Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Won't Open Using Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen some similar posts under the M3 and MY but I couldn't find anything for my 2022 MSLR. This is my third MS and I have always used the mobile charger to both charge and open the charge port. In the last few months, when I go to open the port with the mobile charger, it won't open. I eventually have yo get out my phone and open it that way. Is this a known flaw or perhaps something a service call could fix?

The little button on the charger could have gone bad. I don't think it's frequent but it's certainly not impossible. I presume you tried pressing at different angles, with your finger positioned differently. Do the buttons on other chargers, for example at the supercharger, work with your car?

The little button on the charger could have gone bad. I don't think it's frequent but it's certainly not impossible. I presume you tried pressing at different angles, with your finger positioned differently. Do the buttons on other chargers, for example at the supercharger, work with your car?
Haven't been to a Supercharger with this car. Often times, after pressing the button off and on for two minutes or so, the port will eventually open, so its not totally broken.

Sounds like I was describing that your car is asleep. Long press the button and wait 5 seconds or so, then press it again and see if it doesn't open for you. I hear the contactors closing (a loud clunking sound) when mine starts waking up.

So just like an old ICE car?!
Exactly, push on the door front corner (under it is a button) and the door opens. It opens if car is not locked. I have to do this each time with third party chargers. Also this revealed button is for unlocking as well, if the wand is missing a release button.

BE3B7604-FB00-4C60-9733-D8A0E4A8BBE7.jpeg

Same issue with my new 2023 Model S. Tried two of my cables with NO success - port will not open when the cable button is pushed. Port opens from the car screen and from the app. Both of my Tesla cables work perfectly with my Model 3 and my old 2020 Model S, so it's not an 'old' button issue. Car awake and not in sleep mode. Car door open, handles presented.

Tesla 'repair' was to remove and replace the 12V battery. Might have helped in the service bay but it still did not work once I got home. Service Manager told me a few days later that it's a known Tesla issue that will be corrected with a firmware update. We'll see!