Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port automatically opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! First post here!

A couple times this week, when I parked at home and got out the car, my charging port opened automatically. I didn't press anything in the car or app, and I didn't interact with the charging port or wall connector. The other times I parked this week, it didn't open.

I don't see anything in the manual about this and I haven't seen this happen in the 4 months I've owned the car, so I'm assuming it's not normal. I've scheduled service but I'm worried they won't know what to do about it.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them. If so, what was the cause?

Thanks!

same thing started happening to my model s as well. Only at home though - and the charge tab opens up on screen as well.
A fellow Seattleite! It's weird, eh? It started for me just at home, and then randomly happens when out and about, but the lack of consistency and my inability to reproduce it means there's no point scheduling a service visit.

Out of interest, what software version are you on?

Upvote 0
Its weird for sure! I am thinking it has something to do with the home charger signaling something ? I am on software version 2023.12.1.1
I'm on 2022.45.15 (FSD software). I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems unlikely it's the home charger, as I've had this happen nowhere near my house, at a mall. It appears the charge port thinks its receiving some sort of signal, but from where I cannot say...

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Upvote 0
#18 had it replaced and it kept happening.
I found this thread after just searching for this issue, as I too am experiencing the port randomly opening which just started yesterday here in PA.
It’s on my Model S 2016 90D, which I’ve had for some time now and it’s never done this even when parked right next to the wall charger I bought from Tesla. When it started yesterday, I noticed the mobile app kept showing my charge port opened with the electric bolt and slider for charging, I tapped the electric bolt and the port would close only to reopen again after a few seconds, rinse repeat like 15 times.
My Model S usually sits in the garage but last evening I had it parked in the driveway next to my wife’s 2023 MYP that we just picked up on 6/14/23. The odd thing is that the MY is not doing this it is only my model S.

Strange.

Upvote 0
I found this thread after just searching for this issue, as I too am experiencing the port randomly opening which just started yesterday here in PA.
It’s on my Model S 2016 90D, which I’ve had for some time now and it’s never done this even when parked right next to the wall charger I bought from Tesla. When it started yesterday, I noticed the mobile app kept showing my charge port opened with the electric bolt and slider for charging, I tapped the electric bolt and the port would close only to reopen again after a few seconds, rinse repeat like 15 times.
My Model S usually sits in the garage but last evening I had it parked in the driveway next to my wife’s 2023 MYP that we just picked up on 6/14/23. The odd thing is that the MY is not doing this it is only my model S.

Strange.
Mine stopped doing it after a while, or at least it hasn't happened in the places it used to, recently. Who even knows...

Upvote 0
Just got my model S yesterday and this started happening right away. Happened when it was parked on the street (opened when my wife walked by it and then closed when she walked by it again). She had her other car fob and phone (not yet setup for the S) on her. Then it happened in the garage this morning when I walked by the passenger side of the car. Had my phone and other car fob (different 3rd car) in my pocket. Hope this gets resolved via software patch soon. Don’t want it opening on a rainy day and having the charge port deluged.

Upvote 0
Just got my model S yesterday and this started happening right away. Happened when it was parked on the street (opened when my wife walked by it and then closed when she walked by it again). She had her other car fob and phone (not yet setup for the S) on her. Then it happened in the garage this morning when I walked by the passenger side of the car. Had my phone and other car fob (different 3rd car) in my pocket. Hope this gets resolved via software patch soon. Don’t want it opening on a rainy day and having the charge port deluged.
Very odd. fyi it won’t happen if you’re not at the car, since it’s locked. Give it time. Mine did resolve by itself it seems.

Upvote 0
Very odd. fyi it won’t happen if you’re not at the car, since it’s locked. Give it time. Mine did resolve by itself it seems.
Hasn’t happened in the last 24 hours that I know. But strangely, the first time it happened was when my wife walked by the model S on the street and I was 100 feet away with my phone (so I believe the car was locked. Fingers crossed it just resolves!

Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0