Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge scheduling (again... sorry!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have to hold Tesla to account for this sort of thing - it's not good enough to say it's "the Tesla way" (not that you said this, but others have) as if it is some sort of excuse for all the issues with the car.
I have very often said “It’s the Tesla Way”
I’ve always said it, as have many others, in an attempt to signify its their (crap) way, rather than a satisfactory way

I have very often said “It’s the Tesla Way”
I’ve always said it, as have many others, in an attempt to signify its their (crap) way, rather than a satisfactory way

When people (not necessarily you) say "It's the Tesla Way" like some sort of excuse, it's as if they are suggesting I'm stupid for wanting to get Tesla to make improvements. Comes across as dismissive. You know, sort of "that's the way it is, tough" or some such, used as a way of shutting any critical discussion down. This is why I dislike the phrase so much.

When people (not necessarily you) say "It's the Tesla Way" like some sort of excuse, it's as if they are suggesting I'm stupid for wanting to get Tesla to make improvements. Comes across as dismissive. You know, sort of "that's the way it is, tough" or some such, used as a way of shutting any critical discussion down. This is why I dislike the phrase so much.
Understood, for the record, my opinion FWIW is that the "Tesla Way" is in some ways a breath of fresh air, but in other ways, it creates more frustration than is comfortable (for me)
I have no problem with the phrase, I use it to show that Tesla do it "their" way, not necessarily the way many would expect or indeed desire.
Beware the "Tesla Way" you might not like it! :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you… but I’m just going to play devils advocate for a minute because I did actually have a couple of rare occasions where a fixed stop time would have been a problem. It made me wonder if this scenario is why Tesla decided not to offer a simple start stop.

Here’s what happened: my car was set with its start charging time as per my cheap rate. I had 50% battery and needed to leave first thing in the morning with close to 100% battery to be able to get to an appointment.

My car started to charge as normal and would easily be able to add 50% in the 4 hour window at 7+kW/32amp charging rate(M3 SR+). Except that unbeknownst to me my car picked up a voltage issue during the night and backed off the charge rate to 16amps. Of course the car took about 7 hours to charge and went beyond my cheap rate window. But… my car was ready with a full battery and I made my appointment. If the car had used a simple stop and start time I would have been in trouble! In that situation I would rather pay the higher rate and have the percentage needed than be left short.

This may mean that a stop start timer would be better not being too simple… it would need some conditional overrides available too.

if you *need* a set % then don't use scheduled charging, use scheduled start time. In your case it should have stopped within the off peak anyway (happy path), but would have continued on to ensure your % with lower amps (fallback)

the main 'start/stop timer' use case is for daily use of off peak with both the time window *and* % charge being limits, whichever is hit first will stop charging.

both are valid cases, but only one is currently offered.