Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Speed Reduced to 22amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've charged at 2 different work locations without problems until recently. Both show 22amps because "external cord used or bad wiring" It usually charges at 30amps.

Is this a car issue I need to bring it in for? Other's at work haven't noticed any issues with charging.
Thanks

Attachments

• Tesla.JPG
    Tesla.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 119
That is a safety feature of Tesla kicking in because of detecting some weak/marginal wiring connections further upstream by the level of voltage drop.
"Others" wouldn't have seen this with their other types of electric cars because it seems that Tesla is the only EV maker that does this safety check for excessive voltage drop.
Since heavy current draw is what pulls the voltage down, you could try starting off with around 25/26, and it may be able to stay steady at that level instead of dropping down from 30 to 22. The safety mechanism is that it will try 75% of the current level to see if that is solid enough. Lots of reports on this forum of people seeing 40 drop down to 30 for this reason.

That would mean TWO different charging sites BOTH have issues exactly at the same time?? I'm not talking 2 chargers at the same work location. I'm talking 2 different sites miles apart owned by two different companies using two different Level 2 chargers.
Both sites worked fine for the last 2 years, until recently.

Thanks for the input, but that just doesn't smell right. Unless a recent update changed some "acceptable parameter" in the car that used to be ok.

I've charged at 2 different work locations without problems until recently. Both show 22amps because "external cord used or bad wiring" It usually charges at 30amps.

Is this a car issue I need to bring it in for? Other's at work haven't noticed any issues with charging.
Thanks
I think "Ext. cord" may stand for extension cord, not external. My guess is that it is seeing low voltage characteristic of poor wiring or use of an extension cord. Since those sites are miles apart, this would suggest a problem with your mobile connector.

Does the car charge properly at home or at superchargers? Have you tried one of the 240V charging stations at a Tesla delivery center or service center? That would confirm or eliminate your mobile connector as the problem.

I think "Ext. cord" may stand for extension cord, not external. My guess is that it is seeing low voltage characteristic of poor wiring or use of an extension cord. Since those sites are miles apart, this would suggest a problem with your mobile connector.

Does the car charge properly at home or at superchargers? Have you tried one of the 240V charging stations at a Tesla delivery center or service center? That would confirm or eliminate your mobile connector as the problem.
These are level 2 stations. He’s not using the Mobile Connector.
Did the second location also show only 196V?

Sorry for confusion. Theses are level 2 chargers at 2 different work locations both using the J1772 adaptor.
I'll have to check the other location about the voltage the next time I'm there.
Charging at superchargers seems fine and I'll be charging tonight at home. Will report back if there's an issue.

Maybe it is the adaptor since both locations worked well in the past for years. I haven't dropped it or damaged it as far as I know.
Thanks for the input. I'll charge at home and if it's ok, I'm going to guess its the adaptor.

Model S/X/3 SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

But I seriously doubt there’s anything wrong with your adapter. That’s never been reported to cause slower charging. Either they work or they don’t. You have a voltage drop from 208V to 196V. Reducing amps is the car’s expected response. It’s not a bug, it’s a safety feature.

Do any other Teslas plug in at work? What do they get?

Reactions: Rocky_H and BerTX