Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port ECU failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2012 Volt I had to change the charge port after 8 years of ownership. One day I plugged in my home 120V 12Amp EVSE and heard a pop sound. The cable burst just under j1772 handle and I smelled faint smoke. Turned out a slug had crawled in to the head of the j1772 handle and caused a short when I plugged in. I did not have covers for my j1772 (so cover your handle heads). The slug also sorted out something in the volts charge port.

Volt charge port replacement $800 but it was still under 10 warranty for high voltage systems.

New 120V EVSE $120

A fellow in San Diego would try to fix my original EVSE for around $100. The unit self test works so handle and cable just need replacing g. Might do it myself one day for fun or sell parts on e-bay.

• Funny
Reactions: 101dals
OMG same thing for me!!! No charger at all works anymore (except superchargers). Had an appointment, and said they need to replace the ECU Port!! No part is available, and have to wait! They didn't even offer me supercharging credits which is absurd. They wanted me to keep my car there for weeks probably and offer uber credits. Why not offer supercharging as a courtesy, car still works, but have to drive long distance just to supercharge...

OMG same thing for me!!! No charger at all works anymore (except superchargers). Had an appointment, and said they need to replace the ECU Port!! No part is available, and have to wait! They didn't even offer me supercharging credits which is absurd. They wanted me to keep my car there for weeks probably and offer uber credits. Why not offer supercharging as a courtesy, car still works, but have to drive long distance just to supercharge...

I didn't do a search, but IIRC there have been a few reports of charge port failures. I guess I'm a "fanboy" because I think random failures of any part is...normal. Replacement timing is dependent on warehouse supply, which is always tricky with new tech. No one knows the failure rate of all the myriad parts. (...there I go again, defending Tesla!...)

Similar but different situation here. 2021 Model Y. 38k miles

Can still charge at home on 240, but supercharging doesn't work. At first it would charge for around 1 min and then cut out. If you try again it wouldn't charge at all. If I wait several mins between attempts I might get another min of charging on a supercharger. Fun ride home, luckily i only need a few mins of juice.

New charge port ECU on order and have a loaner Model S.

Had failed charge port ECU on UK 2021 M3 LR after 6 months. Replaced under warranty but required stay in service centre. Has been fine in 12 months since.

Stopped charging with CCS or type 2 just after using Engie/Geniepoint CCS charge point. Could've been a coincidence but I suspect Geniepoint as their charge points are so unreliable. This was before we had a home charge point installed when using slow MCU Tesla charger at home.