Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge STOPPED Interesting Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you can confirm by testing another Tesla Model Y that there is an issue with the power coming into your home, in your neighborhood the issue appears to be with your Tesla Model Y. If I was going to start swapping parts to identify a faulty component I would start with the charging port, then the charging port wire harness and go from there.
Exactly what I mentioned to the High Voltage tech doing the work yesterday. He said he doubts if tesla engineers will approve of that but will ask them.
I personally think the issue is two fold now, 1)grid has a a issue
2)something else is wrong with my tesla like the receptacle or wire/harness. The tech said the receptacle comes all one piece with the harness.

Exactly what I mentioned to the High Voltage tech doing the work yesterday. He said he doubts if tesla engineers will approve of that but will ask them.
I personally think the issue is two fold now, 1)grid has a a issue
2)something else is wrong with my tesla like the receptacle or wire/harness. The tech said the receptacle comes all one piece with the harness.
Did your issue get resolved? I have the same problem with my model 3. It stops charging after adding 10 miles or so. I tried the wall charger and mobile connector and both have the same problem. Tesla mobile service checked and told they couldn't replicate the problem.

Reactions: lachambers
Did your issue get resolved? I have the same problem with my model 3. It stops charging after adding 10 miles or so. I tried the wall charger and mobile connector and both have the same problem. Tesla mobile service checked and told they couldn't replicate the problem.
Have you tried charging it to another location?
Neighbors or a friends house?,if it does stop at another location it's probably the car.
Also try your charger on another Tesla...

Reactions: lachambers
Have you tried charging it to another location?
Neighbors or a friends house?,if it does stop at another location it's probably the car.
Also try your charger on another Tesla...

Hi Everyone, NO IT DID NOT GET RESOLVED . I had my power company (FPL) come out and check out my house and they found NO ISSUES. They gave me a graph of the 3 day testing and all is normal. I have sent the graph and letter stating that there is NO Issues to Tesla in Delray Beach ,FL and they are looking into it. They told me that next week will be a better week to bring in. Not sure what is next but I asked them if they could change the receptacle and they said they would ask their Engineering Dept.
AGAIN, My MY LR charges fine away from my power grid. Next door neighbor and down the street it stops charging.
I have charged 2 model Y's 1 Model 3 and a mode S and a model X at my house and they all charge fine except mine. And I am have tried using my Wall Connector and 2 different Mobile connectors ALL indicates on my app or display "Charging Stopped" and it charges fine at all Super Chargers.
One last note is that if It stops charging at night and I leave it plugged over night it will always start charging again at around the 6am and it will usually stop charging again.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is a similar issue reported in a thread over here:

You might try disabling "Allow Mobile Access" and see if you are having the same problem with some rogue remote connection telling the car to stop charging.

If it's only happening while AC charging then it sounds like your onboard charger is either heating up or has an internal loose connection and causing it to fault out.
Thanks for the idea but my car charges fine away from the house. Whether it's plugged into supercharger or mobile charger or wall connector at another location everything works and charges fine.I am thinking sckor added a new thought and has something to do with either the mobile phone access or now I am also thinking about my house wifi since it only acts up at my house. And, all the other Teslas that were charging fine at my house did not use my wifi.

At least when he went to pick it up at the service center, they told him.........No Charge o_O
Seriously, sorry for your problem and hope you get it resolved.
Haha, just made an appointment for tomorrow, Tuesday 8/10) to hopefully find out if it's my wifi or mobile access /smartphone problem. Thanks for the good thoughts! I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem. I'll let everyone know whatever I find out.

Haha, just made an appointment for tomorrow, Tuesday 8/10) to hopefully find out if it's my wifi or mobile access /smartphone problem. Thanks for the good thoughts! I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem. I'll let everyone know whatever I find out.
I also have an appointment for today (8/10) to check this issue. Let me see what they say. I left it plugged in overnight. As you mentioned, it started charging again sometime early morning.

I also have an appointment for today (8/10) to check this issue. Let me see what they say. I left it plugged in overnight. As you mentioned, it started charging again sometime early morning.
Hi ssur, not resolved but I think I found the culprit. Try turning off your MOBILE ASSITSTANT in the menu under Safety. You will need your Tesla ID and password to turn it off. See if that helps. I believe it is my WiFi on my phone which goes through the Tesla Mobile app. Try turning it off and charging your car it doesn't matter what charger you use cuz they all are affected by it.
Let me know if you have issues. Good luck.

I'm not saying this is being caused by aliens from another planet but ... it's aliens.
Hi jcanoe think I found the culprit. Turning off the MOBILE ASSITSTANT in the menu under Safety. You need your Tesla ID and password to turn it off. I believe it is my WiFi on my phone which goes through the Tesla Mobile app which is stopping the charging. I can also turn off my phone wifi and use the phones mobile connection to access the tesla app after you turn off the wifi connection. I just got back from informing the service center of my findings. They were appreciative and very surprised. They are going to inform their engineering department about the fix. Thanks for your support on this CRAZY issue.
👍

Reactions: house9 and jcanoe
Hi ssur, not resolved but I think I found the culprit. Try turning off your MOBILE ASSITSTANT in the menu under Safety. You will need your Tesla ID and password to turn it off. See if that helps. I believe it is my WiFi on my phone which goes through the Tesla Mobile app. Try turning it off and charging your car it doesn't matter what charger you use cuz they all are affected by it.
Let me know if you have issues. Good luck.
Thanks! Let me give it a try. I just came back from the service center. They couldn't find any issue with the car. They suggested it must be some electrical issue in my house.

Thanks! Let me give it a try. I just came back from the service center. They couldn't find any issue with the car. They suggested it must be some electrical issue in my house.
That's exactly what they told me that I had a issue from the power grid I called my local power company out and they checked it and there was no problem at all. Let me know what happens after you try it

That's exactly what they told me that I had a issue from the power grid I called my local power company out and they checked it and there was no problem at all. Let me know what happens after you try it
There was a software update that I installed after I came back from the service center. After that, the car is charging fine and it doesn't stop charging like before. So I didn't have to do the fix you mentioned.

There was a software update that I installed after I came back from the service center. After that, the car is charging fine and it doesn't stop charging like before. So I didn't have to do the fix you mentioned.
I started having this problem after updating to 2021.4.21.3. The car will stop charging shortly after I start it. Like 10 minutes. If I leave it plugged in overnight it will complete the charge. Scheduled charge is turned off. I have a Gen 3 wall charger on a 60am breaker. I initially thought that running my AC and the charger at the same time would cause it to stop but the AC runs overnight as well. Temp outside and in my garage are not high. I have 150amp service. EDIT. - I think I fund the problem. Reading other threads where people said it was coming from the Mobile Access telling it to stop. I checked a charging app I linked to my account and it was set for smart charging. When I turned that off it said your car will now be able to charge anytime.

Last edited: