Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S charge port doesn't open with button on wall/mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
boom.

1694615351890.png

RTM, because I had Tesla lie and gaslight me over XM favorites for over a year until I sued and won.
The manual is the truth. I cited it in my argument.

It should definitely open. I brought my MXP in to service for this. They verified the problem, rebooted the car, and it started working again. So for me it's a software issue. It happens every few months. I reboot (have to do the full reboot by changing wheel size back and forth) and it works again. Try that first and if that doesn't fix it, take it in for service.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
Is it normal for the charge port to NOT open by pressing the button on the charge handle from either the wall or mobile charger?

Pressing the button opens the charge port on my old model 3 and MY. Tesla is telling me this is normal.
For some reason pressing the charger button doesn't open my charge port at work. It's a Gen 1 charger so maybe it's just getting old. But everywhere else like superchargers, or my Gen 2 mobile charger at home, I can open the charge port by simply pressing the button on the charger. Not sure about the newer models but if you press the charge port with your finger it should also open if the car's unlocked.

I've done a reboot and a full factory reset. The doors are unlocked and I have both my key fob and phone as a key. The door still doesn't open.

This works perfectly normal on my MY. Ugh, I'll try asking them again. I'm sure they're sick of me and they make me feel like a second class citizen because I bought the MSP used and not brand new. They remind me about this everytime I ask anything despite it still being under factory warranty.

Mine doesn’t work with a button press on either our Gen2 or Gen3 wall connector at home.

Haven’t supercharged in a good long while so not sure if it does there.

I just press on the door and, as long as it doesn’t get stuck, I’m ok. That’s about a 50-50 rate. Then I have to dig it out with a fingernail.

Mine doesn’t work with a button press on either our Gen2 or Gen3 wall connector at home.

Haven’t supercharged in a good long while so not sure if it does there.

I just press on the door and, as long as it doesn’t get stuck, I’m ok. That’s about a 50-50 rate. Then I have to dig it out with a fingernail.
If it's still under waranty sounds like a scheduled service is needed.

For some reason pressing the charger button doesn't open my charge port at work. It's a Gen 1 charger so maybe it's just getting old. But everywhere else like superchargers, or my Gen 2 mobile charger at home, I can open the charge port by simply pressing the button on the charger. Not sure about the newer models but if you press the charge port with your finger it should also open if the car's unlocked.
It works the same on the newer models. If you have a key fob you can also long press the trunk button and it will open.
I've done a reboot and a full factory reset. The doors are unlocked and I have both my key fob and phone as a key. The door still doesn't open.

This works perfectly normal on my MY. Ugh, I'll try asking them again. I'm sure they're sick of me and they make me feel like a second class citizen because I bought the MSP used and not brand new. They remind me about this everytime I ask anything despite it still being under factory warranty.
It's possible the antenna for it is unplugged or the receiver is broken. Don't take no for an answer. Point it out in the manual if they balk. It should absolutely work and it doesn't matter if you were the 50th owner of the car. It's under warranty, it's broken, and you didn't break it. Make them fix it.

Reactions: itch808 and byeLT4
It works the same on the newer models. If you have a key fob you can also long press the trunk button and it will open.

It's possible the antenna for it is unplugged or the receiver is broken. Don't take no for an answer. Point it out in the manual if they balk. It should absolutely work and it doesn't matter if you were the 50th owner of the car. It's under warranty, it's broken, and you didn't break it. Make them fix it.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm doing a little road trip this weekend so I'll find it if superchargers don't open them as well which I'm sure is the case.

Reactions: strider
Mine stopped opening with the button for a few months, with both the mobile charger and super chargers. It seems after some firmware upgrades that it started working again. Now it's pretty reliable that it opens with the button on the charge handle. When it doesn't open, I just press in the charge door and it opens.

Found this thread after this issue annoyed the crap out of me on my new S (delivered September 2023). Took it into service 3 times with varying levels of attention to the issue (1st one they said they can’t replicate. 2nd one they replace the charge port door). On the 3rd visit, the got engineering to look into the issue and Cited that this is a known issue and expected to be fixed in 2023.38 or 2023.44 firmware update.