Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cable... coming from an ampera.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why this is hard to work out... but i am getting confused.

I am switching to a model 3 from an ampera. Since it is a type 2 plug vehicle I thought i was fine to use my home charger as is with the Tesla.

But looking at this cable for example...

Portable Mode 2 16A J1772 EVSE with 16A CEE COMMANDO Plug

Which fits the Ampera.... the Tesla is not listed as compatible.

There are other type 2 cables that are listed for the Tesla... but don't have the Ampera in the list.

Are there 2 types of type 2 cable? This should have been easy to answer I thought... but getting stuck in google.

I am switching to a model 3 from an ampera. Since it is a type 2 plug vehicle I thought i was fine to use my home charger as is with the Tesla.

There are other type 2 cables that are listed for the Tesla... but don't have the Ampera in the list.

Are there 2 types of type 2 cable? This should have been easy to answer I thought... but getting stuck in google.
I believe that the J1772 plug is a Type 1 plug, whereas the connector on the Model 3 is a Mennekes Type 2.

Not sure what 'Mode 2' means, don't think it's the same as 'Type 2'

Thats not a charge cable but a mobile charge point. You'll get the Tesla version of that with the car

As pointed out, itsd also the wrong plug

I believe that the J1772 plug is a Type 1 plug, whereas the connector on the Model 3 is a Mennekes Type 2.

Not sure what 'Mode 2' means, don't think it's the same as 'Type 2'
Mode 2 means that it is a plug-in EVSE. Commando to Type 2 or Commando to J1772 will always be Mode 2. Tesla cars come with a Mobile Connector which does the same thing. If you have a Type-2 wall box, it will charge any European Tesla vehicle (exc. Roadster).

Ahhh - thanks guys. Mode 2 isn't type 2!!!!! Duh.

So.... am I in trouble with my home charger? It is a wired in charger in my garage and now I realise it will have a type 1 plug on the end!

Can I buy an adapter? Or is my home charger useless?

thumbnail_IMG_1266[1].jpg

Yes, that is the proper adapter for your situation.

However, if you won't have the Ampera, it would probably be better to change the wall box to Type 2 and sell the old one. The manufacturer may also have a conversion kit available to change the vehicle cable. With some skill you could source the cable and change it yourself independently.