Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port sensor fault and part availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue. My question is this: What is the harm in just leaving it? It is a little inconvenient, but maybe it isn't worth replacing if it isn't doing any further damage.
It might get bad enough that it wont let you sitck a charge cable in there at all
Thanks! But for me, they are quoting $469 to replace the charge port door assembly. Just the part cost $385.
That sounds like the price for the whole charge port not just the door. Mine broke again while i had it in the body shop getting painted, the shop is gonna pay to get it fixed and i have my estimate for at the upcoming tesla appointment and its the same price as before $85 for the door nd $135 for the labor.
check the part number on the estimate.
Looking at mine its a different part number than the one i posted above its now ASSY, DOOR MCD SAE (1038549-00-B). But the price is the same so whatever lol

It might get bad enough that it wont let you sitck a charge cable in there at all

That sounds like the price for the whole charge port not just the door. Mine broke again while i had it in the body shop getting painted, the shop is gonna pay to get it fixed and i have my estimate for at the upcoming tesla appointment and its the same price as before $85 for the door nd $135 for the labor.
Looking at mine its a different part number than the one i posted above its now ASSY, DOOR MCD SAE (1038549-00-B). But the price is the same so whatever lol

Looking at mine its a different part number than the one i posted above its now ASSY, DOOR MCD SAE (1038549-00-B). But the price is the same so whatever
Oh wow, you are right they are STILL quoting the wrong part. I am going to have them update it. I'll get back to you all once I have good information.

I'm having this done Tuesday by Mobile Service. Part as HowardHsu stated is the same I'm getting. Part is $85, quoting $210 install, though that is on my 2016 Model X. Same part as MS. NOW, that being said, I got the door sensor error to go away. I thought with the nice weather, it would be good to clean my charge port and the contacts (I do it about 3x/year, runs cooler in the summer, and just why not). After cleaning it, I also used some mild lubricating spray and gently lubricated the little round button, as well as the charge port door hinge, and around anything that looked like it moved. The error was gone immediately, and the door opens and closes again by pressing the charge port door. Prior to this, it would only open via key fob press. It would not open via screen, pressing door or charge handle button. Now it opens via all options. I'm going to be canceling that part of the Tuesday Appointment.

Reactions: springdaisy82
Labor for mine was $210 :-(

Either way, will be posting a video, took a look inside my flaky charge port door, it was loaded with water, even after sitting for 12 hrs before I filmed, with the rubber gasket off so it would get some air, it was still wet inside. It's dry now and bench testing with proper functions, so it's now fully usable. Considering sealing it better, and if so, putting some wd-40 inside, or even possibly using acrylic or another material as potting, then it's a working functional door again.

I have to thank everyone on this thread and especially your video. I just recently purchased a used 17 MS and didn't really have any issues off the dealer lot. I put an extra 2k for the mcu2 upgrade which I enjoy. But afterwards I have started picking up on 2 issues. 1 was this, the charger port door sensor had a fault or error. Originally I saw a yt video where someone used wd40 on their mx port door and got it working. I did try that but failed. I wanted to get the part and install it myself but, had a hard time doing so. So I had to schedule sc to come out. 250 dollars is not expensive but I just don't like the fact having to spend money where I could've done it myself. Anyways I saw this video and I bought and electronics cleaner spray with a straw thinking this might work better. I saw the electrical parts are on the bottom of the hinge. As a last effort before mobile service comes out next week. I sprayed the cleaner inside of the bottom hinge all around. I don't know how but it worked like others have done it. I also used a air spray can to spray the area to make it dry quicker as well. But anyways I can cancel my appointment. I will have my fingers crossed. Maybe if it happens again I'll just take it apart and let it sit and dry and test it. If it works ill do a complete seal to prevent water getting in. Thanks again!

I have to thank everyone on this thread and especially your video. I just recently purchased a used 17 MS and didn't really have any issues off the dealer lot. I put an extra 2k for the mcu2 upgrade which I enjoy. But afterwards I have started picking up on 2 issues. 1 was this, the charger port door sensor had a fault or error. Originally I saw a yt video where someone used wd40 on their mx port door and got it working. I did try that but failed. I wanted to get the part and install it myself but, had a hard time doing so. So I had to schedule sc to come out. 250 dollars is not expensive but I just don't like the fact having to spend money where I could've done it myself. Anyways I saw this video and I bought and electronics cleaner spray with a straw thinking this might work better. I saw the electrical parts are on the bottom of the hinge. As a last effort before mobile service comes out next week. I sprayed the cleaner inside of the bottom hinge all around. I don't know how but it worked like others have done it. I also used a air spray can to spray the area to make it dry quicker as well. But anyways I can cancel my appointment. I will have my fingers crossed. Maybe if it happens again I'll just take it apart and let it sit and dry and test it. If it works ill do a complete seal to prevent water getting in. Thanks again!
Glad I could help. The door in the video is currently working again. Since it was already replaced, I do not have it in the vehicle, just bench test. I did not POT the electronics inside yet, but since this is considered a non-repairable, disposable part (tossed in trash after it is replaced by tesla), Potting of the electronics inside should have definately been done at factory. I see cheap, sub-$5, electronics I get off TEMU sealed better for water intrusion. What would have been 5 cents worth of potting acrylic or silicone would have likely made this part last the life of the vehicle.

Glad I could help. The door in the video is currently working again. Since it was already replaced, I do not have it in the vehicle, just bench test. I did not POT the electronics inside yet, but since this is considered a non-repairable, disposable part (tossed in trash after it is replaced by tesla), Potting of the electronics inside should have definately been done at factory. I see cheap, sub-$5, electronics I get off TEMU sealed better for water intrusion. What would have been 5 cents worth of potting acrylic or silicone would have likely made this part last the life of the vehicle.
Unfortunately tesla engineers couldn't water seal an area that is prone to getting wet. It's a shame that I think corporation makes things break easily to make more money. Especially since the parts are mostly monopolized. And an ez fix is a cheap fix which will not net them a decent profit. Not to bash on tesla cause i still love them. It's just the mind of corporation isn't in the best interest of consumers sometimes.

But regardless I'm just glad it can be an easy fix sort of. Taking the tail light to get the port door off was a hassle for me since im pretty busy recently. I tried to look for the part on ebay where it's probably readily available. But the dam thing cost just as much as having tesla sc come out. The 2nd issue I had that probably would've cost me a lot more then the materials I got was the axle nut. It was giving off a single click accelerating or decelerating that got to me. I also researched that and found a fix. I guess whatever goes wrong I will look into it and see if there is a fix for it. And dam the first thing i replaced on the car was the filters for the air both cabin and hepa. Those were expensive! But the car did start to smell better. 😁