Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing to electric hot water?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, some low flow shower heads are pretty good. Some are terrible. YMMV. Also most of the time there is reducer that you can remove without resorting to drilling.
Second - location matters in these discussions. Ground water temperature varies across the country and that impacts recovery a decent amount.
Third - Gas hot water heaters have much higher standby losses than electric. With solar pre heating, this is quite important. In the summer, you could preheat the water before the gas heater and then lose the heat in the gas part. Heat that you would not lose in an electric tank. Most gas hot water heaters lose heat up the chimney. They have gotten better but it is still a pretty big issue.
Fourth - If you have solar pre heating, then you presumably have a tank before the main tank. This adds to your hot water capacity. Obviously in the summer if you have 80 gallons heated to 150 degrees, you have more than 80 extra gallons. And even in the winter, you get some pre heating. Even during a solar eclipse for a week, the tank is presumably in conditioned space and would still be slightly pre heating the ground water. But this obviously depends on your situation (tank location and ground water temp)
A well designed solar pre heat situation will still take ground water from 55 (guessing) to 90-100 in the depth of winter. Does Auburn even have a depth of winter? Heating water from 90 to shower temp (105?) is like 3 times easier than 55 to 105.

But last, you are not likely to use much electricity with a heat pump hot water heater with solar pre heat. It might be 1000 kwh a year on the high side. So don't expect to use that much free electricity. And most of that will be in Dec/Jan if that matters for your net metering/loss of excess credits.

Reactions: diyguy
First of all, some low flow shower heads are pretty good. Some are terrible. YMMV. Also most of the time there is reducer that you can remove without resorting to drilling.
Second - location matters in these discussions. Ground water temperature varies across the country and that impacts recovery a decent amount.
Third - Gas hot water heaters have much higher standby losses than electric. With solar pre heating, this is quite important. In the summer, you could preheat the water before the gas heater and then lose the heat in the gas part. Heat that you would not lose in an electric tank. Most gas hot water heaters lose heat up the chimney. They have gotten better but it is still a pretty big issue.
Fourth - If you have solar pre heating, then you presumably have a tank before the main tank. This adds to your hot water capacity. Obviously in the summer if you have 80 gallons heated to 150 degrees, you have more than 80 extra gallons. And even in the winter, you get some pre heating. Even during a solar eclipse for a week, the tank is presumably in conditioned space and would still be slightly pre heating the ground water. But this obviously depends on your situation (tank location and ground water temp)
A well designed solar pre heat situation will still take ground water from 55 (guessing) to 90-100 in the depth of winter. Does Auburn even have a depth of winter? Heating water from 90 to shower temp (105?) is like 3 times easier than 55 to 105.

But last, you are not likely to use much electricity with a heat pump hot water heater with solar pre heat. It might be 1000 kwh a year on the high side. So don't expect to use that much free electricity. And most of that will be in Dec/Jan if that matters for your net metering/loss of excess credits.
My water in winter is like 60. My solar water pre heat is like at most 75.

One thing I am going to look at is can I put in a 3 tank, electric, with exchange tubing, between my solar pre heat tank, and my propane water heater.
This would allow me to have preheated water for the electric. I also can keep the electric lets say 130. I can then heat the spa with exchange tubing. Today it does not work in winter, when I use my spa, since it only gets a lot of the time to 75, and the spa is 100.

Then when this electric tank hits the gas heater, if hot enough, no gas needed. I just need to see if I have room for another tank in my room.

Would this work?

I have a on demand 18 year old gas water heater that u̶s̶e̶s̶ used about $30 of gas per month.

Fixed it for you. We need to abandon this idiotic misuse of hydrocarbons. The price of gas in the US has been artificially low for decades. The party is over.

Gas prices spike 18 times higher as west threatens Putin with energy sanctions

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 10.37.08 AM.png

Guess we need to stop using natural gas for electricity then. I'm 100% solar for electricity and Ukranian.

As much as possible. Yes. Using gas to make electricity to drive a heat pump uses >50% LESS gas than using gas to heat directly. AND a heat pump water heater can pull double duty as a thermal battery using surplus renewables to heat water. That's a win-win-win.

Reactions: iPlug
As much as possible. Yes. Using gas to make electricity to drive a heat pump uses >50% LESS gas than using gas to heat directly. AND a heat pump water heater can pull double duty as a thermal battery using surplus renewables to heat water. That's a win-win-win.
Too bad electric rates for those on PGE make that insanely expensive. In other places all electric makes sense.

Too bad electric rates for those on PGE make that insanely expensive. In other places all electric makes sense.

How much do you pay per therm for gas? It's been rising steadily. It's likely to rise even faster as more LNG capacity ramps up. Off-peak is ~$0.25/kWh. Most HPWH have a COP of >3 so they can provide a kWh of heat for ~$0.08/kWh.

Looks like gas is ~$1.95/therm? That's ~$0.07/kWh. Taking into account the thermal efficiency of tankless gas of ~90% gas and heat pump are about the same price but that probably won't last as gas prices surge.

How much do you pay per therm for gas? It's been rising steadily. It's likely to rise even faster as more LNG capacity ramps up. Off-peak is ~$0.25/kWh. Most HPWH have a COP of >3 so they can provide a kWh of heat for ~$0.08/kWh.

Looks like gas is ~$1.95/therm? That's ~$0.07/kWh. Taking into account the thermal efficiency of tankless gas of ~90% gas and heat pump are about the same price but that probably won't last as gas prices surge.
Gas is up and PGE can exceed $.55 a kWh here and is going up another 10% soon. The lowest super off-peak rate at the lowest tier for me is $.26. and never lasts long. If I had $.08 I would pull every gas appliance from my home.

PG&E Gas is getting ridiculous. As much as $2.55/Therm. The bill below is for my central heat and hot water, and a little cooking. Both the furnaces and hot water heater are high efficiency condensing 96-97% UEF/AFUE

PG&E Gas 2022-02.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
My last gas bill dated 2/8 from National Grid averaged $1.13 a therm. Total usage was 346 therms for heat, HW and cooking. The way it is graduated anything over 50 therms is around $.96. Thankfully we are past our single and teens degree days and are moving into the 50's as prices are heading up. That is until pool season starts and the pool heater kicks on...

PG&E Gas is getting ridiculous. As much as $2.55/Therm. The bill below is for my central heat and hot water, and a little cooking. Both the furnaces and hot water heater are high efficiency condensing 96-97% UEF/AFUE

View attachment 778011
This is why I went 99% electric, which heat pumps, lots of solar, so I have a net total energy bill for the year zero. Even PGE will give me 300 bucks or so back.
Trying to see if I can hook an electric water heater between my solar hot water tank and propane water heater.

Reactions: nwdiver