tesla is great no matter what. But if you do have the money, you wont regret the LR AWD (and in fact, like the video linked above, there is more oftent regret the other way around)

Reactions: MXWing
Yeah, I reviewed that video, but my butt-dyno seems like it "should" be OK with the Standard, I was hunting Stealths for the last 2 months, but not sure I really need the range or performance, I just "want" it, which financially is not smart. Then again, having to trade up in a few months will cost even more, touche.

The way I look at "the want" is, we live a single life, thats it. We work are asses off, if we dont get things just cause we "want them" (when we can responsibly afford it of course) whats the point in the end?

• Love
Reactions: MXWing and FFR6288
I've seen a lot of postings over the years and I've seen MANY

"Damn I wish I got the P model. How much is it going to cost me to exchange my SR/MR/LR/LRD?"

and not a single

Man, I wish I got a 3SR instead of this beast 3P.

We have a 3P and a 3SR in the family. Both are fantastic cars. However, only one of them gives you road dominance.

In far left lane, stopped at a red light. Freeway exit is 1/8th a mile. To the right of me is a BMW M3, to the right of him is some Corvette.

I hit that exit before those cars even think about moving. Worth 20K right there.

Performance versions are a lot of fun, MXWing is right. Shortly after I got my S, I dropped by an independent BMW shop in Burbank, CA, to give the manager a ride. He had done a lot of repair work on my old 328i, which I finally got rid of. Anyhow, I put it into Ludicrous mode and let him drive. We got onto a two-lane onramp to the northbound I-5. I told him to floor it. The car leaped and in an instant we were at freeway speed. He looked at me. "Be careful with this thing. It's a monster." And who doesn't like monsters?

• Love
Reactions: tren01t and MXWing
Stop with this "put it into TSLA" nonsense.

You can get a loan to put 20K towards a P.

You can't (shouldn't anyway) get a 20K loan to stick into TSLA.

Put 20K cash into TSLA, get a 20K loan for a P.

Those dollars are not exactly fungible.

Earlier I said "holding period matters". It does. How a person drives I guess also matters.

If you are getting a 3P and putting it in chill or accelerate like a Camry - might as well save the money.

If you are 5 minutes late to everything like I am, 3P pays for itself.

Green = Go
Red = Stop
Yellow = Go Faster

I hit that exit before those cars even think about moving. Worth 20K right there.

Well, there you go. It's entirely in your head, right? I mean objectively speaking, say from the Department of Transportation Mothership's overview, or anyone watching nearby, nobody could care less who reaches that exit sooner. And in crowded traffic, you won't get a lot of chances to do it anyway. It's that neurotransmitter kick, that's something else now, that's the ticket. So let's take a cost/benefit approach. That thrill, can you hit it just as well in other ways, for less than 20k, from the humble crak pipe to watching TSLA stock punch through 360 again?
:p

OK, ok, so we only live once. The OP says he's got a kid who needs college money, and he's talking about "almost affording". So clearly it's not an "all things being equal" situation. I'd vote for the SR+. I can beat everybody to the exit on a single motor just fine. If you ever start longing for The Thrill, aside from the suggestions above, go and rent like a Prius for a day, and when you get back in your SR+ you'll feel it.

Last edited:
If you have the money, I highly recommend agasint the sr+ at a minium get the lr awd (stealth is a bonus too) but dont go sr+.

Someone linked a video about from eng explained, which is one very solid reason.

I agree. Having owned a Model 3 Stealth.

I think LR or LR AWD is the sweet spot.

However, I also think it’s not wise (that’s putting it real politely) to buy two the exact same car (and don’t mean trim).

Whenever I buy anything that I need more than one of, I try to choose the second one so it complements the first. For example if I feel I want two hammers in my tool box, do I buy two identical hammers? No way. Might get one medium weight and maybe one larger one. Or maybe one with a claw to remove nails and second one with maybe has a nylon head on one side. Why buy two hammers with the same limitations?

Model 3 is nice. But it can’t haul *sugar*. Not the most comfortable for long drives (bit firm ride and not exactly a quiet cabin).

I would complement your other Model 3 with say a Model X (even used) or wait for a Y. Two model 3’s in one household seems dumb to me.

And if the OP has never taken an S or X for test drive I think they should.

I've seen a lot of postings over the years and I've seen MANY

"Damn I wish I got the P model. How much is it going to cost me to exchange my SR/MR/LR/LRD?"

and not a single

Man, I wish I got a 3SR instead of this beast 3P.

We have a 3P and a 3SR in the family. Both are fantastic cars. However, only one of them gives you road dominance.

In far left lane, stopped at a red light. Freeway exit is 1/8th a mile. To the right of me is a BMW M3, to the right of him is some Corvette.

The OP at least sounds a whole more mature.

Is that Coming from a 17 year old behind the wheel? Your scenario never crosses my mind. And in hindsight I wish I bought a AWD Model 3 instead of Model 3P. Anyone using the potential of that power on daily drives, like you describe, will regret it one day. Fine for the track but not appropriate for public roads. What happens when all those competing cars can beat a Model 3P. Only a Roadster will do?

Maybe it’s like that where you live but not where I live. See it once in blue moon. And often some young kid. Occasionally an adult that never reached adulthood.

Reactions: Yang_H
Well, there you go. It's entirely in your head, right? I mean objectively speaking, say from the Department of Transportation Mothership's overview, or anyone watching nearby, nobody could care less who reaches that exit sooner. And in crowded traffic, you won't get a lot of chances to do it anyway.

It's actually a very valid and practical use case.

If I'm in some SR trying to hit that exit in 1/8th mile at a red next to a BMW M3, and a Corvette - not going to happen.
BMW M3 and Corvette going to yield so I can change multiple lanes? NOPE
Can I just drop behind the M3 and Corvette? I would back up traffic and upset people.

3SR Conclusion: I drive until I can make a u-turn.
3P+ Conclusion: I make the exit.

Crowded Traffic Situations:
Everyone wants to break from the pack and get in front. With instant and very power torque, 3P has the best chance to break free.

The OP at least sounds a whole more mature.

Is that Coming from a 17 year old behind the wheel? Your scenario never crosses my mind. And in hindsight I wish I bought a AWD Model 3 instead of Model 3P. Anyone using the potential of that power on daily drives, like you describe, will regret it one day. Fine for the track but not appropriate for public roads. What happens when all those competing cars can beat a Model 3P. Only a Roadster will do?

17 sounds right. The only difference between my 8 year son and me is the price of our toys. :D

It's not a contrived situation. I am always courteous to GTFO peoples way. I want people to GTFO of my way. I don't need to yield to others or hope someone will yield to me. I control what lane I want to be in and when I want to be in it.

If a 3P is as slow as a BMW M3 - it's time for a Trimotor Cybertruck...

@MXWing, worst of all, you'll make the exit and be gone. Immaterial. Wimpy. Nobody will even notice. Because the trouble with all these EVs is that they don't make that dominant manly roar.

It's not an ego thing. It's a practical thing. I've saved minutes not having to make that u-turn.

There's probably some assumption here that I drive like a maniac. I don't drive more than 5 over the speed limit in the city. I just get to 5 over the speed limit A LOT FASTER than someone else.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
It's actually a very valid and practical use case.

If I'm in some SR trying to hit that exit in 1/8th mile at a red next to a BMW M3, and a Corvette - not going to happen.
BMW M3 and Corvette going to yield so I can change multiple lanes? NOPE
Can I just drop behind the M3 and Corvette? I would back up traffic and upset people.

3SR Conclusion: I drive until I can make a u-turn.
3P+ Conclusion: I make the exit.

Crowded Traffic Situations:
Everyone wants to break from the pack and get in front. With instant and very power torque, 3P has the best chance to break free.

17 sounds right. The only difference between my 8 year son and me is the price of our toys. :D

It's not a contrived situation. I am always courteous to GTFO peoples way. I want people to GTFO of my way. I don't need to yield to others or hope someone will yield to me. I control what lane I want to be in and when I want to be in it.

If a 3P is as slow as a BMW M3 - it's time for a Trimotor Cybertruck...

It's not an ego thing. It's a practical thing. I've saved minutes not having to make that u-turn.

I never miss an exit in any car I’ve had that’s even way slower than an SR. Maybe you need to think about how your driving habits gets you into that situation in the first place. I might miss an exit because I wasn’t paying attention though.

I never miss an exit in any car I’ve had that’s even way slower than an SR. Maybe you need to think about how your driving habits gets you into that situation in the first place. I might miss an exit because I wasn’t paying attention though.

Let’s use a picture! Let’s see where you are at,where I am at.

If this doesn’t sell a 3P, nothing will.

Yes, we BOTH make the exit (eventually and at different times LOL). Difference is I do it in style.

83F74096-670D-458F-B57F-DC09196E3136.jpeg

Note: If you have a 3P and drive like MSWLogo, it might as well be a 3SR. :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: molster