Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Lanes in Auto-Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it turned on in your settings?

upload_2018-8-3_13-49-21.png

On that note, auto lane change presently only works on limited access highways. Even if it sees multiple lanes on a multi-lane surface street, it will decline to act.
Some users on reddit have reported this changing in the US. They haven't indicated their AP version, but I just had an AP1 X loaner, and it would switch lanes on my daily commute where my AP2.5 X won't. I also noticed several other behaviors in the AP1 X that were more advanced than AP2.5 in spite of consensus seeming to indicate parity has been reached and/or AP2 is better.

Auto lane change is "geo" fenced to only work on "Limited Controled access Roads" as per Tesla. I have been questioning and complaining about this for over a year now on AP2, my AP1 works great any place but now as per Tesla, it is by design that lane will only change on Limited Access Roads.
It is so unfortunately that now the computer is the one determining where we can safely change lanes. Such a great feature the "auto-drive" rendered useless as we must turn OFF the auto drive if we dont want to be stuck behind a slow moving truck.
I am delaying my model 3 order as this is one feature I consider a must have under my control when it is safe to change lanes.
Perhaps there is someone out there that can explain WHY it was done this way as the people I have been talking to for over a year now have no clue or wont say it was a mistake or when it will be fixed.
So sad.....

Reactions: noble910
Auto lane change is "geo" fenced to only work on "Limited Controled access Roads" as per Tesla. I have been questioning and complaining about this for over a year now on AP2, my AP1 works great any place but now as per Tesla, it is by design that lane will only change on Limited Access Roads.
It is so unfortunately that now the computer is the one determining where we can safely change lanes. Such a great feature the "auto-drive" rendered useless as we must turn OFF the auto drive if we dont want to be stuck behind a slow moving truck.
I am delaying my model 3 order as this is one feature I consider a must have under my control when it is safe to change lanes.
Perhaps there is someone out there that can explain WHY it was done this way as the people I have been talking to for over a year now have no clue or wont say it was a mistake or when it will be fixed.
So sad.....
yep my AP1 X will do it on any surface with dashed lines about 30 MPH...lovely.

So sad.....
It is a shame. The one I test drive changed lanes. Mine doesn’t. False advertisement, dirty sales tactics. I’ve come to the terms that Tesla has a long road to go as far as customer relations. However, I love this car and won’t drive anything else, EVER!

As others stated, auto lane change is limited to multi lane divided highways. Additionally, the car must recognized via vision processing of markings on the road .... if lanes are available to change into it will be rendered in the cluster display.

It is a shame. The one I test drive changed lanes. Mine doesn’t. False advertisement, dirty sales tactics. I’ve come to the terms that Tesla has a long road to go as far as customer relations. However, I love this car and won’t drive anything else, EVER!

Where did you take your test drive? Does your car change lane on those roads?

Was the test drive on the same road? As others have said auto-lane change is geo-fenced to specific roads. Here in the UK it works on all motorways and some dual carriageways, but not others. Annoyingly it doesn't work on a local dual carriageway that I drive up and down daily, but works on other identical roads a few miles away. Road markings are identical, so it's not that. Definitely geo-fenced by specific roads.