Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cable temp over limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at home, I’m getting a warning that says charger temperature over limit. Charging interrupted.

Charging at work is fine.

I tried again, charges for a few minutes then stops. Same message. Pretty sure it is the wall connector or the cable that is faulty but how can I fix this? Can I just change the cable and not the whole wall connector somehow or are they attached.
Had the same issue a few weeks ago but when I decreased from 48 amps to 40amps the problem went away. Now back again even at lower amp of 35.

charging at work is fine no issues with different cable.
Any help would be appreciated!

at home, I’m getting a warning that says charger temperature over limit. Charging interrupted.

Charging at work is fine.

I tried again, charges for a few minutes then stops. Same message. Pretty sure it is the wall connector or the cable that is faulty but how can I fix this? Can I just change the cable and not the whole wall connector somehow or are they attached.
Had the same issue a few weeks ago but when I decreased from 48 amps to 40amps the problem went away. Now back again even at lower amp of 35.

charging at work is fine no issues with different cable.
Any help would be appreciated!

Can you feel where it is hot when the issue occurs?
It sounds as if a connection is lose, you may want to get an electrician check all the connections. I wouldn't be casual about this, it's the exact situation that starts fires.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Pretty sure it is the wall connector or the cable that is faulty but how can I fix this?
Can you feel where it is hot when the issue occurs?
It sounds as if a connection is lose, you may want to get an electrician check all the connections.
That’s the issue. It is not hot anywhere. No marks nothing.
This is a wall connector, right? If you're trying to feel for this on the outside, you're probably not going to find anything. This is probably where the wiring in the wall ties into the terminals on the inside of the wall connector. Have you opened up the case to check the inside of it where it is connected in? You pretty likely might find some melted insulation on those wires if they are heating up there. I think the newer wall connectors do have some kind of temperature sensor inside which is monitoring and sending that signal to the car somehow that gives that warning.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Yesterday, the "charger temperature over the limit" message appeared at my work charger and it would not charge any further. Now, I know it is a CAR problem rather than a tesla wall connector or electric connection problem. I have take it into Tesla and they ran the coolant test and everything passed. But, the car still wont charge unfortunately. I have the loaner and they are still working on it. I am hoping it is a battery issue so it will be covered under warranty. My regular warranty is expired. Curious if anyone is having charging issues like I described. It is a Dec 2016 model S 90D.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H