Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit Issue (89% or 99%)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a new LR AWD model 3. When I try to set the charge limit from the phone or in the car, I can't never set the charge limit to 100% instead when I moved the charge bar to the end, it shows 99% being the maximum. Also, when I moved the bar to the next lower level, it only shows 89% instead of 90%. Does anyone experiencing the same issue with a new model 3? Is this related to battery being cold or is it related to the battery requires tuning?

I did charge it up to 89% daily and started driving for 10km everyday, but I am still not able to move the bar to 90%, but I can move to 91%, 92%, until 99% max. Is this normal? Do I need to drive further to see the change?

I did charge it up to 89% daily and started driving for 10km everyday, but I am still not able to move the bar to 90%, but I can move to 91%, 92%, until 99% max. Is this normal? Do I need to drive further to see the change?

"10km" is not enough to warm the battery if its cold. Note "cold" for a battery in these cars can happen even when its mid 50s where your car is.

Okay. Will take it for a long drive to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

If you are trying to warm the battery, and have home charging, you can also plug it in and turn on the heating with the app (HVAC heating, there is no control for battery heating in the app).

With that being said, you are doing the same thing most new owners do, and focusing heavily on the battery. My actual advice to you would be to set it to 90%, plug it in and just drive and enjoy it (as much as you can, in this covid 19 world we currently are in) for at least a month before you start worrying about what the battery gauge says or doesnt say.

I doubt you are going to take this advice, but it would be much more relaxing for you to figure out all the ins and outs of the car, and understand more what the meters mean and dont mean.

That's a good idea to see if that makes a difference. I am wondering if this issue ("normal behavior") of the charge limit gauge not able to set to a precise limit (eg. 90% or 100%) is happening to other new owners as well.

That's a good idea to see if that makes a difference. I am wondering if this issue ("normal behavior") of the charge limit gauge not able to set to a precise limit (eg. 90% or 100%) is happening to other new owners as well.
I've never had an issue - always had the ability for 90% or 100%. Granted, in south Florida the car is never exposed to really cold temps so not sure if that is relevant.

I just got a new LR AWD model 3. When I try to set the charge limit from the phone or in the car, I can't never set the charge limit to 100% instead when I moved the charge bar to the end, it shows 99% being the maximum. Also, when I moved the bar to the next lower level, it only shows 89% instead of 90%. Does anyone experiencing the same issue with a new model 3? Is this related to battery being cold or is it related to the battery requires tuning?

Same here, gets to 89% and stops, though it's set for 90%. I got mine two weeks ago.Didn't think much about it to be honest.

Oh I get that. It’s weird but it fixes itself and goes back to normal.

It's actually getting set to the 90% but due to it being to cold it won't be fully Useable. If it were to get warm outside and battery got warm enough it would then show the 90 on the screen. It's usable battery you are seeing. For example look at my picture. It was set to 90 originally. It charged up but only 89% usable due to being cold. It's at 88 now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-082200_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-082200_Chrome.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 189