Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge current question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firstly, apologies if this is a daft question - I picked up my new M3P today, so very, very new to the Tesla world!

I've scheduled charging to start tomorrow morning at 0200 (cheap rate electricity). I'm puzzled though by the charge current setting, which won't allow me to set more than 16A. My charger is a Pod Point 7kW unit which, by my calculations, ought to be nearer 32A (240V * 32A is approx 7,000W).

Am I missing something simple here?

By the way, utterly blown away by the car. My pickup from Birmingham was faultless, as is the car as far as I can see.

Tim.

7KW is definitely 32A. I'm assuming you can make all these schedules without the car plugged in. There has been a bug with some of the tesla firmwares that causes the car to only pull 16A and you have to either go into the car and press the + button next to the 16A figure to increase it, or try stopping and starting charging again.
I guess the thing to do would be to give it a go, schedule it for 10 minutes time and see what the car is getting.

I'm puzzled though by the charge current setting, which won't allow me to set more than 16A.

I had this once, possibly several occasions. Wouldn't allow me to up the current from the default 16A until second charge at that location. If you are not aware, charging is location aware so a charge rate will be remembered at that location. Very handy.

Have you tried starting a charge and increasing it above 16A while it's charging. If I remember correctly mine did that at first. You can ramp it up to 32 after that.

If that doesn't work and you are anywhere near Kettering you could try it on my charger.

yeah mine also says 16A on the selectable display then when I start charging at 32, the car steadily ramps up to 32 within first 30 seconds then stays there.

the option to change the in-car charge amount then disappears for me - as my amps level control is on my external charging device.