TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charge port door not opening with UMC handle

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Drmad23, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Drmad23

Drmad23 Member

Hi guys
    Title pretty much says it all
    I don't why but my charge port door won't open anymore when I press the button on my umc handle.
    Any thoughts? Didn't find similar threads so bare with me if its been discussed before :S

I know I should probably call Tesla but I'm kind of hoping there's an easy solution. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks ! :)

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Try it from the charging app in the car and see if it works. Also can try from the app. I've heard some people have had better luck if the umc handle is near the rear window when you press. Don't try to pry the door open though.

Could be a problem with the latch which is a quick SvC fix.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

It could be something as simple as your car is locked or asleep.

To make sure yours is not locked nor asleep, open a car's door then push on the charger cable button.

4. Drmad23

Drmad23 Member

Thanks for replying
    Actually I can easily open my charging port using the car or the app. It just won't work with the handle anymore. So when I get home I need to open it from the car instead of using the umc handle

5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

The car and the app do it direct so to narrow the problem hold down the trunk button on the fob since it sends the signal in the same way as the handle to the UMC. That will narrow the problem since if that works to open it, then the likely problem is with your UMC. If that does not work, then the car likely has a problem receiving the signal. My bet is with the UMC being the problem.

6. Drmad23

Drmad23 Member

It works with the fob so it's probably the umc
    :(((
    Guess I'm gonna have to call Tesla

7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Better the UMC than the vehicle since there's no making an appointment for your car to go in for service. Tesla will give you a new one and you give the old one back. Problem solved.

8. thimel

thimel Member

I don't think the fob opens the charge port door by the same mechanism as the UMC.
    To see if it is the UMC or the car, try another UMC or go to a supercharger and try it there.

9. Drmad23

Drmad23 Member

That's actually a good idea
    I'll keep you posted guys
    Thank for your help

10. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

The same RF signal is sent to the car by the fob and the UMC, when the UMC is not connected. When the UMC is connected, 1772 signaling on the pilot line is what tells the car to stop charging and release the charging connector.

No need. It's the UMC. But if you want to experiment, you will find that another UMC, HPWC, or Supercharger will open it, since your fob does.