TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge cable... coming from an ampera.

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by xdcthedoc, Sep 27, 2019.

1. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

I don't know why this is hard to work out... but i am getting confused.

I am switching to a model 3 from an ampera. Since it is a type 2 plug vehicle I thought i was fine to use my home charger as is with the Tesla.

But looking at this cable for example...

Portable Mode 2 16A J1772 EVSE with 16A CEE COMMANDO Plug

Which fits the Ampera.... the Tesla is not listed as compatible.

There are other type 2 cables that are listed for the Tesla... but don't have the Ampera in the list.

Are there 2 types of type 2 cable? This should have been easy to answer I thought... but getting stuck in google.

2. DamBuster

DamBuster Member

I believe that the J1772 plug is a Type 1 plug, whereas the connector on the Model 3 is a Mennekes Type 2.

Not sure what 'Mode 2' means, don't think it's the same as 'Type 2'

3. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

Thats not a charge cable but a mobile charge point. You'll get the Tesla version of that with the car

As pointed out, itsd also the wrong plug

4. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

Mode 2 means that it is a plug-in EVSE. Commando to Type 2 or Commando to J1772 will always be Mode 2. Tesla cars come with a Mobile Connector which does the same thing. If you have a Type-2 wall box, it will charge any European Tesla vehicle (exc. Roadster).

5. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

Ahhh - thanks guys. Mode 2 isn't type 2!!!!! Duh.

So.... am I in trouble with my home charger? It is a wired in charger in my garage and now I realise it will have a type 1 plug on the end!

Can I buy an adapter? Or is my home charger useless?

6. Keeper

Keeper Member

7. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

8. miimura

Yes, that is the proper adapter for your situation.

However, if you won't have the Ampera, it would probably be better to change the wall box to Type 2 and sell the old one. The manufacturer may also have a conversion kit available to change the vehicle cable. With some skill you could source the cable and change it yourself independently.

9. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

Is that because there is a disadvantage of some sort? or just to save the hassle of having to deal with an adaptor all the time?

10. miimura

The biggest detraction for using the adapter is the chance of it banging on the side of the car and damaging the paint. The actual charging function is the same.

11. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

I think Type 2 is becoming the new European standard hence it being fitted on the M3. If you can convert your current charger via the manufacturer I’d do that. If not maybe wait and see how the next few year pans before switching.

12. Fly.guy

Fly.guy Member

You could just change the plug on the end of your current charger cable...

13. miimura

• Like x 2
  14. ThrustSSC

ThrustSSC Member

You could do what I did - converted my Type 1 tethered charger to a Type 2 socket...

15. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member