Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to put the math out there:

There's $23,000,000 left in funding for this phase 2 program

Assuming everyone is getting 5,000 back that would only cover 4,600 electric vehicles.

Assuming 25% are getting 2,000 and the other 75% are getting 5,000 that would be 6,325 total electric vehicles

Just as a reference there were about 200,000 deliveries in Q2 of 2021 of which its estimated NJ was somewhere between 5-8% of them. Even assuming NJ was 5% of deliveries that's 10,000 vehicles in NJ.

Averaging out the two options above, let's say only 5,500 vehicles will qualify... that's half of the Q2 deliveries. And Q3 is expected to bring in a ton more NJ orders because of this incentive.

Even taking into account Performance models and S/X models (that wouldnt qualify anyways) it wouldn't really change the numbers much since there werent that many deliveries of those types of cars anyways.

Needless to say (unless my math is ridiculously off) most people who are ordering for Q3 will NOT get the incentive as the funds are going to run out pretty quickly.
Very good perspective. Another way to look is:

Goal is 330,000 vehicles in 10 years. Say 90% i.e. 300,000 are qualified for rebate. Half of 300,000 qualifies for $2,000 (150,000 x $2,000=$300,000,000) and another half qualifies for full $5,000 (150,000 x $5,000 = $750,000,000). That translates to $105 million per year over 10 years (if NJ wants to be fair to all to get rebate if qualifies) while state has only allocated $30 million per year - meaning running out of fund in 4 months each year?

Very good perspective. Another way to look is:

Goal is 330,000 vehicles in 10 years. Say 90% i.e. 300,000 are qualified for rebate. Half of 300,000 qualifies for $2,000 (150,000 x $2,000=$300,000,000) and another half qualifies for full $5,000 (150,000 x $5,000 = $750,000,000). That translates to $105 million per year over 10 years (if NJ wants to be fair to all to get rebate if qualifies) while state has only allocated $30 million per year - meaning running out of fund in 4 months each year?

NJ State does not have Math aptitude to get a government job.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Exactly same experience except Insurance email just came in.
Just received a call from SC delivery dept. Now delivery is confirmed around 7/22 - more accurate date once closer. Car is ready to leave from California. Unfortunately also confirmed was that NO rebate for orders placed prior to phase 2 go-live.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpjnk
It will go by registration date; said many times by who? I've heard it, but I don't know that I can say I have reliable sources. In contrast, the Terms and Conditions specify multiple times in multiple places that your order has to be placed after the program launch date. In this document that you must sign yourself for eligibility, very explicitly in the Applicant Eligibility section you're agreeing:

The applicant must:
3. Agree that the entirety of the purchase or lease for an eligible vehicle must occur on or after the official launch of Phase Two, the Point-of-Sale Program, and in the State of New Jersey at a participating dealership or showroom.
a. Vehicles ordered in advance of the Phase Two launch will not be eligible for an incentive.

Additionally there's a section for those who try to sidestep this:

False Statements:
An applicant, showroom, dealership or vehicle manufacturer providing a false statement in any of the information submitted to the Charge Up New Jersey program may be criminally liable in accordance with applicable state or federal statutes, and any such false statement could result in incentive denial and/or removal from the Charge Up New Jersey program.

I'm not fully disagreeing, there definitely seems to be room for Tesla to fudge the numbers in your favor. The real damning part is that they must submit the Purchase Contract to apply for the credit, which may reference your Order Contract, containing your order date therein (which they could flat out lie about, I suppose). It seems like a risk for both parties, and who can say whether they want to do it with a line of people out the door willing to take your order the second you cancel.

It's really a gamble, just as it was a gamble when I placed my order in the middle of June. I ate the $100 and reordered earlier today, and I have 100% confidence that I will receive this incentive and I fall in line with the requirements, and the peace of mind is worth something. Anyone who waits to find out what happens will now fall behind me in line if they eventually reorder.

I will say, though, if you have an open order in and there's a chance Tesla will work with you on the bypassing this, and you don't mind the gamble that you might end up reordering even later and ending up further back in line, by all means wait it out. If you're right then you'll save $100 and get your car sooner. If you're wrong you're looking at a very late delivery. For me, the verbiage seems extremely clear. Whether we think it makes sense or not is another argument all together, but I know from where I'm sitting I have more peace of mind now.
Further, the discount from the NJ government is available only until the allocated budget gets over? So if you wait long and reorder may be the funding budget is over by that time?

Just received a call from SC delivery dept. Now delivery is confirmed around 7/22 - more accurate date once closer. Car is ready to leave from California. Unfortunately also confirmed was that NO rebate for orders placed prior to phase 2 go-live.
That surprises me. I thought they would allow the rebate. Especially since you had to click OK to agree to receive a radarless car. That should count as an new “order”.

So this means any one who had placed the order before 7/6 should cancel and reorder it now, if they were to get any rebate?

That surprises me. I thought they would allow the rebate. Especially since you had to click OK to agree to receive a radarless car. That should count as an new “order”.

So this means any one who had placed the order before 7/6 should cancel and reorder it now, if they were to get any rebate?
That's what I was told today. In my situation; $2,000 rebate is wash with price increase. Hopefully someone with pre-phase 2 order date picks up before me and share their experience. Customer Acceptance Date (aka Order Date) in MVPA still shows my original order date ( click OK to agree to receive a radarless car. That should count as an new “order”). Unless that date changes in MVPA to post Phase-2 I doubt Tesla will take a risk.

Further, the discount from the NJ government is available only until the allocated budget gets over? So if you wait long and reorder may be the funding budget is over by that time?
Good news is that everyone who ordered before the program went live should get denied for funds. It evens out the playing field for those of us who waited to order until the program went live on 07/06.

I’m feeling pretty good about getting the $2k since the majority of people ordered Teslas with the rebate last year. I doubt the program is going to run out ASAP.

Any news regarding the charger rebate? The BPU website still lists it as coming soon.
Charge Up website says same thing - coming soon. I don't have high hope for Tesla charger rebate - requirement probably would be that charger must send time of use data to utility companies which Tesla charger is not setup to do yet. It might be something similar to PSEG Long Island EV Charger Rebate .
I want to be optimistic here but what state & BPU has done to EV rebate ........

Just got assigned a VIN and delivery date of 7/19-7/25. I called and was also told that I would have to cancel the order as well in order to get the rebate... in my case I would save $400 by getting the rebate since the car price increased $1500 plus $100 non refundable order fee.

If they can recreate the order and "shift" my VIN to the new order I will do it. I will keep you guys updated. really hoping I get someone that has the power to just change the order date and I pay the extra $100 with the old pricing... will see.

I will keep you guys updated. really hoping I get someone that has the power to just change the order date and I pay the extra $100 with the old pricing... will see.
I haven’t heard of a single person on here getting their cake and eating it too with re-orders at legacy prices.

Is $400 worth pushing your delivery another month or two and all that aggravation?

Just got assigned a VIN and delivery date of 7/19-7/25. I called and was also told that I would have to cancel the order as well in order to get the rebate... in my case I would save $400 by getting the rebate since the car price increased $1500 plus $100 non refundable order fee.

If they can recreate the order and "shift" my VIN to the new order I will do it. I will keep you guys updated. really hoping I get someone that has the power to just change the order date and I pay the extra $100 with the old pricing... will see.
Thanks for the update. If you work out a way to keep your old pricing that would be great, but I suspect unlikely. Keep us posted.

This has been confirmed by Tesla SAs now enough times I believe it’s the only way. I cancelled and re ordered mine since my SA told me to. There’s a few people holding out hope on here that the order date won’t matter but I don’t think the odds are in their favor.