Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge time. Am I missing something?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
There is something I don't understand. Perhaps someone can help me out?

Today I have used almost 48 kWh. I charge at 6 kW and the car says it needs 10.5 hours to charge to 90%. I always charge to 90% so when I started my day today it was also on 90%.

If I used 48 kWh and I charge at 6 kW why does it need 10.5 hours and not 48/6 is 8 hours to charge? Are there so many losses during charging or am I missing something?

Two things:

(1) yes, the charger eats up something like 400W I think

(2) you may have used 48 kWh driving, but you may have lost some energy due to phantom drain -- the losses that come in when the car uses energy to keep the battery pack warm or perform other tasks while parked and not driving. These don't get counted in your odometer I find.

You have 20% losses when charging. Both the charger and the battery itself isn't 100% efficient. The battery is 93% efficient. The chargers around 85%. The car itself also needs some power (coolant pump, computer, cooling fans). The charge time estimate is also not 100% accurate. So all things considered, what you see it realistic and correct.

When I turn mine on at 80% and try to charge it to 90 or higher for trip it definitely doesn’t charge very quickly. May be case dependent.

On L2 30 Amp, there is no reduction in charge speed up to 95% or so. If you sit in the car and have the AC or heater running, the car will still show 30 Amps but part of the power will be used for the HVAC thus the battery will charge slower. It's a common point of confusion with Tesla owners. You watch the car charge from the app and see an estimate how long it will take. You go up to the car and sit it in and the time goes up all of a sudden. It's because when you are in it the AC or heater turns on taking up some of the energy.

On L2 30 Amp, there is no reduction in charge speed up to 95% or so. If you sit in the car and have the AC or heater running, the car will still show 30 Amps but part of the power will be used for the HVAC thus the battery will charge slower. It's a common point of confusion with Tesla owners. You watch the car charge from the app and see an estimate how long it will take. You go up to the car and sit it in and the time goes up all of a sudden. It's because when you are in it the AC or heater turns on taking up some of the energy.
Nope, no one in the car. Nothing running. I know quite well what is using what.

Yes, some energy is lost as heat in both the battery and the charger, just like when charging a phone.

Unlike the phone, more energy can be lost, if for example the battery arrives hot and needs to be cooled during charging to prevent degradation.

The app tells me that.
The app ... that talks with what ? And reports what ? There is a path from EVSE to on-board-charger to battery. Losses occur along the way.

As I told you earlier, if you want to have a somewhat accurate accounting you should place an inexpensive ammeter in your panel on one of the 120v lines attached to your EVSE. I say somewhat because you will still be guessing at the voltage but that is likely to be within a few percent of actual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dutchie
When you first plug in your Tesla it will throw up an estimated charge time to reach your selected fill. It will take into consideration several factors to post this estimate.

It will see how much current your socket is providing as well as the charge rate you selected. Will look at the temp of the battery and ambient as well as the condition of your battery.

From time to time it will reevaluate it's estimate and post what if thinks will be the time to charge.

It would not suprise me that in a few minutes it is calculating closer to what you are expecting.

The app ... that talks with what ? And reports what ? There is a path from EVSE to on-board-charger to battery. Losses occur along the way.

As I told you earlier, if you want to have a somewhat accurate accounting you should place an inexpensive ammeter in your panel on one of the 120v lines attached to your EVSE. I say somewhat because you will still be guessing at the voltage but that is likely to be within a few percent of actual.
The Tesla app, I'd imagine. When the car is set to display battery % instead of miles, mine shows kw while charging instead of mph. It doesn't display any decimals, so it's only +/- 1kw accurate.