Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing seats 6 to 7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will need to track down a new center seat. I assume it's a quick swap. Manufacturers generally use the same body regardless of the amount of seats used. It will either use the same mounting points or there will be mounting points for the 3 seater middle section under the carpet. As Richbuilds has noticed with adding rear seats in the rear of model S's. They come with the mounting points in the back regardless if they came from the factory with or without the rear seats. Now the question I would be asking is if you install the new seats how will the rear heated seats work now that there will be 3 instead of 2?

7 seater.png

You will need to track down a new center seat. I assume it's a quick swap. Manufacturers generally use the same body regardless of the amount of seats used. It will either use the same mounting points or there will be mounting points for the 3 seater middle section under the carpet. As Richbuilds has noticed with adding rear seats in the rear of model S's. They come with the mounting points in the back regardless if they came from the factory with or without the rear seats. Now the question I would be asking is if you install the new seats how will the rear heated seats work now that there will be 3 instead of 2?

View attachment 343354
It's not that simple. The middle row in a 7 seater is totally different than a 6 seater. The 6 has power middle row and the 7 is manual not to mention the seats are bucket on the 6. The seven is a 60/40 split bench. Long story short is that it can not be changed. It must be configured when ordering. The main reason a 6 is more money is because the 2 middle seats are powered. The other main difference is that the middle row on the 6 do not fold flat like the 7. Hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

View attachment 343354

Not saying it's impossible, but it's not a simple matter of swapping the seat hardware. You would also have to reconfigure the MCU and sort out any electrical connections, which may or may not be the same in 6 and 7 seater wiring looms. Not even the carpets are the same due to the totally different seat mounts. In short it would turn into a big headache and Tesla may well not support your warranty or the computer re-programming and your insurance company would probably get pretty upset with the modifications too.

Only sensible solution is to sell your 6-seater and buy a 7-seater of the same vintage.

I am now converting the 6-seater Model X90D car. I bought a 7-seater interior. Unfortunately, the bolting points of the 2nd row seats are not the same. 11 pcs. An M10 pop rivet nut was installed in the required holes. Also, the floor covering and parts 5-16 shown in the attached link must be replaced. The 3rd row seats are also unusable until they are rewritten to 7-seaters by software. There is an error code for the right and left 2nd row seats.
IMG_20231212_193409.jpg

https://tsk.ua/katalog/2nd-row-carp...xly1mD_PcGMOtez8dKKhiFzj91FCLqTD87ZUuzBPfwkd8