Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Stats in Tesla App May Be Understating Gas Savings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a rainy day project with some open APIs I could find to pull in data. EnergyCalc.
Did it mainly for a few people that had spreadsheet phobias :). Unfortunately the most current power rates I could find were from 2012 ( but you can manually tweak if you know that info). So many friends didn't even know what most of the acronyms meant so I tried to back it up with help.

I did a rainy day project with some open APIs I could find to pull in data. EnergyCalc.
Did it mainly for a few people that had spreadsheet phobias :). Unfortunately the most current power rates I could find were from 2012 ( but you can manually tweak if you know that info). So many friends didn't even know what most of the acronyms meant so I tried to back it up with help.
That site is awesome! Nice work.

Reactions: mstatkus
Yes there is a way to get the REAL cost of what any EV costs. Buy a electric meter
and wire inline with your charger. It will show
you the KWHs used. That includes charging and any other losses. Take that and divide
by the miles driven. Then multiply by your
KWH rate. My Tesla Y cost me 4.5 cents
to drive at a KWH rate of .108
View attachment 792006
Cool! What's the efficiency ac-dc that you get. Mobile charger is 30 amp?

Mine is overestimated by about $40.
This is probably because i sit in the car for 1 hour each day during my lunch and it consumes power.
I thought about adding some cold/hot multipliers or added weight, but it would be ballpark 10-15% up to 50% towing and that average watt hour. I sit in the car for as much as a hour while my wife is at an appointment and run stuff and TezLab always shows my efficiency drop to 64% vs my normal 85-90%. Knowing climate by zip code may help estimate over the advertised watt-hour or kilowatt-hour.
Heat pump vs resistive heating also makes it tough to guesstimate.

I went 100%+ solar about 12 years ago. I purchased a M3 SR in 2019. My electrical bill comes do once a year period. That's when either the electric company pays me or I pay them. The first full year of the Tesla charging along with my home, I ended up paying $85. ??

This year I sold the SR and purchased an 2022 M3P. This will make the bill at the end of the period a little higher but no worth thinking about

Nothing finer than a 100% solar home and a Tesla

Life's good

Reactions: Graham J
I went 100%+ solar about 12 years ago. I purchased a M3 SR in 2019. My electrical bill comes do once a year period. That's when either the electric company pays me or I pay them. The first full year of the Tesla charging along with my home, I ended up paying $85. ??

This year I sold the SR and purchased an 2022 M3P. This will make the bill at the end of the period a little higher but no worth thinking about

Nothing finer than a 100% solar home and a Tesla

Life's good
What are you using for the whole house battery?

As a fun little test I decided to see how accurate the "gas savings" was in the Tesla app. Per Tesla my equivalent gasoline cost is $253 however, I am calculating $315 in gas savings as of today. There are obviously a lot of variables that go into the calculation, so I broke it down below. In order to get to the Tesla gas equivalent amount, the avg price per gallon of gas would need to be around $3.29, which it was maybe 4 weeks ago. So who knows how often Tesla updates their reference gas prices, the app simply says "The current calculation is based on gas prices in South Carolina." I am also not certain I drove 2,159 miles in the past 31 days, even with a 60 mile roundtrip commute M-F. I am not how Tesla would get from kWh charged to miles driven other than how I outlined the math below. Feel free to provide your thoughts and feedback.

Avg price of regular gas in SC as of today: $4.08 Click Here for Source
MPG used per Tesla: 28 mpg Click Here for Source

My math:
View attachment 779230

Charge stats as of today:
View attachment 779226
Gas in NY now averages 4.13 per gallon. Yet in the charges stats it shows NY gas average as 5.55. Who inputs this info and how can I change to reflect the proper average?

Gas in NY now averages 4.13 per gallon. Yet in the charges stats it shows NY gas average as 5.55. Who inputs this info and how can I change to reflect the proper average?
Only thing I’m aware of with any state wide accuracy is AAA Gas Prices and it can get down to a county level. But most high level apps will most likely work with a average price at a higher level.
I had similar issues just finding actual power rates. Most the data was a decade old. So its ballpark but requires some to look at their bill or find out if the power company was renamed since.

Any thoughts on how to get from kWh charged to miles driven then?

Since my car is less than a year old, I was able to use the "Year" function to get my total kwh and my odometer reading to get total miles. This sent me down a bit a rabbit hole but for someone like me in cold climate the gas savings are WAY overstated. It must assume I use all my kwhs efficiently when many times my car uses as much energy keeping my battery warm in the parking lot as it does propelling me on my 12 mile commute.

Basically I used miles driven as my starting point to back calculate estimated gas costs. Compared to the Tesla method, I get way less savings (but still in the green). I should note I live in one the coldest areas in the lower 48 so I am not an average case, but this does highlight that Tesla must be using some conversion factor from kwh to gallons of gas. My gas vehicle does not consume gas while sitting in a cold parking lot and that factor effects the numbers greatly.

Here is my math:

1682527205343.png

1682527262779.png

Attachments

• 1682526992970.png
    1682526992970.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1682527010746.png
    1682527010746.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 25