Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Issue - Not Charging Fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK this is day 3 of having my MY P. I just went to plug it in to charge and am getting an error:

The port opens and I insert the charger and can hear clicking in the charge port. The Tesla symbol is flashing yellow. Then
the charge port door closes and opens. After that it goes red.

I also get a msg on my phone "Limited Charging - Charge Cable may not be plugged securely into vehicle".

It's plugged in fine.

I did this 3 times. The second time it began to charge but only at 6 amps out of 32. I have a 14-50 connection.

I see no debris in the charge port or charger.

Any idea here? This is really annoying!

IMG_5033.jpg

Last edited:
On a new car there's significant friction between the cable "head" and the car's charge port. You really have to push it pretty hard, while correctly aligned, to get it to seat completely. IF you don't do it fast enough, the locking mechanism will try to lock on a halfway entered head and it will not charge well. At that point, you cannot push further, the lock is there.
Try aligning first and then pushing it with both hands within a second or so. Not "harsh" but firmly.

If you are using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector to charge your Model Y make sure that the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter is fully inserted into the Mobile Connector chassis.

Life Pro Tesla Tip: Don't let the Tesla Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics brick) hang supported by the 14-50 plug adapter. The receptacle and power plug are not designed to support the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis or the charging cord. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer ($35) on the Tesla store web site; you can find similar kits on Amazon or make your own support for the Mobile Connector chassis. See photos #2, #3: Cable Organizer

On a new car there's significant friction between the cable "head" and the car's charge port. You really have to push it pretty hard, while correctly aligned, to get it to seat completely. IF you don't do it fast enough, the locking mechanism will try to lock on a halfway entered head and it will not charge well. At that point, you cannot push further, the lock is there.
Try aligning first and then pushing it with both hands within a second or so. Not "harsh" but firmly.
You sir, are THE MAN!

I pushed it in with a lot more force and it immediately started charging normally. Tried it the second time and worked!

THANKS! Saved me a lot of pain of getting a service appt!

If you're ever in the Phoenix area I owe you a beer!

Open a service request using the Tesla app on your phone. Briefly describe the issue with the Mobile Connector. Tesla's Mobile Service in your area can come to your location, test the Mobile Connnector and if necessary provide you with a replacement Mobile Connector. Until then use the Tesla J1772 adapter to charge at a local Level 2 charging location, else you can use a Supercharger.

On a new car there's significant friction between the cable "head" and the car's charge port. You really have to push it pretty hard, while correctly aligned, to get it to seat completely.
@Marcust99 It's this. In the bottom of the charging handle, you'll see a little rectangular cutout notch. When you plug in, there is a small pin in the bottom of the car's charging port that is supposed to go up and push into that opening to lock the charging handle in place. So what is happening is that it's not quite going in far enough or lining up right for the pin to get into that notch. It's catching on the handle or the edge and not getting in there.

So as @GtiMart was mentioning, frequently on the very new cars, it's just a tight fit, and when you get it lined up and started to plug in, you may need to finish it off with a pretty hard shove. Or, it may actually need a little adjustment of the port or something to get that pin lined up in the right place. For me, since I'm always looking for a chance to Dremmel something, I might grind that front edge of the notch by just a bit, like a millimeter to give it enough room for the locking pin to fit in.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
@Marcust99 It's this. In the bottom of the charging handle, you'll see a little rectangular cutout notch. When you plug in, there is a small pin in the bottom of the car's charging port that is supposed to go up and push into that opening to lock the charging handle in place. So what is happening is that it's not quite going in far enough or lining up right for the pin to get into that notch. It's catching on the handle or the edge and not getting in there.

So as @GtiMart was mentioning, frequently on the very new cars, it's just a tight fit, and when you get it lined up and started to plug in, you may need to finish it off with a pretty hard shove. Or, it may actually need a little adjustment of the port or something to get that pin lined up in the right place. For me, since I'm always looking for a chance to Dremmel something, I might grind that front edge of the notch by just a bit, like a millimeter to give it enough room for the locking pin to fit in.
Thanks man

That didnt seem possible to me. But it makes total sense. I was thinking before imagining something MAJOR wrong with the car, not something like this.....

This solved it for me. There’s a good deal of force needed to push the head in.

Reactions: GtiMart
+1
I had this issue in my M3P awhile back after I lost one of the charge pin caps during a SC session. Got home and couldn't get the connector to seat correctly at first. I had to use more force than usual.
I had this exact same issue....I couldn’t get it to seat all the way. Applied more force and it seated. Not sure what was keeping it from plugging in all the way but it only happened once and has been fine since. Any other issues with yours?

I had this exact same issue....I couldn’t get it to seat all the way. Applied more force and it seated. Not sure what was keeping it from plugging in all the way but it only happened once and has been fine since. Any other issues with yours?

Sorry, missed the notification for your question! I've had multiple SC sessions and daily charging sessions since. No issues whatsoever.