Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Model 3 at 48 amps on 1st Gen HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen much posted about Model 3 and 1st Gen HPWC. From the installation manual, there is no dip switch setting for a 60 amp breaker / 48 amp charge rate. If the wall connector were installed on an 80 amp circuit and set to 64 amp charge rate through the dip switches, would the 3 pull it's full 48 amps? Seems like a dumb question now that I ask it but wanted to be sure.

Screenshot_20191020-173209.png

Haven't seen much posted about Model 3 and 1st Gen HPWC. From the installation manual, there is no dip switch setting for a 60 amp breaker / 48 amp charge rate. If the wall connector were installed on an 80 amp circuit and set to 64 amp charge rate through the dip switches, would the 3 pull it's full 48 amps? Seems like a dumb question now that I ask it but wanted to be sure.

View attachment 468298
If you really have a 1st gen HPWC, then the dip switch setting you posted are wrong. I believe those are for a Gen 2 HPWC. Attached is a HPWC Gen 1 manual:

Attachments

• hpwc_install_guide_rev_3.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 218
You're right! I first had the Gen-1 (V1) HPWCs a long time ago and have switched to Gen-2. I forgot they updated the Gen-1 to V2.

Which begs the question, how do you tell the Gen 1 v1 vs Gen 1 v2? The Gen 2 is clearly different mounting system, rotary dial, built-in dock. Are there obvious physical differences in the Gen1's, since they have totally different DIP switch settings?

EDIT: Sorry, might be same DIP switch settings, one manual expresses in breaker size e.g. 40 amp, while the other is as supplied to vehicle e.g 32 amp or 80% of breaker size...

Also note that different Teslas have different maximum Level 2 charge rates. For the Model 3, it varies by battery size; the SR, SR+, and (now-discontinued) MR charge at a maximum of 32A, whereas Model 3s with the LR batteries can charge at up to 48A. I've seen posts from owners who didn't understand this fact and paid extra for massive home charging capacity only to be disappointed by much lower home charging rates. That said, IMHO, even 32A charging is more than adequate for most people. With a Model 3 of any battery capacity, that'll regenerate roughly 30 miles of range in an hour of charging, so an overnight (~10-hour) charge session will more-or-less completely charge a Model 3 battery. Even if you pull in with low charge and have less time than this (say, arriving home late after a long road trip), you'll get enough charge in ~5 hours to handle the next day's driving. Over-32A charging is most likely to be important for bigger, less energy-efficient vehicles (like the Model X or upcoming Tesla pickup truck, Rivian trucks, etc.) or if you have two or more EVs that share a single EVSE.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H