TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charge Model 3 at 48 amps on 1st Gen HPWC?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by destructure00, Oct 20, 2019.

1. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

Haven't seen much posted about Model 3 and 1st Gen HPWC. From the installation manual, there is no dip switch setting for a 60 amp breaker / 48 amp charge rate. If the wall connector were installed on an 80 amp circuit and set to 64 amp charge rate through the dip switches, would the 3 pull it's full 48 amps? Seems like a dumb question now that I ask it but wanted to be sure.

Screenshot_20191020-173209.png

2. paulk

paulk Member

You set the wall connector to whatever the breaker is. The car will pull as much power as it can, in this case 48 amps.

3. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-LR M3AWD

If you really have a 1st gen HPWC, then the dip switch setting you posted are wrong. I believe those are for a Gen 2 HPWC. Attached is a HPWC Gen 1 manual:

Attached Files:

4. GHammer

GHammer What a long strange trip its been.

There are actually two versions of the Gen 1 connector. You posted the original, OP posted the V2. The Gen2 has a rotary switch, not DIP.

5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-LR M3AWD

You're right! I first had the Gen-1 (V1) HPWCs a long time ago and have switched to Gen-2. I forgot they updated the Gen-1 to V2.

• Like x 1
  6. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

Oh jeez, so there's a Gen 1 v1 and a Gen 1 v2 and a Gen 2? Lol. Either way my question is answered, thanks all!

7. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Which begs the question, how do you tell the Gen 1 v1 vs Gen 1 v2? The Gen 2 is clearly different mounting system, rotary dial, built-in dock. Are there obvious physical differences in the Gen1's, since they have totally different DIP switch settings?

EDIT: Sorry, might be same DIP switch settings, one manual expresses in breaker size e.g. 40 amp, while the other is as supplied to vehicle e.g 32 amp or 80% of breaker size...

8. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

Also note that different Teslas have different maximum Level 2 charge rates. For the Model 3, it varies by battery size; the SR, SR+, and (now-discontinued) MR charge at a maximum of 32A, whereas Model 3s with the LR batteries can charge at up to 48A. I've seen posts from owners who didn't understand this fact and paid extra for massive home charging capacity only to be disappointed by much lower home charging rates. That said, IMHO, even 32A charging is more than adequate for most people. With a Model 3 of any battery capacity, that'll regenerate roughly 30 miles of range in an hour of charging, so an overnight (~10-hour) charge session will more-or-less completely charge a Model 3 battery. Even if you pull in with low charge and have less time than this (say, arriving home late after a long road trip), you'll get enough charge in ~5 hours to handle the next day's driving. Over-32A charging is most likely to be important for bigger, less energy-efficient vehicles (like the Model X or upcoming Tesla pickup truck, Rivian trucks, etc.) or if you have two or more EVs that share a single EVSE.

• Helpful x 1