Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port latch fault - AC charging reduced DC Fast Charging / Supercharging may be unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charge port latch fault - AC charging reduced
DC Fast Charging / Supercharging may be unavailable

I've had this warning pop-up a couple of times in the last couple of weeks although I've not seen any changes related to charging.

I've booked in for a service next week but wondered if anyone has already seen the same issue and if so what the fix was?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-09 105932.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-09 105932.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 239
It's not unknown for the latch to freeze up. It's very common with Type 1 connectors, with their exposed latch, but also happens with Type 2 connectors, happened to me twice with my i3. Nuisance when it happens with the connector latched in place and you want to go somewhere. I resorted to using a hot air gun to get the connector out of the i3 once.

These latches are all very similar, usually driven by a small motor. The power of the latch motor may not be enough to shift it if water has found its way in there and frozen. It's also possible that this is just a false error message, generated by the latch sensor thinking that it hasn't moved when in reality it has.

Don't be tempted to squirt any sort of lubricant into the connector, though. I spent an interesting afternoon stripping and cleaning a Leaf charge connector where the owner had thought that spraying it with contact cleaner was a good idea. All that does is cause a build up of dirt that sticks to the connector, causing rapid wear and a poor connection.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Jim
Charge port latch fault - AC charging reduced
DC Fast Charging / Supercharging may be unavailable

I've had this warning pop-up a couple of times in the last couple of weeks although I've not seen any changes related to charging.

I've booked in for a service next week but wondered if anyone has already seen the same issue and if so what the fix was?

Thanks!
Check out the video below. Ultimately, it was a service centre visit I'm afraid. Faulty Hardware.