Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed Order from 3P+ to SR+, Am I Crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snowflakes don’t limit regen. The snowflake and limited regen are separate things.

I know the snow flake doesn´t indicate lack of regen (which is shown by the dashed lines on the left of the power meter) but I have the feeling that when you have a snow flake it is like, next level lack of regen. Typically the ability to produce, but also accept current is limited by the snow flake, so I think there is a correlation in when the two appear. while lack of regen on the highway does not matter much, in traffic it affects range a lot (like 30% lost to warming up brake pads.)

We own two Model 3s, an SR+ and M3P+. The SR+ is really all anyone needs and it is still very quick. I also appreciate that it is about 400 lbs lighter than the AWD models. Removing that weight off the nose makes the car more tossable imo. That said, if you are a performance enthusiast, have your financial priorities in check and if you are the type of person that will always be wishing you sprung for the performance model then I would recommend just getting what you really want.

While the SR+ is quick, the 3P is silly quick. They both put a smile on your face but one just puts a bigger smile, even some giggles and has me saying to myself quite often, “damn this car is quick”. This is coming from someone who owned performance cars, Corvettes, etc. It is true you can’t exploit all that performance on the public roads but that goes for the SR+ as well. One just gets you over the speed limit a couple seconds quicker, so it all about exploiting the short bursts of acceleration mainly at lower speeds when you find open space on the roads you travel. For, me the 3P is all about the shove in the seat you get with the instant acceleration. This is the only car I ever owned where I have to remember to put my head back against the headrest before putting my foot in it or I may strain it. :D

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I can't help but comment on how things have changed since "the old days". I've been driving for well over 50 years, and "back in the day" a BMW 2002tii was one of the "grail" cars - small, lightweight, quick handling. The kicker is that this "performance" car had a 0-60 time of 9.9 seconds. The 1963 Corvette - an iconic car in many ways - was a 360HP 350 lb/ft torque powerhouse that was a "gotta have it" dream for many. It roared from 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. A 1994 Porsche Speedster - a highly sought after classic - had a 0-60 time of 5.7 seconds.

Today the average car has a 0-60 time near 8 seconds. I appreciate the desire to have a car that smokes 0-60 times without effort, but seriously, there is a LOT more to driving enjoyment than 0-60 times. And despite the car mags distilling everything down to 0-60 times as the basis for evaluating a sports car, a Model 3 SR+ that hits 0-60 in 5.3 seconds is PLENTY FAST. In fact, that was the advertised 0-60 time for my LR RWD Model 3 of 2018 vintage. More importantly, since electric motors have peak torque at 0 RPMs, acceleration in any EV is nearly instantaneous with no lag, gear shifts or other delays.

There are many cars far faster than 0-60 than the SR+, or other EVs, but few will be as fast from 30-50 or 40-70, the speeds we most often will see in the real world.

Don't get hung up on specs - enjoy that any Tesla will give you immediate acceleration EVERY TIME you ask for it. ICE cars make lots of noise when they rev up, and that noise is often exciting. EV driving is different - there are less aural cues, but that doesn't mean that the cars are slow.

As I said in an earlier post - if the SR+ was available when I bought my LR RWD last year it would have been very tempting. I'm glad I have my car (I like RWD only, and despite not using it often, the added range is welcome), but I have been suggesting to friends who drive my car that the SR+ is the best car Tesla makes.

Last edited:
Thanks Len, you're a voice of reason as my doubts constantly resurface. I check the inventory 20x's a day to see the Performance demos going for about 12-15k more than my "stripper" SR+, and I know I "could" afford it, but also know I shouldn't. Driving my V-8 2SS Camaro with a manual, I find I coasted a lot to try to get my mpgs up, so I tend to like both ends of the spectrum, performance and efficiency (I'm cheap but I want it all).

In the past every time I've purchased a "compromise" I regret it, but I also know that, especially with newer technology, the next-best-thing is no further than 2-3 years out, and the depreciation on a stripper "should" be less than a Performance. Even as I type this, I sound like I'm making excuses, so will likely always second guess myself. . .

JB - I understand "second guessing" your SR+ decision - we all do it. All I can tell you is my experience. I'm a "caraholic", having owned literally dozens of cars over 50+ years of driving, as well as well over a dozen motorcycles. In that grouping of machines I've had everything from an AMC Gremlin to high end sports cars. And I pretty much second guessed each of them. Advertising is a powerful force, always making you want something new. That feeling is stoked by the many car magazines and websites also pushing the "newest and greatest".

In the end the reality of owning these machines is very different. They all depreciate, have "issues", cost more to maintain than you expect, and eventually we lose interest or move to something else. And the reason is that the hype of sports cars is very different from reality. Most state speed limits rarely exceed 80 MPH, and most cities have 35-45 MPH speed limits within the city. Add to that traffic, congestion, parking lots and other normal situations, and the ability to use a high performance sports car is very limited.

Historically, there has been a large difference in the way car manufacturers built their machines, and consumers made their choice. If you bought an "American Muscle" car, you wanted high torque engines at lower RPMs, giving a feeling of power from a dead stop. "European" engines produce less low end torque, but higher peak HP. That's great for high speed driving, and since many European roads don't have a speed limit, driving at 125MPH is not uncommon at all. For a long time that was the choice - high peak HP or low end Torque. No wonder people had "buyer's remorse". If your perspective changed - from driving experience, advertising or anything else - you had the wrong tool for the type of driving you wanted to enjoy, and so you switched cars.

That's where EVs have changed everything. The torque on an EV motor is instantaneous, making for a VERY enjoyable driving experience. So far the automotive press hasn't explained this change very well. My Mustang GT manual transmission car was very enjoyable to drive - because I was actively engaged in driving - shifting gears, hearing the aural cues of the engine revving, and seeing tires smoke if I wanted them to. But if the goal was quick response and instant acceleration the EV drivetrain on the Tesla actually accelerates faster than the Mustang from 20-50, 30-5-, 30-70 and most other speeds. It's a constant thrust without having to change gears. EVs are truly unique driving experiences.

I'm pretty sure that if you take your SR+ and put it in context of Carlsbad CA roads, allowing for traffic, speed limits and all the rest, you'll be amazed that you won't have any buyer's remorse. The car will just do everything you want it to do with little fuss. Can a M3P accelerate quicker? Sure, but how much quicker, and how often will you be able to use that power? I also prefer RWD cars. I don't like the extra weight on the front axle, and find the steering feel is far better. That's one thing that the European cars get very right - any Porsche will have good steering feel, and needless to say the Ferrari excelled in that area. Today most cars have abandoned traditional steering racks for electronic steering - it's a different feel.

My point? Simply this, there are so many limitations to how/where you can enjoy true sports car driving that cloud our judgments to what we may want versus what we can expect the reality of daily driving to provide. And that difference leads to "buyers remorse". Don't worry about it, just realize it exists. If you find that the SR+ doesn't paste a smile on your face every time you drive it, that doesn't mean it's a bad car. It just means that the driving you're doing at the time is a bit of a mismatch for what you expected. The analogy is a toolbox - sometimes you need a hammer, and if you do a screwdriver just won't be a good substitute.

Buy the car that matches most of your driving needs on a daily driver basis. You can always rent another car for those mismatch times. You have a Tesla SuperCharger right in your backyard - the SR+ range shouldn't be an issue at all. The car will likely be the best tool for 90%+ of your driving needs. Think of how often you'll have a chance to floor a M3P in your typical driving day - my guess is that it won't be that often. On the other hand, you'll be able to floor your SR+ from 20-50 just about every time you want to. In those situations, how much better would a M3P+ actually be? You won't be accelerating to 60 or 100, but likely only 40-50. And with no front motor when you do enjoy a long sweeping turn in your car, the SR+ will likley have better steering feel - your power will be from the rear drive wheels, not from a front engine pulling you through the turn. The M3P will ALWAYS have AWD steering feel - the SR+ will ALWAYS feel like RWD. I know which feel I prefer, and that is why I still have a RWD Tesla and will likely keep it that way.

To me the compromise isn’t 0-60 acceleration times, it’s having to live with the feel of AWD all the time. I’ll gladly give up some acceleration that I’ll use very rarely to enjoy the feel of the car every second I’m behind the wheel - and that’s why I tell all my friends to buy the SR+.

Rent a SR+ and drive it like you would if you owned it - I doubt you’ll find it disappointing.

Last edited:
@lencap you're very kind to the car mags. It's the same in all the gadget markets: it's a con. I don't even think it's like a conspiracy, or deliberately misleading, everybody's caught in the con, and these rags play an immense role. They drive the economy in a very specific direction.

Everybody needs food, some clothing and shelter. Some nicer, some basic. But above that line, we're into "disposable income". There are two choices. We can be smart, and set some aside for the kids and a rainy day (and we all get old and unable to work much, that's rainy for sure, it comes sooner than you think). But most of us follow the siren song of the mags and trends and coolness, and blow it all on the latest tech gadgets and other stuff that is designed to distract and briefly fill that insecurity hole.

And the mags help enlarge the hole, and make the temporary fix shorter. What - you have a two year old iPhone? And you're only driving a SR+? But wait, you mean the world's most advanced electric car, packed with state of the art electronics and AI? Well, no, there's a MORE MORE version. And the autopilot isn't perfect. So look, amigo, there's a Rivian coming, and a Porsche too. You DO love the strongest and the best, don't you? You need to hurry up and compete, 'cause you feel pretty lousy pretty often, so spend every last penny ASAP, you'll feel worse if you don't. That's what these mags are for.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: OCR1
Valid points, thanks guys. I went to the T orientation today, and it was packed. Of course, there was a Perf demo there that is exactly what I ordered, panicked, and cancelled, Blue on White. Really fell in love with it again. Drove my wife's LR RWD home, and thought, but maybe I should just splurge. . . ugh, this indecision is killing me, but if that demo popped up at a decent discount, ain't gonna lie, would haveta make it mine. . . Though by the time my SR+ stripper is ready prolly 1/31 if possible, I'll have had several opportunities to do stupid things. . .

“Hi, my name is JB and I’m a caraholic”.

The first step in solving your indecision is admitting your “problem”. I didn’t know that your wife has a LR RWD model 3. You own that car, have driven it, see the pluses and minuses from it, and still you can’t seem to shake the desire for a Performance model 3. If the LR RWD doesn’t float your boat, do you think the SR+ will?

There’s nothing wrong with wanting something even if it’s not a rational choice, and from everything you’ve written it seems as if that’s where you are. So if you have to have the Performance car, and it won’t financially imperil your family, and your wife will support your decision, then I think your decision is made.

Reactions: tren01t
JB - I want to relate one more experience before signing off on the thread. In 1987 I had a pretty good job, and everything was going fine. I thought I’d treat myself to a toy, and so I began looking for a car. To make the story short I worked my way up to a Porsche 91, twice the price of another brand I initially considered. The 911 was white, manual transmission with all the options I wanted. It was above my budget, but I am an expert rationalizer and I got my wife to agree. Even so, there was a voice whispering in my ear (I think you know what I mean) that maybe extending myself at that time wasn’t the best way to go. It’s no fun listening to that voice so I bought the car because “I had to have it”.

The took delivery in early August 1987. I was loving that car. My wife drove it at least as well as I did (she’s an excellent driver). All was great until October when the stock market crashed. All of sudden my financial status changed without any warning. A high end sports car, especially one that I stretched to own, didn’t seem like such a good idea anymore. It seemed even less like a good idea when my company announced cutbacks because of an uncertain economy following the market collapse. I sold the Porsche in November, less than three months after buying “the car of my dreams”.

I don’t have a point for sharing this story, just consider it the reminisces of a senior citizen who has experienced lots of unexpected things. And through it all I’m still married to my high school sweetheart, and we’ve been together for over 52 years. There’s no car, motorcycle or anything else that compares to that. And I wish you the same.

PS: the Brutale was great fun, so was the Ducati 916, and taking a class with Keith Code personally instructing me at the Virginia International Speedway. I also drove my friends Ferrari 458 to a timed 182.8 MPH speed on a 1.5 mile closed course airport runway in the Mojave desert from a standing start. He then took me for a ride on the same course reaching 227MPH in his modified 2006 Ford GT.

That’s the answer to your dilemma - make friends with rich people!

Be well, and all the best regardless of what you decide.

@lencap brought up something that's worth reimagining as "buying on margin".

I think we've covered all the issues, in depth. Best wishes, and you don't need
the customary "welcome to the amazing Tesla thing". Unless your wife's car
didn't get EAP or FSD, so you don't know the whole thrill of watching the AI evolve.
In THAT case, I would humbly suggest a test drive of NOA on 2019.40.2.1 or newer.

I just drove Nicki in NOA/MadMax on the freeways for the first time since the 40.2.1
update, and it's a different thrill from torque alone: it's watching some amazing AI
get so much smarter and bolder with every update. That's been worth more to me
than more of the same.

Now, to tell all, as I was getting on my onramp, some kid made a rude but valiant
try at pushing me out of the way. I floored it - leaving him there - and dropped it
into NOA saying "navigate home", dialed the speed limit up to 85, the gap to 1,
and sat back with the tunes good and loud. Mad Max kept working - I won't say
"weaving", though it was - through the lanes in the dense & fast traffic. It even scared
me a few times, but we was determined ... the kid got stuck a few cars back and
never got a chance to pass. Damn, Nicki, you were a student driver a few months
ago. You've got some chops now, and more on the way.

My commute from home to office is 11 miles each way. I am a criminal defense attorney, so I occasionally travel to different courthouses, mostly in So. Cal, but rarely further than 100 miles away. My problem, as Len identified, is that I am a "Caraholic".

I've owned a Porsche 911 turbo cabriolet, a Corvette, and more BMW's than I'd care to admit. Once I started racing motorcycles, I backed off on the performance car scene and "took it to the track", in IMHO no supercar can match the exhilaration of taking a corner at 100+ mph with your body literally dragging on the pavement.

After crashing 4x's last year, I'm considering moto-retirement, and all that extra time and money has to go somewhere (well, it should go off to college with my daughter, but she won't let me go with her. . . )

Is the extra $15k worth the gutteral punch to my kidneys when my right foot hits the floor? Maybe. . .

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
JB - Talk about burying the lead!

Your first post was asking to help you decide if the SR+ was the better choice instead of reaching for a Performance model. A later post then casually mentions that your wife has a Model 3 LR RWD! That's pretty significant information. Now, after I was "at peace" that the advice I offered was potentially useful, you shake us up again with another small detail - you owned a 911 TURBO CAB, and a CORVETTE, and MORE BMWS than you'd care to admit. And to top it off, you ALSO RACE motorcycles.

Your CIA training was well taken! I guess as a criminal attorney "need to know" is common practice. You managed to get to page 4 without giving us the punch line, and before we realized that your first post was accurate all along: "AM I CRAZY?" (;->).

The bigger problem is that I'll now be in therapy for a while. Here's my first session summary: "Doc, I joined the Tesla forum, and this "noob" asked for some advice about buying the base model car. So I start trying to help him decide, and before you know it I learn that he's a professional driver, he used to race motorcycles, and he's also able to buy any car toy he wants. Help me, doc. I've lost touch with reality. I was only trying to help him. Doc, ya gotta help me.... Meds, no I don't need meds, why do you ask?"

I'm scheduled to see the doc 3X a week. The meds he gave me are supposed to be helpful. My recovery shouldn't take "more than a few years" according to him. Hopefully Medicare has a sense of humor. And, it turns out, I actually don't mind electroshock treatments....

Last edited:
I don't mind any meds, @lencap. Hoard them for me, 'K?

Worst case we can save them for @JBailey895.

Now, @JBailey895, I'd call your courtroom bedside manner a tad deceptive. As I read your last post I misread and thought at first your said you were a Catholic, not a Caraholic.

OF COURSE, what you need is a Performance Model 3, and don't f'n forget the FSD, you'll thank me later. So will your wife if you sell those other death trap machines and convert to a bit of ... family life.

Last edited:
Haha, you guys are funny, but I've "almost" completely convinced myself that my ego doesn't need the $15k upgrade, and I shouldn't over-think it. Slamming my body into asphalt has taught me that its more challenging to go fast on a slow machine than slow on a fast one, so unless I find a P demo at a ridiculous discount in the next week or so, SR+ for me. . . (probably).

JB - Now I have to make another appointment with the doc....

"I was sure he'd go Performance, he's a RACER, he had a TURBO PORSCHE, and a CORVETTE. He waited for a week before he even told us. He's a LAWYER - and he claims he doesn't have an EGO? I didn't know there were lawyers without an ego! Doc, I'm worse now than I was before. Ya gotta help me! Can I see you today? Doc, please. Don't hang up! DOC PLEASE. I NEED HELP...."

haha this thread is a roller coaster ... what new info is going to drop next?
I also ride. perhaps not as hard as you guys do, but hey, I occasionally drag a peg on a Tiger XCX with boxes! If I were walking away from my bikes, something quick and visceral on 4 wheels has got to be there. I have a deal with my wife... the bikes go, something with 3 pedals, RWD/LSD and a lot of noise is replacing them. You'll probably get bored with the SR+... most of us car fanatics get bored or look to something else eventually if you settled. If you get the SR+ you may get an itch for something else unless you can compartmentalize what it is... a quick sedan, not a laugh out loud experience. If you get the performance, you might get less of an itch.... but as much as I really like the Model 3 Performance, I don't care if it'll launch to 60 in 3 seconds or whatever, the experience can't compare to lifting the wheel of a bike out of an apex.
this isn't helping is it....
well I'm still getting an SR. I might improve handling a bit at some point but I'm calling it a commuting car and nothing more. I put summer tires on my eGolf and still enjoyed that in the curves! it's like 100hp, but the chassis was well sorted.

check these guys out if you go SR+: Mountain Pass Performance they're working on a traction control defeat, which could turn your commuter SR+ into a laugh-out-loud ride with some opposite lock!

JB - I understand "second guessing" your SR+ decision - we all do it. All I can tell you is my experience. I'm a "caraholic", having owned literally dozens of cars over 50+ years of driving, as well as well over a dozen motorcycles. In that grouping of machines I've had everything from an AMC Gremlin to high end sports cars. And I pretty much second guessed each of them. Advertising is a powerful force, always making you want something new. That feeling is stoked by the many car magazines and websites also pushing the "newest and greatest".

In the end the reality of owning these machines is very different. They all depreciate, have "issues", cost more to maintain than you expect, and eventually we lose interest or move to something else. And the reason is that the hype of sports cars is very different from reality. Most state speed limits rarely exceed 80 MPH, and most cities have 35-45 MPH speed limits within the city. Add to that traffic, congestion, parking lots and other normal situations, and the ability to use a high performance sports car is very limited.

Historically, there has been a large difference in the way car manufacturers built their machines, and consumers made their choice. If you bought an "American Muscle" car, you wanted high torque engines at lower RPMs, giving a feeling of power from a dead stop. "European" engines produce less low end torque, but higher peak HP. That's great for high speed driving, and since many European roads don't have a speed limit, driving at 125MPH is not uncommon at all. For a long time that was the choice - high peak HP or low end Torque. No wonder people had "buyer's remorse". If your perspective changed - from driving experience, advertising or anything else - you had the wrong tool for the type of driving you wanted to enjoy, and so you switched cars.

That's where EVs have changed everything. The torque on an EV motor is instantaneous, making for a VERY enjoyable driving experience. So far the automotive press hasn't explained this change very well. My Mustang GT manual transmission car was very enjoyable to drive - because I was actively engaged in driving - shifting gears, hearing the aural cues of the engine revving, and seeing tires smoke if I wanted them to. But if the goal was quick response and instant acceleration the EV drivetrain on the Tesla actually accelerates faster than the Mustang from 20-50, 30-5-, 30-70 and most other speeds. It's a constant thrust without having to change gears. EVs are truly unique driving experiences.

I'm pretty sure that if you take your SR+ and put it in context of Carlsbad CA roads, allowing for traffic, speed limits and all the rest, you'll be amazed that you won't have any buyer's remorse. The car will just do everything you want it to do with little fuss. Can a M3P accelerate quicker? Sure, but how much quicker, and how often will you be able to use that power? I also prefer RWD cars. I don't like the extra weight on the front axle, and find the steering feel is far better. That's one thing that the European cars get very right - any Porsche will have good steering feel, and needless to say the Ferrari excelled in that area. Today most cars have abandoned traditional steering racks for electronic steering - it's a different feel.

My point? Simply this, there are so many limitations to how/where you can enjoy true sports car driving that cloud our judgments to what we may want versus what we can expect the reality of daily driving to provide. And that difference leads to "buyers remorse". Don't worry about it, just realize it exists. If you find that the SR+ doesn't paste a smile on your face every time you drive it, that doesn't mean it's a bad car. It just means that the driving you're doing at the time is a bit of a mismatch for what you expected. The analogy is a toolbox - sometimes you need a hammer, and if you do a screwdriver just won't be a good substitute.

Buy the car that matches most of your driving needs on a daily driver basis. You can always rent another car for those mismatch times. You have a Tesla SuperCharger right in your backyard - the SR+ range shouldn't be an issue at all. The car will likely be the best tool for 90%+ of your driving needs. Think of how often you'll have a chance to floor a M3P in your typical driving day - my guess is that it won't be that often. On the other hand, you'll be able to floor your SR+ from 20-50 just about every time you want to. In those situations, how much better would a M3P+ actually be? You won't be accelerating to 60 or 100, but likely only 40-50. And with no front motor when you do enjoy a long sweeping turn in your car, the SR+ will likley have better steering feel - your power will be from the rear drive wheels, not from a front engine pulling you through the turn. The M3P will ALWAYS have AWD steering feel - the SR+ will ALWAYS feel like RWD. I know which feel I prefer, and that is why I still have a RWD Tesla and will likely keep it that way.

To me the compromise isn’t 0-60 acceleration times, it’s having to live with the feel of AWD all the time. I’ll gladly give up some acceleration that I’ll use very rarely to enjoy the feel of the car every second I’m behind the wheel - and that’s why I tell all my friends to buy the SR+.

Rent a SR+ and drive it like you would if you owned it - I doubt you’ll find it disappointing.

As a fellow caraholic I share your thoughts. I agree with your assessment on the handling. I own both a SR+ and M3P and I prefer the handling of the SR+. 400lbs less weight over the nose and having the weight of the rear motor over the rear axle makes the SR+ feel more like a mid engine car. If they made a performance version of the Model 3 in RWD only that would be my first choice, even if it was a bit slower.

That said, if you are a sucker for torque the M3P does not disappoint. This is the first car I ever owned where I say to myself, I really don’t desire anything faster than this. For me, I think 0-60 in 3 seconds is silly fast and the fact it will pull almost 1g in acceleration is hysterical. I know a lot of folks will think the M3P is too much for the street and of course it is more than anyone needs but its power delivery can be put to use on the street since it delivers so much torque at lower speeds where we spend the most time. The effortless, smooth, instant power is what keeps the smile on the face. I drive both models back to back all the time and while the SR+ is no doubt quick and fun the M3P will make you giggle when you put your foot in it.