Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge By Solar Not Showing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebooted model Y and it's working in that one now too. It was a cloudy day and Powerwall didn't quite make it to 100% before peak rates at 4pm. I got the notice in the app that "charge on solar paused for Powerwall priority". At 4pm, all solar is being exported to grid and Powerwall is powering the house. So far, things are working the way I'd hoped.

Rebooted model Y and it's working in that one now too. It was a cloudy day and Powerwall didn't quite make it to 100% before peak rates at 4pm. I got the notice in the app that "charge on solar paused for Powerwall priority". At 4pm, all solar is being exported to grid and Powerwall is powering the house. So far, things are working the way I'd hoped.
I need it to work having my Powerwalls charged first to the level I want, which for me would be 100%

I need it to work having my Powerwalls charged first to the level I want, which for me would be 100%
I don't see any explicit options to choose a priority so assume it's just based on Powerwall mode and however you have your tou rate structure set. I have sell price set to 3c less than buy to approximate the NBC losses.

Just on the phone with tesla PW support and she told me she has never heard let alone seen an option for the powerwall setting before car charge.
Does anyone else have the option, and how did you get to show?
Never had an option for powerwall priority in the Tesla app. Just saw the two messages indicating that either PW was prioritized, or CoS was paused for PW.

ChargeHQ (3rd party, for pay app) does have the ability to select a priority of either EV or ESS (PW) for excess solar. But it doesn’t have the option to have a any source charge limit daily followed by a solar excess limit.

I got it in the app first but I had to reset my Y computer for it to show up in the car. Once I did that, I had the CoS option both places for ~3hr. Now, however, if I disable CoS in the app, the menu disappears entirely until I reactivate it in the car. Am I just missing something? CoS settings (when visible in the app at all) now appear under the "Schedule" menu in the app.
PW: 23.12.10
Car: 2023.26.6
App: 4.23.6-1844

I have received two types of messages indicating powerwall priority…

I’m also using ChargeHQ now too, so unsure if that’s what is prioritizing the PW. But clearly that wouldn’t create either of the messages below.

For those people just getting the FW on their cars, it seems you need to wait ~24hrs after the install for it to appear in the app. It seems to do something with a “key” and then you confirm your home address and there appears to be a handshake with the powerwall.

Lastly, it appears the settings for CoS moved into the … menu. Only when I click that can I now set the CoS limits.

Hoping they add support for multiple cars soon!

View attachment 963428

View attachment 963429

View attachment 963425
View attachment 963426
what is your gateway version?

I think in my circumstances it will be possibly beneficial. Home a lot in day, have free power 9p-9a but no net metering which works with pw grid charging enabled. usual use is zero grid 9a-9p. The principle of not giving away free solar power in day is what i am looking for.
I just have my car plugged in, watch my PW charge level, and when 100%, just hit charge car in the app.

Is having a PowerWall+ or newer a requirement for this functionality. I am interested in this feature, but don't see it anywhere in the app or the cars. How does the system know a car is plugged in to the WallConnector?

M3 #1 at 2023.7.20
M3 #2 at 2023.12.11
PW (gateway) at 23.12.11

Is having a PowerWall+ or newer a requirement for this functionality. I am interested in this feature, but don't see it anywhere in the app or the cars. How does the system know a car is plugged in to the WallConnector?

M3 #1 at 2023.7.20
M3 #2 at 2023.12.11
PW (gateway) at 23.12.11
The cars need to be on at least 2023.26.x. Your gateway version is already good to go. Non "+" PW work too. Once the cars have the proper FW, it knows where it's charging. It knows it's associated with an account that is also associated with a PW. There is an explicit pairing process as well ... presumably for accounts with multiple gateways or multiple PW enabled locations.