Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charge port door opening and closing numerous times on its own with service warning message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After nearly 18 months and 15,000 miles I have my first issue with my Model 3. A day ago after driving in the cold rain and then parking in my garage the charge port started opening and closing numerous times on its own. I also had a warning message that the charge port door may not work by pushing on it and to schedule a service appointment.
A second problem is that any time I opened the driver's door while parked in the garage the charge port opened by itself and wouldn't stay closed until the car locked and went back to sleep. If I closed the port from the phone app it would just reopen by itself.

Just now I went in the garage and opened the driver's door and the charge port didn't open on its own - problem solved? No longer any warning message either. Maybe water problem in the charge port door or surrounding cabling/electronics?

Update, this morning odd charge port behavior is back. Open any car door while parked and charge port opens and charging menu comes up on the screen. Sit in driver's seat and charge port closes. Anyone have an idea what is happening?

Sounds faulty. Take it to service.

If I were to guess, it happens when you open a door because that's when the car unlocks, thus allowing whatever problem that's telling it to constantly open to actually do so.

Get a video of the behaviour if you can for the service folk, just in case it starts working correctly again.

Sounds faulty. Take it to service.

If I were to guess, it happens when you open a door because that's when the car unlocks, thus allowing whatever problem that's telling it to constantly open to actually do so.

Get a video of the behaviour if you can for the service folk, just in case it starts working correctly again.
Yeah, I did get a short video of when it went completely nuts and just kept opening and closing the port numerous times on its own but that particular evil possession behavior is now gone.