Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

changing headlights on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hae a 2020 M3 with the older style lights. Someone backed into the car and broke both headlight assemblies. They cost $987 each to replace and that didn't include installation. I can only assume the newer style lights are even more expensive, after all when does anything ever get cheaper.
You can't currently retrofit the newer projection lights onto your car if it came with the older lights.

Each headlight new from Tesla is about $1000, but you can find plenty of used ones on eBay for much less than that (just make sure they are not cracked). If nothing works on the headlight, you might just need to replace the small computer on it for around $80 (also on eBay, called the "ballast").

I hae a 2020 M3 with the older style lights. Someone backed into the car and broke both headlight assemblies. They cost $987 each to replace and that didn't include installation. I can only assume the newer style lights are even more expensive, after all when does anything ever get cheaper.

We hit a deer with our 2022 M3 and broke the headlight (luckily nothing else). Tesla price for the light itself was ~$1200, though you can find on ebay for ~$250.

I debated buying off ebay and installing myself (you still need to have Tesla program the light), but opted to have Tesla do it and file an insurance claim instead; partly because I was skeptical that the deer hadn't caused any other damage and wanted them to check it out.

I have replaced my headlights twice and never had to do a software update. Stupid accent strip failed on original and first replacement set.
I just noticed the driver's side strip on my wife's 3 went out completely. The two sides never matched perfectly to begin with, but now one is completely dead. What did you replace yours with? A new one from Tesla or one of the new or used options from Ebay?

This is ridiculous! $1200 for a headlight assembly!!! The aftermarket vendor's need to reverse engineer Tesla components so we owners can go to Autozone and get a replacement part without being drained of our money!
all the new cars now are just supe expensive with their headlight assembly due to most of them are now led projectors/matrix etc

This is ridiculous! $1200 for a headlight assembly!!! The aftermarket vendor's need to reverse engineer Tesla components so we owners can go to Autozone and get a replacement part without being drained of our money!
This is pretty normal for headlight prices today, given what a huge and complex assembly they are. This is no longer just a filament and a mirror.

But there are literally 1M+ Model 3's out there. You can find these used quite affordably, and isn't that actually the more environmentally responsible solution anyway?

Here's a Kia K5 headlight: $800, and that's off a $24K car: Genuine Kia K5 Headlight

Reactions: jboy210
2002 Toyota Sequioa and both came with halogen headlights and were under $200.
Really? Tell me more about your car that was designed 25 years ago against a modern car. Super relevant!

I own a Tesla and 2 ICE SUVs that get under 20 mpg. Buying environmentally responsible used car parts is the last thing I think about.
Why did you buy a Tesla if you don't care about the environment and just want cheap parts? Wait until you find out how expensive a battery is even though you replaced your laptop battery in 2003 for only $150.

Really? Tell me more about your car that was designed 25 years ago against a modern car. Super relevant!

Why did you buy a Tesla if you don't care about the environment and just want cheap parts? Wait until you find out how expensive a battery is even though you replaced your laptop battery in 2003 for only $150.
I replaced a third SUV with the new Tesla. I do care about the environment. I just think used parts are way down on my concern list.

You can't currently retrofit the newer projection lights onto your car if it came with the older lights.

Each headlight new from Tesla is about $1000, but you can find plenty of used ones on eBay for much less than that (just make sure they are not cracked). If nothing works on the headlight, you might just need to replace the small computer on it for around $80 (also on eBay, called the "ballast").
Hi

You are wrong

Can change headlamps LED to MXB or MXB to LED, car year and model doesent matter 3 or Y

coding in gateway, firmware update and its done

Reactions: buckets0fun