Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge set to 75% but charging to 78%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2023 M3P and I have my settings set to 75%, and it is enought for me most of the time. I noticed recently the change is going up to 78%.

Do you have an idea why the car is doing this?

Regards,

Cesar

Screenshot_20230904_111839_Tesla.jpg

That means you have at least 3% battery degradation very recently. The car estimates how much energy is going to go into the battery to reach target SoC, then recalculates once that energy is added. Since there is less overall capacity due to degradation, the final SoC % is higher than target.

Na, I’m messin’ with you. 😁 It’s a common thing. Car targets whatever you set, but sometimes overshoots the amount when balancing the cells. You’ll find a number of threads on this subject. Don’t worry about it.

Upvote 0
Also battery temperature affects SOC. Warmer battery has more energy. So if you charge at night, then car warms up in the sun during day, SOC can go up even if it's not charged.

This also happens the other way around. Battery heats up when you drive the car, then when you park, SOC will go down when battery cools down. So parking at single digits % can easily mean you are at 0% a few hours later..

Upvote 0
That means you have at least 3% battery degradation very recently. The car estimates how much energy is going to go into the battery to reach target SoC, then recalculates once that energy is added. Since there is less overall capacity due to degradation, the final SoC % is higher than target.

Na, I’m messin’ with you. 😁 It’s a common thing. Car targets whatever you set, but sometimes overshoots the amount when balancing the cells. You’ll find a number of threads on this subject. Don’t worry about it.

I almost had heart attack here. Thx for the explanation

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0