Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge a Model S without a connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2014 CPO Model S serviced for the first time yesterday at the closest service center (>200 miles away). I just arrived home to find that Tesla inexplicably took my only connector from my trunk--maybe because they vaccuumed back there?? The closest Supercharger is more than 70 miles away and I have only 80 miles range left on my car--realistically less considering that it is winter. To make things worse, it's New Year's Eve. Which leads me to the question in the title: Is there any way to charge a Model S without that connector? Tesla is no help. They say they can't do anything until the Service Center reopens on Tuesday.

Find your closest level 2 charger or destination charger using PlugShare - and if you are really desperate check plugshare if anyone is willing to allow you to use their tesla home charger. It also would be great if you had your j1772 adapter - if you don’t then look for a tesla plug.

I just went to Tesla's destination charger website, and I count 6 or 7 in the Charleston area. I would call one, explain the situation, and see if they will allow you to come and charge. Verify that they do have a Tesla connector if you don't have your J1772 adapter.

I just went to Tesla's destination charger website, and I count 6 or 7 in the Charleston area. I would call one, explain the situation, and see if they will allow you to come and charge. Verify that they do have a Tesla connector if you don't have your J1772 adapter.
Thanks a lot. I didn't know that Tesla had a destination charger web site. There is one just a couple of miles from my house that looks like it has a two Tesla chargers.

I got my 2014 CPO Model S serviced for the first time yesterday at the closest service center (>200 miles away). I just arrived home to find that Tesla inexplicably took my only connector from my trunk--maybe because they vaccuumed back there?? The closest Supercharger is more than 70 miles away and I have only 80 miles range left on my car--realistically less considering that it is winter. To make things worse, it's New Year's Eve. Which leads me to the question in the title: Is there any way to charge a Model S without that connector? Tesla is no help. They say they can't do anything until the Service Center reopens on Tuesday.
I assume you checked the frunk...

. I didn't know that Tesla had a destination charger web site. There is one just a couple of miles from my house that looks like it has a two Tesla charger

My car shows both superchargers and some destination chargers on the nav screen after I touch the lightning bolt icon.

Best, though, is to use the plugshare app or website. It shows more Tesla charging locations than the Tesla website

From past experience with Destination Chargers and individuals from Plugshare , I would suggest that before expending your last 80 miles of range, calling ahead to see under what are the conditions they will provide you with a charge at an agreed on price.

My Destination Charging experience so far in the Florida Panhandle and not calling ahead:
1. Stopped by front Desk or the Rental Agency and asked. Reply. no charging available locally I would have to drive over to the next town 11 miles away where there was public charging. none of their customers have requested charging so far. As a side note I have seen Tesla Model S driving around in the neighborhood I guess they have been on the hunt for a charge.
2. Saw 2 HPWC in a nearby Hotel the pavement was painted red with a huge Tesla logos in white, parked in a regular parking vacant spot opposite the HPWCs and went in to ask at the front desk. Reply. the charging spots are reserved for their guests if any and if not occupied they are still reserved for any guest that they may or may not have now or the near future, I would have to rent a room there and become a guest to charge there.
3. Plugshare showed a HPWC across the road with a photo of a HPWC that was associated with a nearby restaurant drove over there but there was no need to ask at the restaurant as the HPWC was gone.
4. Plugshare listed an private individual and his phone number 3 blocks away who would be able to give an emergency charge so I called.. Reply how did you get this number? yes he has a charger but it was locked up in his garage, and oh by the way he asked me to remove him from Plugshare and he has to go to a meeting. Before going to his meeting he said that I should go to the nearby town and use the public chargers there.

Prior to my departure I did as suggested went to the nearby town in question at 3AM and found 2 HPWCs wired for 100A and 1 Clipper Creek wired for 50A and Range Charged for 3.5hr up to 339mi one of the HPWCs the price was good at $0.00.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
From past experience with Destination Chargers and individuals from Plugshare , I would suggest that before expending your last 80 miles of range, calling ahead to see under what are the conditions they will provide you with a charge at an agreed on price.

My Destination Charging experience so far in the Florida Panhandle and not calling ahead:
1. Stopped by front Desk or the Rental Agency and asked. Reply. no charging available locally I would have to drive over to the next town 11 miles away where there was public charging. none of their customers have requested charging so far. As a side note I have seen Tesla Model S driving around in the neighborhood I guess they have been on the hunt for a charge.
2. Saw 2 HPWC in a nearby Hotel the pavement was painted red with a huge Tesla logos in white, parked in a regular parking vacant spot opposite the HPWCs and went in to ask at the front desk. Reply. the charging spots are reserved for their guests if any and if not occupied they are still reserved for any guest that they may or may not have now or the near future, I would have to rent a room there and become a guest to charge there.
3. Plugshare showed a HPWC across the road with a photo of a HPWC that was associated with a nearby restaurant drove over there but there was no need to ask at the restaurant as the HPWC was gone.
4. Plugshare listed an private individual and his phone number 3 blocks away who would be able to give an emergency charge so I called.. Reply how did you get this number? yes he has a charger but it was locked up in his garage, and oh by the way he asked me to remove him from Plugshare and he has to go to a meeting. Before going to his meeting he said that I should go to the nearby town and use the public chargers there.

Prior to my departure I did as suggested went to the nearby town in question at 3AM and found 2 HPWCs wired for 100A and 1 Clipper Creek wired for 50A and Range Charged for 3.5hr up to 339mi one of the HPWCs the price was good at $0.00.

Wow sorry for such bad experiences. I only used a destination charger once. I called the hotel ahead and they said sure no problem go ahead and plug in.