Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing payment option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my car, I selected cash because I didn’t want a credit pull since we are closing on our house this week. But I wanted to make sure I got an order in. Can I change it to tesla financing before delivery? It’s not giving me an edit option now.

When I ordered my car, I selected cash because I didn’t want a credit pull since we are closing on our house this week. But I wanted to make sure I got an order in. Can I change it to tesla financing before delivery? It’s not giving me an edit option now.

You likely need to contact your tesla salesperson (or contact tesla via phone). "Cash" means you are either paying cash, or bringing your own financing, so even if its "too late" to use tesla financing (which I doubt it is, actually, you might just need someone to unlock the option on your account again or something), you can simply apply for financing through your bank / credit union, etc.

The rates through tesla directly are generally somewhat competitive, but usually not the lowest you can find. Its just "easier" to go through them. Its not like a lot of other companies where there is some incentive tied to financing through the captive financial arm (BMW finance, Toyota motor credit, etc etc).

Reactions: bdub85
I was able to update this by using the live chat on Tesla’s website. They unlocked it and I was able to change payment method.

Awesome thanks. My plan is to go through tesla financing and then have them rate match my better credit union rate. I saw the email [email protected] in source code where they’ll match any rate up to 7 days after delivery. Just need an approval letter and the RN number.

Contact your nearest dealer. I changed mine. They want to have all the paperwork prepared before delivery, but it can be changed. I had the same problem as you, it wouldn't "order" the car until you complete the payment information. A strange way to buy a car. They also press you to pay in advance. Don't do that. Bring a check for the loan (if from outside lender). Any remaining balance, or the total if not financing, can be paid online after you inspect the car on the day of delivery.

Awesome thanks. My plan is to go through tesla financing and then have them rate match my better credit union rate. I saw the email [email protected] in source code where they’ll match any rate up to 7 days after delivery. Just need an approval letter and the RN number.

I would verify they still do that... and what would be the reason for not just going with your credit union directly vs trying to have tesla rate match?

I would verify they still do that... and what would be the reason for not just going with your credit union directly vs trying to have tesla rate match?
I thought it might be easier going through tesla. But I might just go through my credit union direct. I’ll just need a cashiers check at delivery?

My last tesla I just went through tesla financing.

I thought it might be easier going through tesla. But I might just go through my credit union direct. I’ll just need a cashiers check at delivery?

My last tesla I just went through tesla financing.

I dont know if maryland rules are different than California's with regards to delivery, but in CA. I took a cashiers check for my down payment (which was sizable, more than the amount I financed actually), and for the portion I financed I had a bank check (blank check from my credit union you put the vin on). It was very easy, and no fuss from tesla. This was 2018 though, which at this point feels like it was 2 decades ago, given what has gone on this year.

Any part you pay from your own accounts, you can put in the routing and account information on your phone at Tesla website at the dealer after inspection and authorize an electronic debit immediately. Any financed portion you can have the bank issue a check to take with you on the delivery day, and you will have your VIN before the car is even produced if ordering to your spec. If financed thru Tesla, they will take care of that portion. You can also take a personal check for your portion, but why? The Tesla web site wants you to pay everything right away, or earlier than delivery. Don't let it fool you. Pay after you are satisfied with the delivery. Once Tesla gets your money, they will take a long time to return any of it if there are problems with your new car at delivery.

Just went through this yesterday. I actually talked to the delivery person at Tesla Dedham and within 5 minutes he was able to switch itin my account to allow me to apply for financing. I was approved about 2-3 minutes after submitting my application.
I had sent 2 e-mails and about 3 text messages to the text thread regarding my vehicle purchase and my SA is completely ignoring me. I am glad the delivery agent at the dedham location is actually super helpful to fix these issues in a timely fashion and is not ignoring me. I am scheduled for delivery this friday.

Reactions: wreighven