Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge STOPPED Interesting Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y stops charging after a few minutes on its own. Doesn't matter what charger I use or what amps or volts it is set on. I have charged 5 other Teslas at my house with my wall connector and none of them stopped charging. Tesla changed the PCS (power conversion system) and still stops charging. I drove MY to another house and charged it and it stopped charging also. So it sure seems to me that it is the car and not the chargers. The SC says it may be a power company grid issue. I guess they can view charging history.
Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be?

Last edited:
Usually when charging is consistently being interrupted shortly after charging begins this could be due to a bad connection or even a cracked insulator in the charging port. Both are common issues. As current flows the temperature of the wire, connector rises. The connection expands and breaks contact. A cracked insulator will usually reveal itself when attempting charge under wet or damp conditions, usually as a ground fault.

The fact that you are able to charge using a Supercharger would point to something else besides the charging port. Since the PCS has already been replaced perhaps the PCS wiring.

When attempting to charge at home does your Wall Connector display any lights indicating what type of fault occurred?

Last edited:
Since charging is consistently being interrupted shortly after charging begins this could be due to a bad connection or even a cracked insulator in the charging port. Both are common issues. As current flows the temperature of the wire, connector rises. The connection expands and breaks contact. A cracked insulator will usually reveal itself when attempting charge under wet or damp conditions, usually as a ground fault. When attempting to charge at home does your Wall Connector display any lights indicating what type of fault occurred?
No none, only a blue steady light indicating charging stopped. I just tried charging with the mobile charger 240 V 6amps and it stopped charging after 5 min, it usually takes longer than that with the wall connector. It could be the wiring,
Thanks
Thanks

The Service Center should be able to confirm that charging is interrupted when charging L1/L2. Bring your Mobile Connector to the Service Center so they can verify that the Tesla vehicle is unable to charge L1/L2 but can charge via a Supercharger.

9k miles. I'm having a similar issue with my Clipper Creek EVSE (dedicated 50A circuit), using the Tesla j1772 adapter. Even dialing back the car's draw to 30amps, it still keeps shutting off.
SC checked it several weeks ago on their L2, said it was fine. The car Supercharges just fine.

Last edited:
9k miles. I'm having a similar issue with my Clipper Creek EVSE (dedicated 50A circuit), using the Tesla j1772 adapter. Even dialing back the car's draw to 30amps, it still keeps shutting off.
SC checked it several weeks ago on their L2, said it was fine. The car Supercharges just fine.

Are you able to charge using a Supercharger? Maybe this issue is heat related.

The Service Center should be able to confirm that charging is interrupted when charging L1/L2. Bring your Mobile Connector to the Service Center so they can verify that the Tesla vehicle is unable to charge L1/L2 but can charge via a Supercharger.
Thanks jconoe, very much appreciated. This issue has been going on for a couple of months and they had my MY for two weeks. Frustrating 😢

Has occurred twice with my MY at Supercharger (150kW). First time, the cable was hot. Moved to another charger and charging resumed and completed. Second time, was at the "B" unit and the "A" unit was occupied. Started charging with 80 mile charge state (range) showing; left car. Returned and charging stopped after adding 20 miles range. Has this happened to anyone else?

Odd. I turned my MYs acceptance rate back up to 40A, and it charged from 26% to 82% w/o interruption.

I did plug/unplug the EVSE plug and the J1772 adapter a few times. My ClipperCreek is 3 years old, used previously only on (low Amp) Cadillac ELR, Ford Fusion, Nissan Leaf, w/o incident. The EVSE plug doesn't appear to have any damage, or unusual wear.

It might help to occasionally reset the EVSE. With the CC EVSE not plugged in, charging the Tesla or other plug-in vehicle you might want to cycle the circuit breaker off and back on (waiting maybe 30 seconds before turning on the breaker.)

Have you tried resetting the cars computer? If not you might try that. With the car in Park hold down both roller buttons on the steering wheel until the screen goes black. The computer will restart after a few seconds. I also agree with the suggestion about turning off the wall charger's circuit breaker to reset the unit. You could try resetting the computer first then the other if no help.

Reactions: GOVA
Have you tried resetting the cars computer? If not you might try that. With the car in Park hold down both roller buttons on the steering wheel until the screen goes black. The computer will restart after a few seconds. I also agree with the suggestion about turning off the wall charger's circuit breaker to reset the unit. You could try resetting the computer first then the other if no help.
Thanks for the update, I have reset the car's computer to no avail. I have also reset the wall connectors circuit breaker also no luck. But, here is a very interesting observation from today. I drove by model y to another location out of my electric grid and used the mobile charger that came with the car and charged it with 240 volts for almost three hours and it charged fine no stopped charging occurred. I brought the car home and plugged it into my dryer plug and using the same mobile charger instead of the wall connector and it stopped charging less than 10 minutes after I plugged it in.
So maybe it is the grid?
Thanks jconoe again for the help!

You might try deleting your Home location in the Tesla Navigation system, then seeing if you can charge. There is a relationship between the Home location and the Tesla's charging settings. It is possible that this may have gotten corrupted. If this works then save your current location as the Home location in the Navigation system.