Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Greetings all,

I am in NJ and waiting for Phase 2 of the Charge-Up New Jersey rebate program to begin. All indications I see are that it will resume in July 2021.

The program specifically states it WILL NOT apply to any vehicle purchased between the end of Phase 1 (Dec 15, 2020) and the time Phase 2 starts up (July 2021).

I was wondering if in this case "purchased" means actually taking delivery or just placing the order. That is, can I order it now and delay delivery until the NJ rebate is turned back on in order to qualify?

Reactions: Rachmaninov
Greetings all,

I am in NJ and waiting for Phase 2 of the Charge-Up New Jersey rebate program to begin. All indications I see are that it will resume in July 2021.

The program specifically states it WILL NOT apply to any vehicle purchased between the end of Phase 1 (Dec 15, 2020) and the time Phase 2 starts up (July 2021).

I was wondering if in this case "purchased" means actually taking delivery or just placing the order. That is, can I order it now and delay delivery until the NJ rebate is turned back on in order to qualify?
Check the FAQs. Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Phone support is very responsive and you can ask them your questions for a clear understanding.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Greetings all,

I'm in the same boat. I'm also in NJ and waiting for the program to start up again. I was thinking if ordering early a d delaying delivery until the program starts. According to the FAQ, it looks like we can order now then not take delivery until the program starts and still be eligible for the rebate.

I suspect you are right, but it would be great to get some confirmation. Couldn't find anything in writing on the website or even in reading the program documents. Maybe I'll try the phone support as mentioned above, but my experience with phone support in general is the answer tends to vary depending on who answers the phone. Then you've got one of those "but I called and spoke with someone and they told me blah blah blah" events. ;)

I think this basically says I can order and delay delivery until after the rebate eligibility date. If you call and get some info, definitely post it!
Screenshot_20210322-000944~2.jpg

I read that as well and thought it might say just the opposite. That is, that for Tesla vehicles it is the *order date* that had to be before the program ended on Dec 15 last year (or in our case after the program restarts this Summer). But then some other verbiage seemed to suggest it was the delivery date that mattered primarily, and order date was kind of an optional qualifier. So I am not sure.

Greetings all,

I am in the same boat. It seems like we will want to wait a few more weeks as the rep from dealer told me to try to take delivery within 90 days from your initial order. She was really cool about waiting for the rebate, and said that ordering in mid/late april would probably be good. The chargeup NJ website has been updated to clarify that a preorder is fine, you just can't take delivery/purchase until 7/1/21.
Again, I am no expert, so please post any other updates you might find on this as well as I am sure a lot of people will be wondering the same.

I am in the same boat. It seems like we will want to wait a few more weeks as the rep from dealer told me to try to take delivery within 90 days from your initial order. She was really cool about waiting for the rebate, and said that ordering in mid/late april would probably be good. The chargeup NJ website has been updated to clarify that a preorder is fine, you just can't take delivery/purchase until 7/1/21.
Again, I am no expert, so please post any other updates you might find on this as well as I am sure a lot of people will be wondering the same.
Good stuff. I might call tomorrow and see if I can get any info.

Can you link or screenshot where they added the update?

Can you link or screenshot where they added the update?
My message was created about a week ago, but was delayed being posted as i was a new member waiting to be approved. It looks like they tweaked some of the verbage again in the FAQ section over the past week. I was going to wait until April to reach out to them as I want to be within the 90 day window to order anyways...possibly even closer to July depending on how the timeframes work with Tesla and financing.

Below is an email I sent to Charge Up NJ and the response I got. Seems like they don't really know anything yet.

"Hello,
If I am planning to purchase a Tesla Model 3, do I need to wait until July to place my deposit/order? Or can I reserve one now and just not take delivery until July? The wording in the FAQ is confusing to me and I don’t want to screw it up.

Thank you for your help.

Matt

Hello,

Thank you for your email. I would go with the FAQ: "I ordered, purchased, or leased my vehicle between December 15, 2020 - Summer 2021. Will I be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive?" which states: Due to a lack of funding, vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased after the deadline of December 15, 2020 and before the launch of the point-of sale program in Summer 2021 will not be eligible for an incentive.

Since the point-of-sale program is still under development there are not many details released yet. I would wait until a firm date is set and program details are released to ensure you are eligible.

My guess is they will cut the rebate amount to under 2K. They must have realized that the response is overwhelming and the funds will deplete very fast. Let's see.
I thought I read the $5k was mapped out for a certain amount of years. I thought I read that this past year ran out quick as they pulled funds for Covid relief programs. But I agree with you, this will either run out quick again this year if they do not have significant funding allocated, or they would need to reduce amounts to keep it active all year. I am hoping for the $5k as I have been planning/waiting/banking on it.

With where the federal infrastructure bill is at, I'm starting to feel that will be a better option. It's already next on Biden's plate so I think we should see a pass by Summer. I think we might even have an opportunity to get both incentives but I'd settle for either one because I want the car sooner than later.

Where did you here it was “next on Biden’s plate”? I thought it was just in the initial submitted state and still needs to pass senate and house first according to this link.
It might have been during his conference but I think it was a headline after that I saw on CNN or MSNBC.

It's going to be rolled into the infrastructure bill.

It might have been during his conference but I think it was a headline after that I saw on CNN or MSNBC.

It's going to be rolled into the infrastructure bill.
There are multiple bills being proposed. The house is working on what they will present to Biden. Infrastructure is the next piece of legislation they are working and the ev bill, in whatever format they propose it, is supposed to be included in it.